The Student Room Group

Suggestions for reading...

I'm planning to study history at university, and am just doing some general reading on the subject. I have lots of things to read for specific periods of interest to me, but was wondering if anyone could help and recommend some books on the general idea of history as a whole, what it is, how it can be interpreted etc. So, like histiography I guess... but also anything related to history which isn't related to specific period/event. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by whenjokersattack

You should read some of the OUP's 'very short introduction' series. If you can get basic grasp of things like Postcolonialism, Postmodernism and the 'new' movements in history (such as gender, race, children's), then you will be streets ahead once you get to University. If you want a top book just for looking at how historiography has developed, try either 'History of Histories' or Ernst Breisach's 'Historiography'. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Cochrane
Hope this helps :smile:

Yes, it does. A lot.
I have one or two "ism" OUPs anyway, but never thought about how they would relate to history- so thanks for making that connection! And for the recommendations.
I see you go to Exeter- planning to apply there myself :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by whenjokersattack
Yes, it does. A lot.
I have one or two "ism" OUPs anyway, but never thought about how they would relate to history- so thanks for making that connection! And for the recommendations.
I see you go to Exeter- planning to apply there myself :smile:

No problem, and see you there!
Reply 4
One other book you might try is "The Practice of History"-Elton. I must admit I have picked at it over the years and not really enjoyed it, however my wife, whose first degree is History and Politics, read it as part of her degree and insists it has merit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending