The Student Room Group

Another Police Officer Killed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bestofyou
The C.IRA have claimed responsiblity for the death of PSNI Constable Ronan Kerr.

The car bomb went off around 4pm on Saturday. The bomb was planted in his car outside his home in Omagh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12948992

Paper Sun by Def Leppard was inspired by the Omagh Bomb 1998 by a joint dissidents effort (C.IRA/ R.IRA) Thought it was appropriate.

Your thoughts?

Here we go again, there's bound to be some IRA retaliation.
Reply 101
Original post by technik
I'm aware of their activities even from afar due to my family and their situation back home.

My point is these guys are a bunch of amateurs on the whole. I'm not sure how old most of you are but I suspect I'm a little bit older and it makes me old enough to remember the tail end of "when it was really on". Most "students" at the moment were only small babies or not even born then. Then you had people getting killed every week but now they don't have the capability or man power to do this. Like I said, they're losers.

What's your opinion on the new one, the Óglaigh na hÉireann?

Original post by Rascacielos
Here we go again, there's bound to be some IRA retaliation.

It was the 'RA that did it?
Original post by Hylean

It was the 'RA that did it?

Sorry, sorry. It's late and I've had a couple of glasses of vino.
Reply 103
Original post by technik
I'm aware of their activities even from afar due to my family and their situation back home.

My point is these guys are a bunch of amateurs on the whole. I'm not sure how old most of you are but I suspect I'm a little bit older and it makes me old enough to remember the tail end of "when it was really on". Most "students" at the moment were only small babies or not even born then. Then you had people getting killed every week but now they don't have the capability or man power to do this. Like I said, they're losers.

As for this Policeman, he's clearly been outed because he was a Catholic and linked to the GAA. GAA clubs always had a scum element in them and they still do. It only takes one to find you out.

They don't need man power. Gerry Adams has said himself the main problems is that it just takes 1,2,3 or 4 people to carry out attacks like this for a long time.

I would be suprised if it came from someone in his own GAA club. Yes there may be some hardliners that are in the club. But at the end of the day I don't think they would want to see their freind dead. And given Omagh's history, I wouldn't suspect there are many dissidents with any real influence in the area.

I'd say suspected dissidents in the likes of Strabane and South Derry will be visiting the serious crime unit in Antrim

edit:

Although the PSNI are standing by the claim it could of be done without inside information, some are suspecting rats within the force. The surge to recruit catholics, some are saying, has let some dissident informants into the PSNI. Sounds like 'the departed' but thats just what I read.

I would tend to believe this over a team mate at his GAA club signing his death warrent.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 104
Original post by Hylean

Theres two of them is there not? Both RIRA/CIRA splinters, I don't think they merged did they?
Reply 105
Theres two of them is there not? Both RIRA/CIRA splinters, I don't think they merged did they?

Nope. Thought you knew all this. :p:

Óglaigh na hÉireann is a new group, formed within the past few years by ex Provos who are have lost belief in Sinn Fein and politics as a way of reunification.
Reply 106
Original post by Hylean
Nope. Thought you knew all this. :p:

Óglaigh na hÉireann is a new group, formed within the past few years by ex Provos who are have lost belief in Sinn Fein and politics as a way of reunification.

I do..actually.

Turns out we're both right. Yes what you said is right about losing belief in SF.

And I'm also right, the was a split in the CIRA and in the RIRA (Michael Mckevitt's faction) both using the name Óglaigh na hÉirean. But are not connected.
Reply 107
They don't need man power. Gerry Adams has said himself the main problems is that it just takes 1,2,3 or 4 people to carry out attacks like this for a long time.

I would be suprised if it came from someone in his own GAA club. Yes there may be some hardliners that are in the club. But at the end of the day I don't think they would want to see their freind dead. And given Omagh's history, I wouldn't suspect there are many dissidents with any real influence in the area.

I'd say suspected dissidents in the likes of Strabane and South Derry will be visiting the serious crime unit in Antrim

edit:

Although the PSNI are standing by the claim it could of be done without inside information, some are suspecting rats within the force. The surge to recruit catholics, some are saying, has let some dissident informants into the PSNI. Sounds like 'the departed' but thats just what I read.

I would tend to believe this over a team mate at his GAA club signing his death warrent.

Indeed...good chance some of the new lot brought in to "make it fairer" have suspect private lives and acquaintances. This idea isn't a new one though. One of the many flaws of "50:50" which it seems is soon coming to an end.

Didn't say team mate. There's more people in GAA clubs than players.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by technik
Indeed...good chance some of the new lot brought in to "make it fairer" have suspect private lives and acquaintances. This idea isn't a new one though. One of the many flaws of "50:50" which it seems is soon coming to an end.

Didn't say team mate. There's more people in GAA clubs than players.

I retract the team-mate statement. But even at that, GAA clubs, particualry one as small as his are very close knit communities where everyone knows everyone. I stand by my comment that I would be suprised if he was sold out from within his own club.

Word travels fast, could of been anything from inside PSNI sources via rats to someone over hearing a conversation. Certainly will be interesting to see what happens over the fourth coming months.

Reply 109
Looks like progress in the investigation of some sort anyway...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/apr/06/ronan-kerr-man-arrested-scotland
Good news to see another one down, one less pig on the street
Original post by insanetothebrain

That's someones son, and you're the pig. It's never a good thing when anyone dies none the less when someone is murdered especially for nothing.
Original post by insanetothebrain

Unless you truly believe in anarchy (in which case well meh) do you really mean that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending