The Student Room Group

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
ooooo they NEED to have Kreacher!!! That will just be a wonderful moment with all the elves and their knives and forks!!
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I can accept changes as long as they are in keeping with the book and do not contradict the book...also all changes should have no affected the plot line of later books!

Spoiler

I was gutted at the memories in Half-Blood, did not go into Snape enough at all :frown:

I liked the guy the cast for Teddy Lupin. He looks strange yet cute. Like a child of Tonks and Lupin!

The memories are my favourite part of Half Blood Prince. But I don't like Dillane, and the scenes are much better in the book. In HBP they just made an interesting character into an one-dimensional evil spawn of Satan git. Loads of people
go on how "omg so creepy" he is.. But that's not the point at all. He's not supposed to be super creepy.

I'm looking forward to more Neville and McGonagall screen time! McGonagall is badass.
(edited 13 years ago)
These spoilers are so tempting, I might have to stay away from this thread :tongue:

The guy they've cast to play Teddy looks like a mixture of how I imagine Lupin and Tonks to look from reading the books. :smile:
Original post by Piece
This is originally what I always dreamt of, but, i'm currently a film student and I knwo that by doing this would make it a worse film. Look at 1 & 2, they were the most faithful, yet they didn't quite pull it off. We have to remember that literature and film are 2 different medium and that they cannot copy each other, only represent. To place a book right on screen would not be a very fun or cinematic experience. But there's a secret part of me that just knows more could have been squeezed in. The fan side gets the better of my practical side! Plus some filmmakers have done some silly things.

My fan side says that there are enough people with fan sides to love an in depth representation of Harry Potter, no matter if it didn't seem to be moving forward much at times!

Original post by Luceria
I liked the guy the cast for Teddy Lupin. He looks strange yet cute. Like a child of Tonks and Lupin!

The memories are my favourite part of Half Blood Prince. But I don't like Dillane, and the scenes are much better in the book. In HBP they just made an interesting character into an one-dimensional evil spawn of Satan git. Loads of people
go on how "omg so creepy" he is.. But that's not the point at all. He's not supposed to be super creepy.

I'm looking forward to more Neville and McGonagall screen time! McGonagall is badass.

I can see him as child of the film Lupin and Tonks, but I always imagined Lupin with darker hair for some reason! Guess it's the werewolf thing!

Completely agree, Voldemort is supposed to be charming and persuasive, not a creep!

If they cut "Not my daughter you bitch" I will write an angry letter! Mrs Weasley kicks ass!
My fan side says that there are enough people with fan sides to love an in depth representation of Harry Potter, no matter if it didn't seem to be moving forward much at times!

I can see him as child of the film Lupin and Tonks, but I always imagined Lupin with darker hair for some reason! Guess it's the werewolf thing!

Completely agree, Voldemort is supposed to be charming and persuasive, not a creep!

If they cut "Not my daughter you bitch" I will write an angry letter! Mrs Weasley kicks ass!

I'm glad you agree. I mean, I almost laughed out loud at the Slughorn memory scene. The whole point is that Voldemort is supposed to look innocent, not like the biggest creep you've ever seen. In HBP he reminded me more of 13 year old spoilt brat. He wasn't handsome either (Merlin knows how many times Jo Rowling mentions how handsome he is).

I liked the 11 year old Riddle, but I didn't like the scene. Again, they made him an one dimensional evil little freak. In the book that scene is rather different. And I don't like how they changed the "I can hurt people who annoy me" line from book to "people who hurt me" in the film.

That's nitpicking, I know. But I find Voldemort highly interesting, and I think they messed up Tom Riddle's story. I know I should be glad they even included fractions of it, but I had so high hopes for years. So I was left very disappointed.
One of my few complaints about Half Blood Prince. Loved the film!

"Not my daughter, you bitch!" is in!:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1205
Original post by Luceria

This makes me very happy!
If they left this line out, I may have just hated the whole film!
Original post by Luceria
I'm glad you agree. I mean, I almost laughed out loud at the Slughorn memory scene. The whole point is that Voldemort is supposed to look innocent, not like the biggest creep you've ever seen. In HBP he reminded me more of 13 year old spoilt brat. He wasn't handsome either (Merlin knows how many times Jo Rowling mentions how handsome he is).

I liked the 11 year old Riddle, but I didn't like the scene. Again, they made him an one dimensional evil little freak. In the book that scene is rather different. And I don't like how they changed the "I can hurt people who annoy me" line from book to "people who hurt me" in the film.

That's nitpicking, I know. But I find Voldemort highly interesting, and think they messed up Tom Riddle's story. One of my few complaints about Half Blood Prince.

Exactly! He was almost as greasy haired as Snape! Speaking of which, Snape's hair in DH I wasn't nearly greasy enough!

I properly nitpick! You remember at the start of Prisoner of Azkaban in the film Harry is practising Lumos...how the **** would he be able to do that without a warning from the improper use of magic office?! Also in DH I, the whole ministry sequence, firstly Harry not removing Mad Eye's Eye, secondly the polyjuice potion wearing off...I mean SERIOUSLY?!

I also nitpick with the books...in the first book Hagrid says "There's not a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin", yet in the third book he knows that Sirius Black was 'bad' and from Gryffindor! (Oh dear...proving myself to be a proper Potter loser)
love how basically everything has to be put in a spoiler in this thread. I just want the last movie to sum it all up. To make me go. That, Right there, Was the right way to end an era.

I don't want it to end!! :frown:
Exactly! He was almost as greasy haired as Snape! Speaking of which, Snape's hair in DH I wasn't nearly greasy enough!

I properly nitpick! You remember at the start of Prisoner of Azkaban in the film Harry is practising Lumos...how the **** would he be able to do that without a warning from the improper use of magic office?! Also in DH I, the whole ministry sequence, firstly Harry not removing Mad Eye's Eye, secondly the polyjuice potion wearing off...I mean SERIOUSLY?!

I also nitpick with the books...in the first book Hagrid says "There's not a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin", yet in the third book he knows that Sirius Black was 'bad' and from Gryffindor! (Oh dear...proving myself to be a proper Potter loser)

It's so nice to find someone who agrees. I've just seen most go "OMG he was laike so creepy! So perfect!" And I'm :s-smilie:. Yes, people are entitled to their own opinion. But some of it makes no sense.

Yes, that's a bit strange. It was invented for the film. It is possible that students were authorized to learn it as a summer assignment or something like that. I don't know. And Mad Eye's eyes, yeah, it would have been nice if he had taken it. One change I did like was that the visited Godric's Hollow without using Polyjuice potion.

I hate how childishly Slytherin house is treated in Harry Potter. It's of course seen from Harry's point of view, but I feel Jo reinforces the stereotype a lot. Haha, it's fun nitpicking.. Getting it all out. Except the memories, my least
favourite part of Half Blood Prince is Harry/Ginny. The relationship has been handled so poorly in the films, and Bonnie Wright and Dan Radcliffe have no chemistry whatsoever. Just painfully awkward.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Luceria
It's so nice to find someone who agrees. I've just seen most go "OMG he was laike so creepy! So perfect!" And I'm :s-smilie:.

Yes, that's a bit strange. It was invented for the film. It is possible that students were authorized to learn it as a summer assignment or something like that. I don't know. And Mad Eye's eyes, yeah, it would have been nice if he had taken it. One change I did like was that the visited Godric's Hollow without using Polyjuice potion.

I hate how childishly Slytherin house is treated in Harry Potter. It's of course seen from Harry's point of view, but I feel Jo reinforces the stereotype a lot. Haha, it's fun nitpicking.. Getting it all out. Except the memories, my least
favourite part of Half Blood Prince is Harry/Ginny. The relationship has handled so poorly in the films, and Bonnie Wright and Dan Radcliffe have no chemistry whatsoever. Just painfully awkward.

Apparently the increased lack of polyjuice potion is due to wanting to see the main actors the most! Fair enough I guess! But also when they use the polyjuice potion in the books, their voices change, not so in the films :nope:

I completely agree, look at Snape and Regulus Black, two of best people ever and in Slytherin, okay there are some dicks, but Zacharius Smith is a complete dick and he's in Hufflepuff!

Re: Harry and Ginny, in the books I saw Ginny as this strong woman, a bit of a tease tbh, loadsa confidence (obvs here I'm talking about later books), and she most definitely knows her own mind and isn't afraid to speak it! Pretty much a young Mrs Weasley...whereas Ginny in the film is a wet lettuce. There is no other way to put it.
Apparently the increased lack of polyjuice potion is due to wanting to see the main actors the most! Fair enough I guess! But also when they use the polyjuice potion in the books, their voices change, not so in the films :nope:

I completely agree, look at Snape and Regulus Black, two of best people ever and in Slytherin, okay there are some dicks, but Zacharius Smith is a complete dick and he's in Hufflepuff!

Re: Harry and Ginny, in the books I saw Ginny as this strong woman, a bit of a tease tbh, loadsa confidence (obvs here I'm talking about later books), and she most definitely knows her own mind and isn't afraid to speak it! Pretty much a young Mrs Weasley...whereas Ginny in the film is a wet lettuce. There is no other way to put it.

I think it's rather silly they went back to Chamber of Secrets style Polyjuice potion. Then tried to excuse it with "weaker batch of Polyjuice potion"... I mean, c'mon! "Oh the audience is so stupid. Let them keep their real voices!"

Yes.. Slughorn, Andromeda etc.. Just because you're ambitious and cunning doesn't make you Draco Malfoy or Pansy Parkinson etc. Pettigrew was in Gryffindor.

Yes. I've never been a big Ginny fan, but the character in the film is very different from the book. I wasn't expecting her to be book Ginny. It's just that she does a rather rubbish job in HBP, and like I said, Dan and Bonnie have no chemistry whatsoever. Though I must also blame the script for some of it.

"Open up you, don't you trust me" *creepy smile* :s-smilie: Or the infamous improvised. .. .

"Shoelace"
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Luceria
I think it's rather silly they went back to Chamber of Secrets style Polyjuice potion. Then tried to excuse it with "weaker batch of Polyjuice potion"... I mean, c'mon! "Oh the audience is so stupid. Let them keep their real voices!"

Yes.. Slughorn, Andromeda etc.. Just because you're ambitious and cunning doesn't make you Draco Malfoy or Pansy Parkinson etc. Pettigrew was in Gryffindor.

Yes. I've never been a big Ginny fan, but the character in the film is very different from the book. I wasn't expecting her to be book Ginny. It's just that she does a rather rubbish job in HBP, and like I said, Dan and Bonnie have no chemistry whatsoever. Though I must also blame the script for some of it.

"Open up you, don't you trust me" *creepy smile* :s-smilie: Or the infamous improvised. .. .

"Shoelace"

Especially as it was Mad Eye's polyjuice potion stock...would have been very much properly brewed!

Speaking of Mad Eye, it annoyed me that everyone went straight to the Burrow...I wanted to meet Tonks' parents!

Indeed, I would say I'm ambitious and cunning, but I'm no Pansy Parkinson (I wish she'd had a bit more of a prominent role in the films as well)

Ha ha shoelace indeed...although Daniel Radcliffe as a mild sufferer from dyspraxia has once commented that he wishes velcro was cool as he struggles with tying shoelaces...
Original post by anoushka1
Ahhhhhhh so excited...........the last harry potter right after my last few months at school........the end of an era of childhood (sad sad times haha)

Me too.

Words cannot begin to describe the nostalgia that'll be evoked when I go to watch the final film...:cry2:
Especially as it was Mad Eye's polyjuice potion stock...would have been very much properly brewed!

Speaking of Mad Eye, it annoyed me that everyone went straight to the Burrow...I wanted to meet Tonks' parents!

Indeed, I would say I'm ambitious and cunning, but I'm no Pansy Parkinson (I wish she'd had a bit more of a prominent role in the films as well)

Ha ha shoelace indeed...although Daniel Radcliffe as a mild sufferer from dyspraxia has once commented that he wishes velcro was cool as he struggles with tying shoelaces...

Indeed. I think I'd end up in Slytherin or Ravenclaw. Though most likely Hufflepuff, haha.

Yeah, he said he had a very mild case of it. Or his spokeswoman said that anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Luceria
Indeed. I think I'd end up in Slytherin or Ravenclaw. Though most likely Hufflepuff, haha.

Yeah, he said he had a very mild case of it. Or his spokeswoman said that anyway.

I definitely wouldn't be in Gryffindor...brave at heart, erm NO! I turned into a screaming wreck yesterday because I thought a frog/spider/giant beetle had invaded the upstairs landing...it turned out to be a giant bee (just crawling on the ground) which was equally as terrifying... I had to get my mum to trap it!

I'm not work-orientated enough to be in Ravenclaw...I procrastinate WAYYYYY too much!

I'd hope to not be in Hufflepuff (load of old duffers :tongue:)

Therefore, I reckon Slytherin would be my house! Just as well I really suit green and silver!
I'd definitely be in Slytherin or Ravenclaw and I'm torn as to which I'd be to the extent that I now call myself a Slytherclaw whenever this comes up in conversation (yes, my friends and I are nerds).

They're the two coolest houses anyway IMO, so Slytherclaw for the winnnn.
Original post by KingMessi
Me too.

Words cannot begin to describe the nostalgia that'll be evoked when I go to watch the final film...:cry2:

I know!! I think I may actually cry but at least we are having a harry potter dress up day at out school on the last week of school ever haha.....hmm suggestions of who I should go as!?!?!:smile:
Holy.. New pictures of Freddie Stroma.

Original post by anoushka1
I know!! I think I may actually cry but at least we are having a harry potter dress up day at out school on the last week of school ever haha.....hmm suggestions of who I should go as!?!?!:smile:

Haha, that's absolutely brilliant. :woo:

Bellatrix?
Original post by Luceria
Holy.. New pictures of Freddie Stroma.

Guess now would be an appropriate time to mention that a large proportion of why I ended up at uni in Scotland was due to my love of kilts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending