The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Are Leeds Uni's worth 9 grand ?

I just wondered what you thought? Are Leeds Uni's worth £9000 ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12880840

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12879817
They are just following what their peers are charging.

If the University of Surrey and University of Sussex for instance are charging £9000 it is difficult for Leeds to justify going lower.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
As it costs around £8000 p/year for a university to teach a student, almost everywhere will be charging £9000 to keep their standard of education high.

I wouldn't pay £8500 for a Leeds Met degree though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
^^ neither would I demand is so high they can get away with it. If we're going to have a market in education i think we should remove the cap Leeds could easily charge 15 that way people would 'shop around' but we can't do that because the cap is too low.

Some of these 'met' unis are really good at getting placements and getting their students into jobs far better than some established unis.

I think it's quite strange that I'm going to pay 4300 a year for a MA when somebody doing a BA in the same department is paying (eventually) 9000 bit strange.
Original post by Ezekiel

I think it's quite strange that I'm going to pay 4300 a year for a MA when somebody doing a BA in the same department is paying (eventually) 9000 bit strange.

Maybe its because the government is paying the £9000 up front for the undergrads, they aren't paying for the MAs.

Some universities will see this as a signal to start pushing MAs up to £9000 as well however they may find it a hard sell to get undergrads who have already taken on substantial debt, to be able to find the money for £9000 fees plus living costs for a Masters as well...
Reply 5
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Maybe its because the government is paying the £9000 up front for the undergrads, they aren't paying for the MAs.

Some universities will see this as a signal to start pushing MAs up to £9000 as well however they may find it a hard sell to get undergrads who have already taken on substantial debt, to be able to find the money for £9000 fees plus living costs for a Masters as well...

Yeah i suppose you're right or perhaps students will skip straight from college to doing a MA it isn't that unusual in the States/ Europe to have a MA with no BA. Also I remember the last labour government (lord mandleson) was trying to push 2 year / 1 year degrees which could cut costs.

I'm doing my MA at leeds this September and to be honest I'm not entirely sure why it's so well regarded traditionally it's been considered a top uni but on rankings it does quite badly. I did my BA at Loughborough which is miles ahead in both the times and guardian and it's miles ahead and yet they are both charging 9 grand . I think the new system will totally confuse employers and students
Original post by Ezekiel

I'm doing my MA at leeds this September and to be honest I'm not entirely sure why it's so well regarded traditionally it's been considered a top uni but on rankings it does quite badly. I did my BA at Loughborough which is miles ahead in both the times and guardian and it's miles ahead and yet they are both charging 9 grand . I think the new system will totally confuse employers and students

The thing that confuses everyone is the newspaper rankings they seem very arbitrary.
I bet if you went round a load of employers and said do you consider Loughborough to be miles ahead of Leeds, they would all say no.
Reply 7
Original post by MagicNMedicine
The thing that confuses everyone is the newspaper rankings they seem very arbitrary.
I bet if you went round a load of employers and said do you consider Loughborough to be miles ahead of Leeds, they would all say no.

Not to sure that' s true it's not the experience I've had; so far for some strange reason people think it's a fantastic uni when tbh it isn't. I think the entire university system degree classifications prices and league tables all need to be overhauled. Perhaps we'd get a better reflection of price if universities had no cap that way the really good ones could charge 20 and people would only pay it if they thought it was worth that. Although people would prob have a fit lol

Quick Reply