The Student Room Group

Your first day as a doctor

Scroll to see replies

Original post by No Future
So fracture to neck of femur (??) + what would you call the pelvic fracture? I'm not familiar with pelvic fractures. Hell, it looks kinda wonky (??), but I don't know how you would describe it.

Personally i would call that xray " a mess "
Reply 161
Original post by SkinFadeHaircut
Lol casualty ftw, but it's crap now. Is it even still on tv?

I think they pulled the plug.
Original post by electricjon

Those of you that gave frankly stupid answers, or asked for more information, or suggested random interventions, made up pathologies, or worried about confidentiality issues, have a long way to go as doctors. Medicine is about recognising what you know and what you don’t know, and if you don’t know, DO NOT GUESS. GET HELP INSTEAD. And if you can’t do that, stay away from me and my patients before you end up killing someone.

my answer was best brah. better than drama queening like you at least.
Let the **** die.
Reply 164
Original post by FailWhale
my answer was best brah. better than drama queening like you at least.

You're right I was a bit melodramatic in my first summary. Maybe it was because it was 5am, I was sleep deprived, in lots of pain and recovering from my operation. Let me just remind myself what you said...

cut him open and start clamping **** like in the movies, and pack him with some celox

not a chick brah. but seriously 30% are having sex on the reg and 1/11 claim once a day (lol at cambridge claiming this with some of the nastiest broads around... smarts are inversely proportionate to attractiveness). how is that even impressive? get a gf and have sex as often as you want, its not that hard.

pointless given how ugly manchester chicks are.

On second thoughts, call me what you like. I'd rather be a drama queen or a "brah", whatever the hell that means anyway, that an ignorant bigoted moron.
Reply 165
Original post by cttp_ngaf
Let the **** die.

We did.
Reply 166
Original post by Ventura7
did you write this as it was happening? and needed advice? :P just told the guy to hang on a moment while you go advice from people on here

Ha ha no this is all reflection on previous patients of mine. The RTA was on Sunday, the overdose was a few months back. Next time I have a difficult patient though I'm gonna say "excuse me whilst I just consult the student forum."

On second thoughts, call me what you like. I'd rather be a drama queen or a "brah", whatever the hell that means anyway, that an ignorant bigoted moron.

We did.

Out of rep.

Sir Pemberton points out that a patient who voluntarily attends A&E seeking help for a potentially fatal overdose, who is then willing to let his phobia of needles override his alleged desire to live, is contradicting himself, and therefore cannot have capacity.

So you assemble a team of security guards and burly nurses to restrain the patient, ignoring his threats suing you for assault. Just as you are about to pin him down, the senior charge nurse hears panicked screams and decides to leave the break room to see what the commotion is all about.

So ... I was kinda right.

I know you have to very careful when it comes to cases of patient autonomy as a Doctor, but in a situation like that, surely the overriding concern has to be the patients wellbeing. Time is critical and I wouldn't think that 9/10 cases end up with a nice nurse managing to talk the patient down.
Reply 169
Original post by No Future
Hmm, so does this mean patient C in Broadmoor did not voluntarily seek medical help?

Or does it rest more on the self contradiction of patient 2 (lawyer)?

It's mostly to do with the ability to weigh up the appropriate information and make an informed decision. The second patient couldn't really do that, as he was letting his irrational fear cloud his judgement.
Reply 170
Original post by TwilightKnight
So ... I was kinda right.

I know you have to very careful when it comes to cases of patient autonomy as a Doctor, but in a situation like that, surely the overriding concern has to be the patients wellbeing. Time is critical and I wouldn't think that 9/10 cases end up with a nice nurse managing to talk the patient down.

You're absolutely right. We were about to pin him down kicking and screaming. I was just lucky a hero of diplomacy was on shift with me. A&E charge nurses have seen it all and are arguably more powerful and influential that most consultants. If you want something doing and you've run out of options, the charge nurse will always save the day.
Reply 171
Pat his head and tell him not to worry, everything's going to be okay :smile:
It's mostly to do with the ability to weigh up the appropriate information and make an informed decision. The second patient couldn't really do that, as he was letting his irrational fear cloud his judgement.

But who's to say the first patient's judgement wasn't clouded by irrational fear?

And if the second patient seems to understand (as in the list of criteria you mentioned), who are we to judge whether their decision is rational or irrational?

What if they seem to understand but then make an "irrational" decision?

Why is the first patient's decision not considered to be "irrational"?

(Not being awkward, am really just trying to understand this. Am I just missing the point?)
Reply 173
The first patient's case was settled in court. The judge ruled:
"Although his general capacity is impaired by schizophrenia, it has not been established that he does not sufficiently understand the nature, purpose and effects of the treatment he refuses. Indeed, I am satisfied that he has understood and retained the relevant treatment information, that in his own way he believes it, and that in the same fashion he has arrived at a clear choice."

The second case was a risk that we had to take because we'd didn't have time to go to court. Such is medicine that you are forever taking risks, but your job is to try and minimise those risks.
The first patient's case was settled in court. The judge ruled:
"Although his general capacity is impaired by schizophrenia, it has not been established that he does not sufficiently understand the nature, purpose and effects of the treatment he refuses. Indeed, I am satisfied that he has understood and retained the relevant treatment information, that in his own way he believes it, and that in the same fashion he has arrived at a clear choice."

The second case was a risk that we had to take because we'd didn't have time to go to court. Such is medicine that you are forever taking risks, but your job is to try and minimise those risks.

Thanks for that.
Ha ha no this is all reflection on previous patients of mine. The RTA was on Sunday, the overdose was a few months back. Next time I have a difficult patient though I'm gonna say "excuse me whilst I just consult the student forum."

haha sounds good
Any more cool cases? :colondollar:
I'd mount him.
MRI scan?
Reply 179
Original post by Dekota-XS
MRI scan?

At 5am? Not gonna happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending