The Student Room Group

C4 integration....help!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by diane_h
Ahhhh..... THAT'S why I've been going around in circles and getting nowhere. By parts is
Int(U) dv = uv- INT(V) du?

Yes - in your version of IBP you should set:

u=x2u = x^2

dv=sinxdxdv = \sin x \, dx

After you do one application you will still have an integral left to evaluate that includes a product but this time just x instead of x^2. One more application sees you home.
Reply 21
Original post by Mr M
Yes - in your version of IBP you should set:

u=x2u = x^2

dv=sinxdxdv = \sin x \, dx

After you do one application you will still have an integral left to evaluate that includes a product but this time just x instead of x^2. One more application sees you home.

Ohhh thank you.... I think we've done this in class but maybe not formally called it integration by parts and we've not been told when it's suitable to use. All our teacher seems to bang on about is integration by substitution, chain rule and implicit differentiation in terms of the calculus in this module!
Original post by diane_h
Ohhh thank you.... I think we've done this in class but maybe not formally called it integration by parts and we've not been told when it's suitable to use. All our teacher seems to bang on about is integration by substitution, chain rule and implicit differentiation in terms of the calculus in this module!

If you have an integral that contains a product where one of the terms is x, x^2 or ln x you are likely to need IBP.
Reply 23
Can someone help me with this question: (NOTE- by '^4' i mean to the power of 4)
Integral of sec^4 x dx. let u=tanx.

I got tanx+c but the answer at the back of my textbook is: tanx+1/3 tan^3 x +c..........:s-smilie:
Reply 24
Help Needed!!!

Does Anyone Know How To Solve Connected Rates Of Change Probelems? Is There A Specific Way Of Doing It Or What?

Quick Reply

Latest