The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by Keith Lemon
What Uni?

Between now and Uni work on getting some fat off, its all about power to weight when it comes to the water.

Lots and lots of cardio, long steady state, medium stuff (30/40min erg), and some HITT stuff as well.

As for 2k times, depends what level you are wanting to compete at, but a good Uni rower will be pulling sub 6:30 bare minimum, the fast guys will be doing sub 6:10.

Thanks for that, thats exactly the sort of stuff I wanted to know. I'm at the gym three, sometimes four times a week atm doing different muscle groups and a chunk of cardio every session so I have already started work on losing the body fat.

And I'm going to Hull Uni so I'd be looking at the Yorkshire competitions, not Oxbridge standard but I'm told they're pretty respectable. The Hull Uni rowing club has been going since the 1800s or something so it's pretty old school.
Original post by JoshKSM
Thanks for that, thats exactly the sort of stuff I wanted to know. I'm at the gym three, sometimes four times a week atm doing different muscle groups and a chunk of cardio every session so I have already started work on losing the body fat.

And I'm going to Hull Uni so I'd be looking at the Yorkshire competitions, not Oxbridge standard but I'm told they're pretty respectable. The Hull Uni rowing club has been going since the 1800s or something so it's pretty old school.

Nice one, put your main focus on getting fit, and getting technique sorted (if it isn't already).
is it normal to have one side of your body that is much stronger than the other??... my right hand side is miles stronger than my left, dunno if its from rowing or just general righthandedness
Original post by victoria13
is it normal to have one side of your body that is much stronger than the other??... my right hand side is miles stronger than my left, dunno if its from rowing or just general righthandedness

It often is, hence why people are careful to train both sides of their body equally. But sweep can also change the strength of one side of your body. My right hand side used to be stronger, but then I rowed strokeside for 2 years and despite having only sculled for the last two years, my left hand side is still noticeably stronger than my right

Have you predominantly rowed on one side for years? If so, will be that, start sculling in a 1x more, and switch sides up a bit, always helpful to be able to row both sides.
Have you predominantly rowed on one side for years? If so, will be that, start sculling in a 1x more, and switch sides up a bit, always helpful to be able to row both sides.

yeah i have only ever rowed bow side so i reckon thats why, im trying to get into sculling more, but i find it really hard!
yeah i have only ever rowed bow side so i reckon thats why, im trying to get into sculling more, but i find it really hard!

Yeah it's usually what most single sided rowers find.

Definately worth getting out in a 1x/2x, will improve your rowing no end, hand heights, perfecting the finish etc. Everything throughout the stroke will have to become more refined in a single, take this into a big boat and it'll help a lot. (Providing you row with people that are good, lol).
I'm trying to encourage use of smaller boats in my boat club. I've sculled a few times before, and I think as Keith Lemon said, it's useful to perfect the stroke. My friend and I are supposed to be going out soon, however everyone else isn't so keen because they've never done it before and are scared of capsising so even when people who have sculled before offer to take them out, they refuse :p: This makes the practice of perfecting the stroke a bit useless, considering there will be a couple of people in the boat who manage it and the rest are the same as before. Takes more than two people to pull an 8 through the water.
Original post by Jessaay!
I'm trying to encourage use of smaller boats in my boat club. I've sculled a few times before, and I think as Keith Lemon said, it's useful to perfect the stroke. My friend and I are supposed to be going out soon, however everyone else isn't so keen because they've never done it before and are scared of capsising so even when people who have sculled before offer to take them out, they refuse :p: This makes the practice of perfecting the stroke a bit useless, considering there will be a couple of people in the boat who manage it and the rest are the same as before. Takes more than two people to pull an 8 through the water.

Get a quad out?

They are ridiculously stable boats, just have one pair sitting it whilst the other row on.

Put someone who can scull well in the bow seat, so they can look down the boat and coach a bit.
Get a quad out?

They are ridiculously stable boats, just have one pair sitting it whilst the other row on.

Put someone who can scull well in the bow seat, so they can look down the boat and coach a bit.

We don't have one :frown:
We don't have one :frown:

Try and get some money together for quad riggers, and stick them on a 4+/-?! (might not be the easiest option though).

Or

Is there any local clubs that you could borrow a boat from?
Try and get some money together for quad riggers, and stick them on a 4+/-?! (might not be the easiest option though).

Or

Is there any local clubs that you could borrow a boat from?

In terms of money we don't have any, and our next purchase is apparently going to be a new 8 to replace the one my boat row in which is from the early 90s and falling to pieces :p:

Fair point about borrowing one though :hmm: Not sure how easy it'll be.
In terms of money we don't have any, and our next purchase is apparently going to be a new 8 to replace the one my boat row in which is from the early 90s and falling to pieces :p:

Fair point about borrowing one though :hmm: Not sure how easy it'll be.

Haha, yeah that's fair enough, most boats clubs don't have a massive budget.

I would look into borrowing though, e-mail a club and see what they say.
Reply 933
Original post by JoshKSM

Well, from the BUCS Indoor Champs earlier this year, most of Hull's guys are around the 7'10 mark. So providing you tank the cardio, you'll be getting in that range with little/no problems at all.

It's quite relaxed at Hull as well, as one of my friends from school could tell you, so I'm sure you'll be fine there.
Reply 934
Hey guys,

I'm hoping you'll be able to answer a question about rowing for me (well for my friend but yeah it's the same concept :L)

I have a friend who wants start rowing and she wants to know whether there is a weight limit on the boats?

If you could reply, that would be most helpful and I can pass the replies on to her...not sure why she couldn't join and ask you herself but there you go :P

Cheers in advance!
Original post by Magic_
Hey guys,

I'm hoping you'll be able to answer a question about rowing for me (well for my friend but yeah it's the same concept :L)

I have a friend who wants start rowing and she wants to know whether there is a weight limit on the boats?

If you could reply, that would be most helpful and I can pass the replies on to her...not sure why she couldn't join and ask you herself but there you go :P

Cheers in advance!

Boats usually have average weights, these range from 50kg odd - 120kg+, so regardless of size (to an extent), your friend will be fine, lol, she'd be stuck in a boat to suit her weight.
Reply 936
Thank you for replying :smile:

I'll pass that on to her :smile:
Reply 937
Original post by Tabris
Well, from the BUCS Indoor Champs earlier this year, most of Hull's guys are around the 7'10 mark. So providing you tank the cardio, you'll be getting in that range with little/no problems at all.

It's quite relaxed at Hull as well, as one of my friends from school could tell you, so I'm sure you'll be fine there.

Thanks, good to know I'm not gonna have to be ripped to participate hah
Reply 938
Hey people,

I'm going to Durham in October and I'm really keen to join the boat club (college and/or uni). I'm of a pretty good standard of fitness already but am a complete rowing novice, aside from using the erg at the gym. I'm pretty tall and I'm quite strong which I think could work in my favour.

However, over the summer, I really want to work out to build my strength/skills. Would anyone be able to give me any tips in terms of what I should be doing exercise-wise and if there are any nutritional tips you would recommend I would be v.grateful for them as well!
Original post by kates:)
Hey people,

I'm going to Durham in October and I'm really keen to join the boat club (college and/or uni). I'm of a pretty good standard of fitness already but am a complete rowing novice, aside from using the erg at the gym. I'm pretty tall and I'm quite strong which I think could work in my favour.

However, over the summer, I really want to work out to build my strength/skills. Would anyone be able to give me any tips in terms of what I should be doing exercise-wise and if there are any nutritional tips you would recommend I would be v.grateful for them as well!

Nutrition just eat a lot and eat cleanly. I think its obvious to most people what they should be eating but motivation is the real problem. (try to keep you bodyfat at a medium/low percentage if possible).

Training wise, erg as much as possible. Watch videos online and try to erg in front of a mirror to get the technique down properly. When you feel like your driving with your legs and suspending off the handle with your body weight then you're probably doing the right thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqVmMd7FdAA
is a good technique video.

Weights you want to be doing squats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vELNQm42pdk
deadlifts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjBI9qxibTc
straight leg deadlifts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpzRX3slWjE

and then maybe press-ups, pull ups and dips should complete it. Do lots of core too, just youtube some core circuits or something.

One of the best exercises is cleans but its pretty technical and you will probably need a proper coach before trying it.

Also get used to pushing yourself. A lot of people spend a lot of time training their body without training their mind. Doing a good erg is very hard as you have to be able to sit on the redline for up to half an hour. Get into the mindset of never giving up, no matter what part of the training process your in.

Quick Reply

Latest