The Student Room Group

Current A-level chemistry students!

I'm thinking of getting this book for next year but I from the sample I have no idea whether it is clear and simple or not at all because I haven't even finished GCSE chemistry yet :tongue:. So if you would be kind enough to look at the sample here and tell me whether you think it is good or bad. Thanks for your time.
Reply 1
Looks all right :L I'd just get the textbook tbh
Reply 2
Original post by tateco
Looks all right :L I'd just get the textbook tbh

How good is all right? Better or worse than the one you use in class now? And I don't want to buy this textbook and then find out that it's rubbish. :tongue:

Thanks for your time. :smile:
What exam board are you going to be on next year?
Looks okay. Don't get the AQA/Kerboodle AS or A2 textbooks. My class have found so many mistakes in them.
Reply 5
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
What exam board are you going to be on next year?

Either AQA or the Pre-U which is why I'm asking this question because this is the only book designed specifically for the Pre-U.

Original post by Lady_Fantabulous
Looks okay. Don't get the AQA/Kerboodle AS or A2 textbooks. My class have found so many mistakes in them.

Thanks, will remember! :biggrin:
Original post by ElMoro
Either AQA or the Pre-U which is why I'm asking this question because this is the only book designed specifically for the Pre-U.

Then maybe you should wait until next year before buying? :smile: The Nelson Thornes textbook for AQA (our school lends us it for the year, not sure what yours does) is pretty much perfect, tbh.
Reply 7
oh my god what syllabus is that, it goes into a trillion times more depth than ours does :|

Really? We've never noticed any mistakes... the Nelson Thornes one?

Then maybe you should wait until next year before buying? :smile: The Nelson Thornes textbook for AQA (our school lends us it for the year, not sure what yours does) is pretty much perfect, tbh.

That's the one I was talking about, I mean they're not major ones just small ones but there are quite a few of them :s Other than that it's okay though, since it's specifically for the course
That's the one I was talking about, I mean they're not major ones just small ones but there are quite a few of them :s Other than that it's okay though, since it's specifically for the course

I'm just vaguely worried I've learned something wrong. :p: What kind of mistakes?

I actually love the NT book, it explains things really well. :heart:
Reply 11
hey ..
say u had a list of reactions, and there E values
how would you work out which reaction is better at say giving a higher concentration of Fe2+ ions...
I'm just vaguely worried I've learned something wrong. :p: What kind of mistakes?

I actually love the NT book, it explains things really well. :heart:

Don't worry, it's nothing major.:tongue: Just some diagrams are wrong (I thing mainly in the AS one) and some equations, such as in the A2 one it says cisplatin has NH2 bonded to it, when actually it's NH3, and on p208 the first equation has Zn and Zn2+ on the wrong side. Apart from small stuff like that, it's pretty good, with questions on most pages and exam questions after every chapter:smile:
Don't worry, it's nothing major.:tongue: Just some diagrams are wrong (I thing mainly in the AS one) and some equations, such as in the A2 one it says cisplatin has NH2 bonded to it, when actually it's NH3, and on p208 the first equation has Zn and Zn2+ on the wrong side. Apart from small stuff like that, it's pretty good, with questions on most pages and exam questions after every chapter:smile:

That's silly. :s-smilie: But I guess checking and rechecking the textbook would take waaay too long... I can't believe it's written by only two people! :eek: I remember the revision guide and my teacher gave us different info on the electronic configuration on Cu and Chromium and we were like waaaaat? :frown: I hate it when you hear two different things and have no way of telling which is right.
Reply 14
Original post by ben10
hey ..
say u had a list of reactions, and there E values
how would you work out which reaction is better at say giving a higher concentration of Fe2+ ions...

PM me a well constructed question that you need assistance with and I'll do my best to help you
Reply 15
Original post by tateco
PM me a well constructed question that you need assistance with and I'll do my best to help you

ive Pm'd u
Reply 16

I'm not going to buy it now! :tongue:
But I've been accepted by my schools sixth form which will offer us a choice and since this is the only textbook which covers all of the topics in the Pre-U the quality of it will influence my decision quite a bit. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending