The Student Room Group

Groups/ binary ops

Hi guys,

Im having some trouble with a practice question, i was wondering if anyone could help me out.
here it is:
Let T = {0,1,2}
i) How many binary operations * can you define on T?

I dont even know where to start
Thanks in advance
What do you think the question is asking? what do you know about binary operations?
Reply 2
Your advice is ringing bells but i dont really know where there going

Sorry if im being silly,
Thanks for the reply
Original post by tsmith16
Your advice is ringing bells but i dont really know where there going

Sorry if im being silly,
Thanks for the reply

Consider all the possibilties basically is what he is saying!
Reply 4
This isn't necessarily the best thing to do if {0,1,2} is a group under * (which I assume is the case given the thread title) and not just a set with a binary operation.

My advice would be: you have a choice over which element is the identity; do you have a choice over what the other two elements can do?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by nuodai
This isn't necessarily the best thing to do if {0,1,2} is a group under * (which I assume is the case given the thread title).You know what they say about assumptions.

(The question has been posted before over the last few days - it's definitely "how many binary operations" as the 2nd part is "how many groups").
Reply 6
Original post by DFranklin
You know what they say about assumptions.

Alas, indeed.
Reply 7
Original post by nuodai
Alas, indeed.
To be clear, it wasn't unreasonable, but given I'd seen the previous thread I was pretty sure it wasn't the right path here.
Reply 8
hmmm, its making abit more sense, sorry its been a while since i've seen binary ops, can you give me one example to kick start me?
thanks again, i know how frustrating this can be
Reply 9
Do you guys want me to post part (ii) of the question?
Reply 10
Original post by nuodai
This isn't necessarily the best thing to do if {0,1,2} is a group under * (which I assume is the case given the thread title) and not just a set with a binary operation.

My advice would be: you have a choice over which element is the identity; do you have a choice over what the other two elements can do?

Hi, are there 18 binary ops that can be defined on T? I've done a little more research and i've come up with:

(0*1,0*2,1*0,1*2,2*0,2*1), all of which have three options, giving 18 bin ops.

ps, can i have a a pair (0*0) or (1*1) or (2*2)?
EDIT: ive assumed, (i think correctly) that i can use (1*1) and (2*2), but im not sure if i can use (0*0) because you cant do get any other number other than 0 given any binary operation with the pair (0*0).

Thanks
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
hey :smile:,
i think youve got the main point of my question, is there 3^(3^2) arbitrary binary ops on any set of 3 elements, giving 19,683 bin ops on T?
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest