The Student Room Group

UK to give £650m for new Pakistani schools while Britains BSF is being axed!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cameron the apologist: As PM offers Pakistan £650m to spend on education, he says Britain is responsible for 'many of the world's problems

That's who is allowing that to happen.

Something like this was argued on question time a couple of weeks back. The politicians were saying that we had a responsibility to help others, even those who don't need help.
Reply 2
I am sure we could find schools in dire need of extra funding in our own country.
Reply 3
I no, goddamn those people who never had a chance at life, why the hell should we help them? We need to keep this money to help out the losers in our own country that had a chance at life and wasted it.
Racism.

EDIT: Against Brits people! I mean racism against the British in favour of Pakistani education!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
We are a cosmopolitan nation gone mad... where has the integrity gone?!!!
Reply 6
It is a questionably large amount of money. That said, British children have an infinitely greater opportunity through the current educational system we have in this country than 99% of Pakistani children do. For me, it doesn't matter whether a child lives in Pakistan or Britain, their right to a sufficient education remains equal and, considering the relative poverty of the former country, I'm not particularly angry about this policy.

If you are one of the types that only cares about British citizens in this world, then development (especially educational development) in countries such as Pakistan is strongly in our interest anyway - hopefully it could help cease the growth of terrorism and help to form a prosperous future ally for Britain.
(edited 12 years ago)
I am doing a PGCE from September and my £6,000 bursary has been snatched away from me. For this?

What ****ers. I'll work for free so they can splash money at potential trading partners then, shall I? Urgh.
Reply 8
People seem to have missed the review into school building currently taking place on how they can build or refurbish schools in a quicker more efficeint way and the £15 billion they set aside for this over the next four years.

They also seem to have missed the fact that Labour themselves had scrapped around 2000 BSF projects.
..... it's ok, they will get the money back from student debts.
That's so stupid, surely we should sort out our own education problems first?
University fees is one thing that springs to mind.
Original post by broadwayrachael
Racism.

Yes because it's racist to prioritise our own national interests in a time of unprecedented budget cuts...

He's got good reasons for doing it, but anyone that thinks it's racist to oppose it is living in Cloud Cuckoo Land.
(edited 12 years ago)
That same £650m could be used to at least bring down the £9000 a year uni fees..:mad:
Reply 13
I'm asian ... pakistsani roots although i'm british and so are my parents ... And i'm against this stupid .. dumb idea ... Ridiculous ...
Reply 14
Original post by Aj12
I am sure we could find schools in dire need of extra funding in our own country.

So you seriously say that instead of offering people education who couldn't otherwise get any the British government should fund some extras for people who already have an incredibly good education? Well, I'm sorry for you in that case.
Absolutely ridiculous. Being totally honest could not give a flying f*ck about other countries, lets sort ours out first.
One of the reasons I support the Bnp would actually put Britain first and not give money to help schools in other countries instead spend it on Britain.
Reply 17
i am Asian, and this is just a slap in the face, why don't all the angry students in the UK make up our own party? £650m to a corrupt government whilst we have people in here who are struggling to live.

On the other hand, such issues such as terrorism in Muslim countries rise due to a lack of education so ultimately this will benefit the global community because a £650m educational improvements in Pakistan will mean, more employment and more jobs created== less angry people== less potential Taliban fans + all the youth will be educated to a high level standard, so after all the old ,mesogynistic, homphobic people in Pakistan die out, we will be left with a much more pro-democrazy/equal rights population in time. Which mean that we won't be forced to enter Pakistan on grounds of defeating another Islamist terrorist party.
Reply 18
Ohh god you guys actually believe this £650 mil is for the education of poor kids in pakistan?

It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that Cameron has just renewed his bribe for the dogs.
The children in Pakistan are obviously in a much worse state than those kids over here in the UK. At least there are schools in this country in most places, which are for the most part easily reached, which are funded, which have text books and other equipment.

They have much less of that over there, in some parts of Pakistan none of that.

Quick Reply