The Student Room Group

Love doesn't exist

Scroll to see replies

Nah, I disagree. Love in nothing more than a strong personal attachment to a person, and that can certainly exist. There is no mystical force, there is no such thing as destiny (because let's face it, out of 3 billion potential partners in the world, your soulmate probably doesn't live in the same city as you), and people don't fall in love at first sight (that's known as lust), but to deny the existence of an emotion most people will probably claim to feel at some point in their lives is just stupid.
Reply 81
:borat:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
There's love-based crazy, highly dangerous/criminal-based crazy and psychotic crazy. The three may all be present in some but they're not the same as each other. I should know, since I fit into two of the three categories :biggrin:

This isn't a laughing matter Goatherd. I for one am sick of people telling me that your life is incomplete without love.

Who EVER said that love is necessary for life?

And by love I mean the bloody romantic love.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by im so academic
This isn't a laughing matter Goatherd. I for one am sick of people telling me that your life is incomplete without love.

**** you.

Woah, calm down. I wasn't having a go at you! No need for swearing :nah:

Where did I say it's necessary for life exactly? :dontknow:

**** you.

Do you have to be so bloody miserable and bitter?

Maybe love doesn't exist in a magical way, but as a feeling that people have, it exists. Perhaps you've never felt strongly for a person which is why you feel like this, but if you're not prepared to accept that it might actually happen at some point in your life, then I genuinely feel sorry for you. Because trust me, you don't know what you're missing, you might think you do, but you can't unless you've felt it.
Woah, calm down. I wasn't having a go at you! No need for swearing :nah:

Where did I say it's necessary for life exactly? :dontknow:

Just to let you know, I was not, in any way, swearing at you. Rather just an expression of dissatisfaction.

You didn't say it was necessary, but, the amount of people on this site and in real life who hold that view is shocking.
Reply 86
I'd disagree with you :p:

I know that what I have with my boyfriend is love and that any selfless act is just that; I'm not doing it for me, I'm doing it for him 100%. This is not a kind of love I've had before. I can honestly say I'd do anything to make him happy, even if what made him happy was never seeing me again (although I hope it never comes to that! :p:) I would go out of my way for him and it's always worth it because he's happy. It's just how it is with him. I can't really explain it but you'll know once you experience it (and you will! :biggrin:)
Just to let you know, I was not, in any way, swearing at you. Rather just an expression of dissatisfaction.

You didn't say it was necessary, but, the amount of people on this site and in real life who hold that view is shocking.

Ah OK. I thought it was all aimed at me since you quoted me :getmecoat:

Ah OK. I thought it was all aimed at me since you quoted me :getmecoat:

Definitely not, I'm not the type to make pathetic insults at any person.

More like an insult to what is the establishment tbh.

Apologies for any misunderstanding.
Definitely not, I'm not the type to make pathetic insults at any person.

More like an insult to what is the establishment tbh.

Apologies for any misunderstanding.

No worries. Being ill and paranoid, I get twitchy about such things and jump to conclusions :getmecoat:
Reply 90
watch this

documentary on 'emotions'. the baby monkey experiment (around 20mins in) is particularly interesting... espcially given what a few people have said here.
I do believe someone can be totally selfless for another person. But i don't believe there is this sort of separate force that makes people "fall in love" or that two people are destined to be together... that's just what we want to believe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending