The Student Room Group

Newcastle or Leeds?

i have offers for both but i really can't decide which to firm! any input?

the courses seem faiiiirly similar (although any extra insight is appreciated?) and i think i'd be happy studying either. i feel like newcastle has a perhaps slightly better reputation for medicine, but to be honest it's all a bit arbitrary with medicine. i did think that the medical school was much nicer/newer at newcastle, but i haven't had the chance to do a proper tour like i have done of leeds. they both have really good nightlife and they're both cities which i like and would enjoy being at. the leeds accommodation seems to have a slight edge, maybe, but i've applied for marris house, windsor terrace and st mary's at newcastle, all of which seem really nice. i'm slightly put off leeds because EVERYONE and i mean eeeeeveryone i know is going there, and i'd really like to get away from the whole north london thing at least for uni! quite a few of my close friends are going too, and because the uni is so big and we're doing such different courses i think we'd grow apart, as opposed to going to two different unis and getting to visit each other lots.

in other words... help? anything at all would be helpful, thanks so much :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Heyy i'd say focus on which course you feel is better for you, I know Newcastle medics learn clinical skills much earlier than at Leeds.

The student experience in both cities is pretty similar so there's not much to compare there, but i'd say look at the courses and the universities themselves. I'd go for Newcastle but then again i'm biased :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Ayshizzle
Heyy i'd say focus on which course you feel is better for you, I know Newcastle medics learn clinical skills much earlier than at Leeds.

The student experience in both cities is pretty similar so there's not much to compare there, but i'd say look at the courses and the universities themselves. I'd go for Newcastle but then again i'm biased :biggrin:

thanks! haha it's so hard to choose because the student experience/vibe does seem very similar in both cities. how have you found your 3 years at newcastle? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by icygem
thanks! haha it's so hard to choose because the student experience/vibe does seem very similar in both cities. how have you found your 3 years at newcastle? :smile:

Lol i've had 3 years at Leeds, going to Newcastle in September for 5 years to do dentistry =)

I'm biased towards Newcastle as i've not enjoyed my course here in Leeds but i've loved the student experience here! I've got medic friends both here and in Newcs and they all say they love it, so you have got a difficult decision to make lol, but maybe choose which one you had a better feel for?
Reply 4
Original post by icygem

Original post by icygem

You're going to enjoy it either way.

I'm at Newc and I have friends in Leeds. Both are good. I know it doesn't help your indecision, but it's the truth :smile:
Reply 5
Lol i've had 3 years at Leeds, going to Newcastle in September for 5 years to do dentistry =)

I'm biased towards Newcastle as i've not enjoyed my course here in Leeds but i've loved the student experience here! I've got medic friends both here and in Newcs and they all say they love it, so you have got a difficult decision to make lol, but maybe choose which one you had a better feel for?

ohh, i see! lucky you, going to both :smile: and congratulations on getting the dentistry offer! what course did you do at leeds? haha you're right, it's a very hard choice but i guess whichever option i choose it'll all be fine! i thiiink in my heart of hearts i'm going with newcastle, but my brain will have to dither over that for several more weeks before committing haha. i may be seeing you next year though!

//my bad, i only just saw your sig! haha. why didn't you like the medical science course?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Tabris
You're going to enjoy it either way.

I'm at Newc and I have friends in Leeds. Both are good. I know it doesn't help your indecision, but it's the truth :smile:

what course are you doing at newcastle? :smile: haha thank you anyway, i think i need reassurance that it'll turn out alright either way!
Reply 7
Original post by icygem

Original post by icygem
what course are you doing at newcastle? :smile: haha thank you anyway, i think i need reassurance that it'll turn out alright either way!

I'm doing Biomed at the moment. Reapplied to do medicine this year for the third time (hopefully I'll actually get the grades this time).

Just give it time to mull over, you've got however long before you have to make your final decision on the UCAS form, so use as much of that time as possible to decide.

I'm going to be heading to Durham next year (grades permitting), so if you end up in Newcastle, I could catch you from third year onwards.
Reply 8
Original post by icygem
ohh, i see! lucky you, going to both :smile: and congratulations on getting the dentistry offer! what course did you do at leeds? haha you're right, it's a very hard choice but i guess whichever option i choose it'll all be fine! i thiiink in my heart of hearts i'm going with newcastle, but my brain will have to dither over that for several more weeks before committing haha. i may be seeing you next year though!

//my bad, i only just saw your sig! haha. why didn't you like the medical science course?

It's just rubbish basically, they've changed the modules so it's not the same course I started on, and they have researchers teaching that can't teach! I guess it got me to where I want to be though :smile:

Yeah you've got time yet, am sure you'll figure it out. If you decide on Newcastle which accomodation will you pick?
Reply 9
This is difficult decision for me too...basically where I want to apply for house jobs!
Reply 10
Original post by Tabris
I'm doing Biomed at the moment. Reapplied to do medicine this year for the third time (hopefully I'll actually get the grades this time).

Just give it time to mull over, you've got however long before you have to make your final decision on the UCAS form, so use as much of that time as possible to decide.

I'm going to be heading to Durham next year (grades permitting), so if you end up in Newcastle, I could catch you from third year onwards.

best of luck getting the grades :smile: and yeah, i'm going to take as much time as i need... until the 4th of may. i was talking to a friend's parents yesterday about my dilemma and they said 'well, that's obvious - go to leeds!' and i suddenly got very defensive of newcastle. the same hasn't happened when someone has suggested i go to newcastle so it looks like i might have figured out where i'm probably going haha! not a great method of deciding, perhaps, but they're both good so it's fine either way.
hopefully i'll be seeing you in the third year then!
Reply 11
Original post by digitalis
This is difficult decision for me too...basically where I want to apply for house jobs!

haha tough choice! where do you think you're leaning towards? are the newcastle and leeds trusts (not quite sure what the exact area you'd apply to would be) your top choices?
Reply 12
It's just rubbish basically, they've changed the modules so it's not the same course I started on, and they have researchers teaching that can't teach! I guess it got me to where I want to be though :smile:

Yeah you've got time yet, am sure you'll figure it out. If you decide on Newcastle which accomodation will you pick?

oh, that sounds awful. i'd be so annoyed if the modules got changed like that haha. but hey, roll on dentistry next year :smile:

i've actually already applied! i went for marris house, windsor terrace and st mary's (first choice, washbasin, self-catering) and then central link, windsor terrace and victoria hall (second choice, ensuite, self-catering). how about you?
I've got the same problem. Can't decide between these two. I am going for business course and somehow my heart leans towards Newcastle although I've never been there (I'm Lithuanian on a gap year right now and I'm spending my gap year in Leeds). I know that Newcastle is smaller city than Leeds so the main concern for me is part time job availability in both cities. Does anyone know anything about that? I mean is it hard to find a part time job in Newcastle for a student? Or at least is it harder/easier than in Leeds?
Original post by icygem
oh, that sounds awful. i'd be so annoyed if the modules got changed like that haha. but hey, roll on dentistry next year :smile:

i've actually already applied! i went for marris house, windsor terrace and st mary's (first choice, washbasin, self-catering) and then central link, windsor terrace and victoria hall (second choice, ensuite, self-catering). how about you?

I had Marris house and Windsor too! Then Castle Leazes as third choice =) (all washbasin) with Windsor ensuite as the other option thingy :smile: oooh so you might be in my halls! :biggrin:
Original post by black_alder
Does anyone know anything about that? I mean is it hard to find a part time job in Newcastle for a student? Or at least is it harder/easier than in Leeds?

I don't know about Newcastle but in Leeds it's awfully hard to find part- time work, as there are so many higher education institutions, there's loads of students wanting jobs!
Reply 16

Where did you pick as #1 in the end?

Im going to northern deanary and by the seaside - ive got that far.
Haven't picked anything, got ages to decide. Going to go on a mission in the summer and have a nose around the two, speak to a few of the docs, that sorta thing.
Reply 19
I had Marris house and Windsor too! Then Castle Leazes as third choice =) (all washbasin) with Windsor ensuite as the other option thingy :smile: oooh so you might be in my halls! :biggrin:

ooh yay! did you apply early? the accommodation opened on a friday i think and i applied by the monday (my offer hadn't yet gone through - i got the offer on the day accommodation opened haha) so hopefully i'll get my choice! and sounds like we might be in the same halls :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending