The Student Room Group

full list of university fees

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by WelshBluebird
Why should it be the people who are least at fault for the problems, and least able to bear the burden though?

It's not like you'd be paying right out of your pocket, and if you could, lucky you. This would be repaid over many years to come, and only if you earn money to be able to do. Soooo, when you actually do pay for it, you become increasingly able to do so.

But I see your point. :tongue:
Original post by Pigeon93
"The ones who have to pay for it." Yes, but certainly not the only ones.

Still, if you look at it that way, these are the same people who are subsidising the large majority of the remaining costs, despite the $9000 fee.

The young always support the old. That's how pension systems work. Right now, it's just that, arguably, they need us more than ever. Exactly how much they need from us, however, i have no idea, hence why I'm still against the fee rise. I feel it makes too little difference to matter, especially at such great 'social unrest' (or maybe this is precisely why it matters, because if everybody said this...)

So past generations get a full NHS, not the watered down version we have/will have, a better education that they didn't directly pay for, a more generous welfare system than what we will be left with and we're supposed to support them?

I say a one way ticket to Switzerland is in order with a voucher for Dignitas thrown in. After all it's the cheaper option and we can't afford to keep them all. People live too long these days anyway. :wink:
Original post by mangoh

But I still think teaching should improve (left over money) could help increase the resources etc...

But not by much though.
The headline fee will be three times as much, yet the standards will be roughly the same.
Reply 44
Original post by arabcnesbit
So past generations get a full NHS, not the watered down version we have/will have, a better education that they didn't directly pay for, a more generous welfare system than what we will be left with and we're supposed to support them?

I say a one way ticket to Switzerland is in order with a voucher for Dignitas thrown in. After all it's the cheaper option and we can't afford to keep them all. People live too long these days anyway. :wink:

I know it sounds depressing. One of those "lesser of two evils" things. Ugh.

Perhaps you're right. But BA will be striking soon, again... Maybe it's one big conspiracy :eek:
Original post by mangoh
-rep it clearly does?

This is how: high quality teachers due to tuition fees (surely???). Many universities can now compete on a level and say we all have *high quality* teachers, come here? Another university could say *no, we have high teachers, come here* etc... So hopefully you understand it encourages competition :smile:

Doesn't even make sense. Total university funding hasn't increased therefore teaching standards havent changed. At most they have broken even with the fee raises due to the cuts. All universities say they have excellent teaching.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by WelshBluebird
They need to be approved by OFFA (office for fair access), which as long as the universities meet the criteria put down by OFFA (which we haven't heard much of yet, but it doesn't seem too much from what we have heard) then they will be allowed to charge the full £9k. The government can't stop universities charging the fee just because they don't want them to charge that.

Yea they can, they can burn and piss on the Browne report.
would have been really nice if you had posted the fees for international students as welll :frown: lol
Anyone got any ideas what Cardiff will be charging?
Reply 49
Original post by anonymous 428
would have been really nice if you had posted the fees for international students as welll :frown: lol

Why...?
Does anyone know how this will affect masters courses?
Reply 51
I find the idea of London Met potentially charging the same as Cambridge absolutely hilarious.
Reply 52
Original post by arabcnesbit
If universities are going to charge for fee's, they should charge what it actually costs. If I want to go on holiday to France and get charged the same as it would cost to travel to Australia because, "well, we cant have holidays to Australia going through the roof now can we", I would be a tad upset.

But at the same time a lot of science degrees are more necessary to society than arts degrees. For example it costs £250000 to take a single doctor through medical school. Without doctors the whole country would be screwed. If you tried to charge medical students the full cost of their course, which would be £50000 a year, do you seriously think we'd have enough doctors to keep the country on it's feet? No. Because nobody is going to be able to afford £250000 of debt. Apart from a tiny proportion of loaded people who can pay it straight out of their bank account, which would not be enough people. So in order for everybody to be able to survive, and for the entire health system to not crumble, some of the cost of a medical degree is spread out a bit over other degrees that cost much less. It works in everyones benefit in the long run.
Reply 53
Original post by emilymay
But at the same time a lot of science degrees are more necessary to society than arts degrees. For example it costs £250000 to take a single doctor through medical school. Without doctors the whole country would be screwed. If you tried to charge medical students the full cost of their course, which would be £50000 a year, do you seriously think we'd have enough doctors to keep the country on it's feet? No. Because nobody is going to be able to afford £250000 of debt. Apart from a tiny proportion of loaded people who can pay it straight out of their bank account, which would not be enough people. So in order for everybody to be able to survive, and for the entire health system to not crumble, some of the cost of a medical degree is spread out a bit over other degrees that cost much less. It works in everyones benefit in the long run.

Agreed that training doctors is a priority and too expensive to load into loans on the medical students back.

It'd make more sense to decide how many med places were required and subsidise them by a grant to the uni from general taxation rather than sneaking a bit extra onto the personal debt of the other students at the same institution.

are you sure that's not what happens?
Original post by emilymay

Considering that GP's and consultants will be approaching £250,000 a year in salary I don't see why they couldn't pay it off. Doctors are just a cog in a machine like the rest of us, I really don't see why you think they deserve special treatment?
Original post by Quady
Why...?

lol cuz i dont live in the UK
Reply 56
Let's be honest, most universities will try to charge 9k.
Original post by Rachel08
The naivety of the government astounds me. Politicians keep saying how shocked they are at the fees proposed by unis and that the whole policy is now unfeasable. What did they expect? If you massively cut funding and then say you can charge up to £9000, the unis are gonna charge £9000.

Tbf, they probably knew this was going to happen (they're not THAT naive), but weren't really that bothered about it.
Original post by jendra9311

Original post by jendra9311
*sighs*
i intended this thread to literally be a full list of univeristy tution fees
ah well

and my previous post may have been badly worded - of course my siblings still have the 'choice' to still go to university but they will be a lot worse of for it than i will

University of Portsmouth confirmed £8,500 yesterday
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I love how this system was supposed to encourage competition. Ha.

This. From those fees, I can only see it being an absolute disaster...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending