The Student Room Group

White people rule the world!

As the title suggests... By white people i mean rich Western countries.
Examples include USA, Canada & Australia. None of these countries are native to Europeans but they're now inhabited almost exclusively by them. Native populations were decimated and/or marginalised especially in the case of Australia.
Look at all the conflicts going on in the world right now. Europeans are either to blame for them or are profting from them sometimes both.
Why is is that Europeans developed before everyone else and did so at such a rapid rate?

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Silver Arrow

Why is is that Europeans developed before everyone else ?

Read some history books, my friend.

There have been many great civilizations in the past. The West may dominate presently, but it hasn't always been this way. Civilizations rise and fall over time.

esp episode 1:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/civilization-is-the-west-history/4od
(edited 13 years ago)
Did Europeans really develop before everyone else? Why were the natives of the British Isles still a simple nomadic people who hadn't mastered farming at the same time that the Egyptians were building pyramids?
Original post by Addzter
Did Europeans really develop before everyone else? Why were the natives of the British Isles still a simple nomadic people who hadn't mastered farming at the same time that the Egyptians were building pyramids?

Absolutely. We were people living in hovels and ****heaps (quite literally, it seems), whilst the likes of continental Europe and a handful of other nations were insurmountably more developed in literature, the arts and society-- even politics.
You are probably right.

If you want to look at the reason you will have to read through years of colonialism, murder and general meanness. Well, nobody ever got what they wanted by being nice, eh?

Who knows what the world will look like in 100 years though. We better keep our eye on Brazil India and China :ninja:

Also

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by philistine
Absolutely. We were people living in hovels and ****heaps (quite literally, it seems), whilst the likes of continental Europe and a handful of other nations were insurmountably more developed in literature, the arts and society-- even politics.

e.g. China, Iran to name a couple.

(but then some people say Iranians are Caucasian so...idk)

An ancient Chinese encyclopaedia was only recently surpassed by Wikipedia.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by No Future
Read some history books, my friend.

There have been many great civilizations in the past. The West may dominate presently, but it hasn't always been this way. Civilizations rise and fall over time.

For those who don't like reading, esp episode 1:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/civilization-is-the-west-history/4od

I have my friend, Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond and there's a title by Ian Morris; Why the West Rules For Now, which i plan on acquiring soon.

Yes there have been great civilisations in the past. China should rule the world by now but they don't. The West right now is i think the most dominant EVER!! I mean there's nukes, the Internet and just loads of other seriously advanced stuff which permits then to literally rule the whole world. Past civilisations may have been powerful but their power never extended that far. E.g The British Empire which is/was arguably the farthest reaching and most powerful..
Reply 7
As the title suggests... By white people i mean rich Western countries.
Examples include USA, Canada & Australia. None of these countries are native to Europeans but they're now inhabited almost exclusively by them. Native populations were decimated and/or marginalised especially in the case of Australia.
Look at all the conflicts going on in the world right now. Europeans are either to blame for them or are profting from them sometimes both.
Why is is that Europeans developed before everyone else and did so at such a rapid rate?

Discuss.

Well there you have it, Europeans haven't "developed" (certainly not biologically) before anyone else, it's simply that at this current juncture in history Western Europe and North America happen to be the dominant force in the world because we control the most amount of capital. Give it another few decades and perhaps we'll be superseded by China and India.

This is historically not a new concept, since empires have risen and fell for millenia, it's simply "our" turn now to flourish. 2000 years ago these selfsame "progressive" Europeans were simply an outpost of the Roman Empire....mere colonies.

Even Europe's rise is relatively recent and short lived when you compare the past 500 years to thousands of years of domination by the Egyptians, Persians and Chinese, Europe pales into insignificance.
Reply 8
Original post by Democracy
Well there you have it, Europeans haven't "developed" (certainly not biologically) before anyone else, it's simply that at this current juncture in history Western Europe and North America happen to be the dominant force in the world because we control the most amount of capital. Give it another few decades and perhaps we'll be superseded by China and India.

This is historically not a new concept, since empires have risen and fell for millenia, it's simply "our" turn now to flourish. 2000 years ago these selfsame "progressive" Europeans were simply an outpost of the Roman Empire....mere colonies.

Even Europe's rise is relatively recent and short lived when you compare the past 500 years to thousands of years of domination by the Egyptians, Persians and Chinese, Europe pales into insignificance.

Bold part emphasizes the point.
Reply 9
I have my friend, Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond and there's a title by Ian Morris; Why the West Rules For Now, which i plan on acquiring soon.

Yes there have been great civilisations in the past. China should rule the world by now but they don't. The West right now is i think the most dominant EVER!! I mean there's nukes, the Internet and just loads of other seriously advanced stuff which permits then to literally rule the whole world. Past civilisations may have been powerful but their power never extended that far. E.g The British Empire which is/was arguably the farthest reaching and most powerful..

The West does not rule China, nor the whole world.

British Empire is a definite was. We couldn't afford to run it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10

The China has nukes and the Internet, as do most East Asian countries, hell they're even more developed then European countries in some ways.

And Japan has MUCH more advanced technology then Europe (and even the USA in some cases), and they make most of the electronic stuff you own (as well as the Koreans)

The world would be screwed if China and Japan disappeared off the face of the Earth, and China is expected to be the most powerful country soon.
Reply 11
Original post by No Man

Original post by No Man
The China has nukes and the Internet, as do most East Asian countries, hell they're even more developed then European countries in some ways.

And Japan has MUCH more advanced technology then Europe (and even the USA in some cases), and they make most of the electronic stuff you own (as well as the Koreans)

The world would be screwed if China and Japan disappeared off the face of the Earth, and China is expected to be the most powerful country soon.

China's power is dependent on a largely subservient mass of individuals united under one banner. As China is forced to accept the inevitability of globalisation and as more ideals from the comparatively 'decadent' West seap through, they will lose the ability to effectively command and control their one resource, the masses.

And Japanese technology being superior to the rest of the worlds tends to be a bit of a myth. Sure, Japan has integrated technology into their everyday lives in an arguably more efficient manner, but compare their research into weapons tech with that of the USA and China, compare their research into fields that typically connote national strength, and you will see that it is China, and the Allied nations of the West respectively who command that title.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Ocassus
China's power is dependent on a largely subservient mass of individuals united under one banner. As China is forced to accept the inevitability of globalisation and as more ideals from the comparatively 'decadent' West seap through, they will lose the ability to effectively command and control their one resource, the masses.

And Japanese technology being superior to the rest of the worlds tends to be a bit of a myth. Sure, Japan has integrated technology into their everyday lives in an arguably more efficient manner, but compare their research into weapons tech with that of the USA and China, compare their research into fields that typically connote national strength, and you will see that it is China, and the Allied nations of the West respectively who command that title.

Yes I know China/USA have better weapons than Japan.

My point is white people don't rule the world like the OP believes, because east Asians have just as much power on the whole.

Hell, the worlds most powerful man is mixed race at the moment, which disproves OP's point more.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by No Man

Original post by No Man
Yes I know China/USA have better weapons then Japan.

My point is white people don't rule the world like the OP believes, because East Asia have just as much power.

And the worlds most powerful man is mixed race at the moment, which disproves his point more.

Of course it does, but I believe the OPs initial and subsequent posts are already enough evidence to disprove his point alone, not requiring reiteration.
White people do not dominate, Western thinking does.
Original post by Ocassus
Western thinking does.

O RLY?
Reply 15
White people do rule the world, as do black people.

There is an assumption here that is easily and foolishly made; that the white race rules the world.

You rule nothing troll.
Reply 16

O RLY?

Yes really, Post-Enlightenment thinking is expressed in the form of globalisation and broad liberalization of the world, with senior committees that are supposed to represent the international community as a whole [UN] acting as Democratic and liberal bodies.
Reply 17
Europeans or the Western world have not been the first civilization to succeed in some ways or others. you just happen to live at the time when Europeans are the superpowers. there were times when they were nothing. each nation or continent had/will have a time when they will be the superpowers.
Reply 18
China is the future.
Reply 19
Although the East Asians are next in line to rule the world, which is lucky for us because we haven't yet pissed off the East Asians, just kept it neutral. The day Africa or the Middle East comes to the power is the day the tables are turned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending