The Student Room Group

Is the Theory Test pointless?

In my opinion the Theory Test is just another way to get money out of people because they know that we will pay anything to have the freedom to jump in a car and go wherever we feel.

I've failed mines 2 times now and it's pissing me off. First time i got 49/50 and 42/75 and second time i got 48/50 and 43/75. So really if i clicked like 0.5 seconds earlier i would have saved myself £31 (which is a ridiculous price btw).

I was speaking to my Mum and Dad after i failed the 2nd time and they agreed that it was silly or at least the hazard perception is. It DOESN'T make you a better driver. Your reactions are different when your sitting infront of a screen clicking a mouse wheras when your driving if you need to take action then you will.

I'm ready to take my practical but i seem to be stuck on the hazard perception and feel as if i will never pass it. My driving is exceptionally good and i make very few mistakes when i'm out.

How does everyone else feel about Theory Tests?

Sorry for rambling and Cool Story Bro Comments are no longer funny so don't waste your time typing it :L

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ScottChalmers
In my opinion the Theory Test is just another way to get money out of people
I see threads about the practical test saying exactly the same thing... usually posted by people who have failed.

I've failed mines 2 times now and it's pissing me off.
'nuff said.

Everybody knows that sitting in front of a screen with a finger on a mouse is nothing like real driving. Real driving involves a whole different set of coordinated thought processes and actions. The hazard perception test is a very basic test to establish whether you even recognise a developing road hazard that slaps you in the face - and let's face it, those staged clips are almost slapstick in that the situations are more predictable than a Mr Bean movie. The point is to prove whether a learner can at least understand "ooh, something's happening", then set the process into motion. In the theory test, it's a twitch of your index finger. In real driving, it's an MSM procedure with infinite variables.

Rather than moaning about how high the bar is, simply learn to jump higher. It's not rocket science.
Reply 2
Advisor i actually do agree with you but the price is far too high. I'm insured on my mothers car (C3) and she literally just sits i don't need any help with my driving so how i (and every other learner) needs to go through all this just for a little pink card.
I think it is quite expensive for what it is, but I agree with both parts of the theory test being needed.
Reply 4
I'm insured on my mothers car (C3) and she literally just sits i don't need any help with my driving so how i (and every other learner) needs to go through all this just for a little pink card.
If your mother just sits there without helping, there's a chance it's because you're really good, but then again you could be committing fault after fault and your mum isn't noticing because she's not a qualified instructor. Regarding her driving skill, if her own planning and reactions are late, she won't notice anything different if yours are the same.

You should get advice from an experienced qualified driving instructor, regarding both your anticipation and planning when driving as well as on screen.
Reply 5
Cool story bro.
Reply 6
Original post by Advisor
If your mother just sits there without helping, there's a chance it's because you're really good, but then again you could be committing fault after fault and your mum isn't noticing because she's not a qualified instructor. Regarding her driving skill, if her own planning and reactions are late, she won't notice anything different if yours are the same.

You should get advice from an experienced qualified driving instructor, regarding both your anticipation and planning when driving as well as on screen.

My mum has been driving for nearly 25yrs and has had no claims so she is a good safe driver. I have had tuition from a qualified Driving Instructer. Almost 30 hours training with a qualified instructor. My mum didn't allow me to insure her car until my Driving Instructor let her know i was a good safe driver and was ready for my test.
Reply 7
You must be really slow to fail the hazard perception.
Reply 8
I was going to say it weeds out the utter idiots, but then I saw you'd taken it more than once, so sadly it hasn't put you off :frown:
Reply 9
The theory test is needed definitely. Just look at the number of divs there are sat in the middle lane of the motorway when the 1st lane is empty, completely oblivious to the rules of the road. I also think it would be beneficial if everyone did an hour's motorway lesson following passing their test.
Reply 10
Original post by Arcanine
You must be really slow to fail the hazard perception.

I'm far from slow my Exam Results prove that. It's hard for me to keep concentrated sitting in front of a screen is all. When your in a car it's easy to pick out hazards and decide in good time what you need to do. It's completely different from driving therefore what does it achieve?

Other than more hard earned money for the government to STEAL from you:angry:
Reply 11
Original post by Hopple
I was going to say it weeds out the utter idiots, but then I saw you'd taken it more than once, so sadly it hasn't put you off :frown:

Someone could fail a theory test a million times and still be an excellent safe driver so why would you want it to put people off?
Reply 12
Someone could fail a theory test a million times and still be an excellent safe driver

:rofl:

Someone who thinks roadsigns are ignorable adverts for waterproof paint? Someone with the reaction times of a snail?
O_O
Reply 14
Original post by Hopple
:rofl:

Someone who thinks roadsigns are ignorable adverts for waterproof paint? Someone with the reaction times of a snail?

Erm, Can't you read I blitzed the questions on both Theory tests. Hazard Perception i failed both times but infront of a computer screen clicking a mouse i just can't keep my concentration up. It's that simple. I am a perfectly safe driver that can drive with no help whatsoever and the Hazard Perception is killing me.
Reply 15
Erm, Can't you read I blitzed the questions on both Theory tests. Hazard Perception i failed both times but infront of a computer screen clicking a mouse i just can't keep my concentration up. It's that simple. I am a perfectly safe driver that can drive with no help whatsoever and the Hazard Perception is killing me.

You'd have squashed 20 people before realising that red light meant stop 100m back if you failed the reactions test.
Reply 16
The theory test needs to be more extensive, if anything. I really can't see how it's pointless? It's impossible that you'll ever encounter all the possible road signs while doing lessons, nor will your instructor tell you what all of them mean and what symbols on your dash indicate or what the legal tread requirement is etc - The theory test is the only solution.
Reply 17
Original post by The Stig
The theory test needs to be more extensive, if anything. I really can't see how it's pointless? It's impossible that you'll ever encounter all the possible road signs while doing lessons, nor will your instructor tell you what all of them mean and what symbols on your dash indicate or what the legal tread requirement is etc - The theory test is the only solution.

I agree a Theory test is needed but only the questions. The hazard perception as i've said a million times does nothing for your driving sitting infront of a screen with a mouse is nothing like being in a car.
Reply 18

To some extent I see your point about it being two different things and it being hard to concentrate on a screen. However, for something which could get you half way to a driving licence are you really telling me you can't concentrate for something like 10 or 20 minutes? Just take a deep breath, focus and get to the end of the test.
Do you have one of the computer cd/dvd versions to practice at home? Get one if not and take the HP tests over and over until you are passing every time. Then it should just be second nature when you take the test again.
Reply 19
Original post by Sazzle4
To some extent I see your point about it being two different things and it being hard to concentrate on a screen. However, for something which could get you half way to a driving licence are you really telling me you can't concentrate for something like 10 or 20 minutes? Just take a deep breath, focus and get to the end of the test.
Do you have one of the computer cd/dvd versions to practice at home? Get one if not and take the HP tests over and over until you are passing every time. Then it should just be second nature when you take the test again.

My concentration level are ridiculous to be honest. i know it sounds silly that i can't just keep concentrated for 15 or so minutes but i can't i just drift away and start thinking about things and working myself up knowing that if i fail it's delaying my test even more but next time i'm passing i assure you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending