The Student Room Group

Applying to medicine during my first year of Pharmacy?

I didn't get into medicine this year so I'm thinking of doing Pharmacy. I was wondering whether universities accept applicants who are in their first year of Pharmacy and are wanted to start medicine? Would you say that applying during first year is a no no? Or is it just better if I take a gap year and then apply?
Use the search function. A short while back someone actually contacted every medical school in the UK asking them this and compiled a thread of the responses. Some will, some won't. You'd be better off taking a gap year and having a second shot at normal entry than wasting a year of loans and fees on a course you don't want to finish.
Original post by ChoccyLovaa
I didn't get into medicine this year so I'm thinking of doing Pharmacy. I was wondering whether universities accept applicants who are in their first year of Pharmacy and are wanted to start medicine? Would you say that applying during first year is a no no? Or is it just better if I take a gap year and then apply?

Most don't - they wouldn't accept if you left a degree - they would want you to complete it and then apply as a graduate.
Reply 3
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Use the search function. A short while back someone actually contacted every medical school in the UK asking them this and compiled a thread of the responses. Some will, some won't. You'd be better off taking a gap year and having a second shot at normal entry than wasting a year of loans and fees on a course you don't want to finish.

in the long run medicine is a good investment
Reply 4
complete ur degree and re-apply
It shows u aren't committed and dedicated in the decisions u make if u quit pharmacy .. Its wat med will think
Reply 5
If you really want to do medicine, the best thing to do is use the upcoming months to strengthen your application and try again. There's nothing to be gained by starting Pharmacy then applying except for a little more debt.
I would just re-apply in the first year. It is what I plan to do. Medical schools have no way of finding out if you were already enrolled on another course, as it is strictly confidential information between you and ucas.

And, if you get accepted in the first year of pharmacy, then consider going into medicine. If not, then continue with pharmacy. At least this way, you do not waste a year and time.
Reply 8
Original post by firestar101
I would just re-apply in the first year. It is what I plan to do. Medical schools have no way of finding out if you were already enrolled on another course, as it is strictly confidential information between you and ucas.

And, if you get accepted in the first year of pharmacy, then consider going into medicine. If not, then continue with pharmacy. At least this way, you do not waste a year and time.

You have to write on your new ucas form that you are currently (at the time of application) studying at another university.
Have you considered getting the pharmacy degree, then going into medicine? I have a friend who did that. You're more likely to get accepted into med school if you have a related degree already :smile:
Original post by frznjellybeans
Have you considered getting the pharmacy degree, then going into medicine? I have a friend who did that. You're more likely to get accepted into med school if you have a related degree already :smile:

Grad entry to medicine is actually more competitive than undergrad entry.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Grad entry to medicine is actually more competitive than undergrad entry.

Ah, sorry, just going by what I've heard. My friend got a 1.1 degree, so it was pretty easy for her I guess..
Reply 13
The class of degree doesn't matter as long as you get a 2:1 - it's just a minimum requirement. Whether or not you get a place is dependent upon other factors.
Original post by firestar101

Nah it is a lie and they will find out when you register at uni. This because people who are responsible for student loan will defo know!
Original post by ngan_ta2001

Original post by ngan_ta2001
Nah it is a lie and they will find out when you register at uni. This because people who are responsible for student loan will defo know!

Yes the same answer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending