The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've backed into 2 cars with significant force since passing my test, too occupied on whats happening in my car and didn't think to look behind me when pulling out of a space....
Best tip.. Drive off as fast as you can.
I try and avoid driving anywhere unless I know there is a nice car park at the end! Anything with bay parking and not many spaces means I'll find alternate modes of transport :getmecoat:
Reply 22
Original post by mranon
I've backed into 2 cars with significant force since passing my test, too occupied on whats happening in my car and didn't think to look behind me when pulling out of a space....
Best tip.. Drive off as fast as you can.

well, that's nice of you isn't it? where are your manners??!
Reply 23
who hasnt, no one is a perfect driver.
Reply 24
On my first drive by myself after passing my test I nearly hit someone on a mini-roundabout..oops! Haven't really driven much since so once I do start driving again I bet I do lots of crazy things :rolleyes: Don't feel bad about it OP :smile: As everyone has said, everyone makes mistakes!
Reply 25
Original post by pumpkin7
well, that's nice of you isn't it? where are your manners??!

Right next to the thousands of pounds I have laying around to pay people for messing up their ****..
Have you tried the "the car in front didn't move so I hit it" technique at a roundabout or road junction yet? If not, look out for it, as most people try it at least once.

This is where you are the second car in a queue, you look to the right and see an enormous gap in the traffic and assume that the car in front will pull out. You carry on looking at the road to your right instead of at the car in front. The car in front dosn't pull out (for whatever reason), you do so you hit it.

The slightly better version is where you look forward just in time, see the car in front hasn't moved and slam your brakes on before hitting it.
I can't really contribute much to this but...I PASSED MY TEST AT LAST TODAY!!

ermmm anyway, I wouldn't worry about it, if that's your only mistake in months you're doing well!
Reply 28
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Yes, even I make mistakes :tongue:

Any driver who says they don't is either lying or is completely unaware of the carnage they have left behind... :wink:

:laugh: hahaha! you've made my day :')
Reply 29
It happens to everyone! The first few months after passing my test is the time I made the most mistakes, because I was a new driver. Been driving 2 and a half years now and have "road sense" behind me - much better at judging situations and just a more confident driver, but like everyone, still make mistakes! Just not as bad or as frequently :P It comes with time and experience! :smile:
Reply 30
Who hasn't?!
Reply 31
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I try and avoid driving anywhere unless I know there is a nice car park at the end! Anything with bay parking and not many spaces means I'll find alternate modes of transport :getmecoat:

:s
Original post by Cringe
:s

Don't feel sorry for me! I can bay park perfectly in my instructors car...just not in mine! And like all phobias I avoid it like the plague!
Reply 33
Don't feel sorry for me! I can bay park perfectly in my instructors car...just not in mine! And like all phobias I avoid it like the plague!

did i see you at maccys drive thru and you pressed the accelerator instead of the brake and went flying into the speaker screaming big mac ?loool
Original post by Cringe
did i see you at maccys drive thru and you pressed the accelerator instead of the brake and went flying into the speaker screaming big mac ?loool

No. I've never been to a maccys drive thru...nor am I incapable of actually driving, I just hate bay parking (I can do it, but if there are cars behind me I get all flustered and panic)
Reply 35
No. I've never been to a maccys drive thru...nor am I incapable of actually driving, I just hate bay parking (I can do it, but if there are cars behind me I get all flustered and panic)

fair do's. invest in a panic alarm.
Original post by Cringe
fair do's. invest in a panic alarm.

I have a rape alarm, it'll have to do.
Reply 37
I have a rape alarm, it'll have to do.

do you struggle with parallel parking as well?
Original post by Cringe
do you struggle with parallel parking as well?

Nope, I parallel park like a boss.
Reply 39
I have also made mistake too, Last weekend i was driving on dual carriageway- soon i overtake the lane i didnt see the car and the other driver move to other lane and swore at me.. Once i stop at the red light and the other driver next to me look pissed off because i didnt look when i overtake.. i opened the window and told the guy i am truly sorry that i almost cause an accident - i am a new driver so the guy immediately apologise for his bad language... Everyone make mistake and definitely learn from it..

Latest