The Student Room Group

Medicine - New Fees?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca-Sarah
There was a discussion on this in the Current Medics subforum a while back, and there seemed to be some disparity between those who have to intercalate, and those who choose to intercalate, since the 6 year courses are compulsory, whereas my iBSc will certainly not be. I think the tentative conclusion was that we should be ok for now, but that may change in the near future.

*Am worried for clinicals* !

Will it be considered the same degree as I'll be getting a BSc from my preclinical school?
Original post by No Future
*Am worried for clinicals* !

Will it be considered the same degree as I'll be getting a BSc from my preclinical school?

You're St Andy's, so yeh, I guess you're BSc counts as part of your original degree. Will be interesting to see how they interpret your transfer for clinicals...
You're St Andy's, so yeh, I guess you're BSc counts as part of your original degree. Will be interesting to see how they interpret your transfer for clinicals...

*please be same degree, please be same degree!*
Reply 23
Original post by thegodofgod
Yeah :sad: - have the BMA protested for increased pay for junior doctors? I'm guessing they'll be doing that some time soon if they haven't already :yy:

Oh to be young again. The BMA is a cripple of a union when it comes to junior doctors. I get emails from them every tuesday and each week it's the same stuff again and again "BMA fights to ensure the value of consultants clinical excellence awards is maintained" and "BMA fights changes to NHS pensions". They have very little interest in forcefully representing junior doctors, and even less for medical students. I suspect there is a fear that if they use their weight to secure better standards for juniors it will inadvertently reduce their ability to ensure the gravy-train deals consultants and GPs are on.

Fees will go up, the BMA will whine about it, maybe write a few letters, but it won't go any further.
Original post by Caponester
I wonder when all English medical schools will actually decide on their fees for next year. At least one of my choices will be English and I guess I'm hoping and praying that I'll be able to get by without some sort of monstrous career loan from HSBC or something to that effect.

Summer will truly be made for working! 100 hour weeks at £25 an hour and an absolutely horrendous amount of tax here I come :frown:

I thought that you are doing a pre-reg after your final year. Does that pay 25 pounds per hour or is that after pre-reg?
Original post by firestar101
I thought that you are doing a pre-reg after your final year. Does that pay 25 pounds per hour or is that after pre-reg?

I meant once qualified. Locum work in community pharmacy tends to pay £25/hr and above. Hence why I said 'summer will be for working'. My pre-reg post pays a pitiful £12 or so an hour.
Original post by Caponester
I meant once qualified. Locum work in community pharmacy tends to pay £25/hr and above. Hence why I said 'summer will be for working'. My pre-reg post pays a pitiful £12 or so an hour.

By my calculations, an unbanded FY1 is only on £8 an hour :colone:
By my calculations, an unbanded FY1 is only on £8 an hour :colone:

I'm pretty sure dental VT students get about £15 an hour for their effort. Medics get a raw deal in their junior deal, no doubt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending