The Student Room Group

Mini or Peugeot 206cc for first car?

Heya Everyone!

Just wondering if I could get some help on choice of cars. It is between the following cars:

Mini Cooper 1.6 Petrol 2001/2002

Mini One 1.6 Petrol 2001/2002

Peugeot 206 CC Convertible 2002/2003

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The Mini One if insurance is an issue.

The pug? You should check out how much it cost to fix the hood if it does go wrong.......and it does go wrong right around that age.
assuming you have done the research and can afford to buy insure and keep those cars, i would go for either the cooper or the 206 convertible. i personally would have the 206 convertible since i dislike mini's in general, however if you have the budget why not look at the 2ltr Turbo Diesel 306 (convertible or not) it is a slightly nicer better and cheaper to insure car.
Reply 3
206 convertible? :hahaha:
Reply 4
Original post by superturtle
Heya Everyone!

Just wondering if I could get some help on choice of cars. It is between the following cars:

Thanks!

Peugeot is definitley a no no
just get a Mini, but the one is obviously cheaper to insure
Reply 5
Hi first of all i would go for the mini as its made by BMW and the build and value should in theory hold up better.. but also you will probably get more for you money in the 206cc (newer and less mileage) due to the above fact of not holding value as well.. Mini will also be cheaper to insure - the cooper will cost you more as well!!... im a mature student (32) and have a decent knowledge of cars & motors having worked in the industry for over 10 years... if your still looking for a car then try Motorzone UK. i was recommended to them by a friend.. they advertise all types of vehicles so loads to choose from and you can sell your own for 3.99!.. hope you find what your looking for..:smile:
Reply 6
dear me, do not get a pug cc. i drove one once and the rattling from the roof put me off for life. it was so loud, i could barely hear the engine.
i'd go for the mini if you can afford it.
Reply 7
those MINI's are crap cars.
I wouldn't pick anything from that list and i've bought and sold plenty of examples of each!
Reply 8
Don't get a 206 CC my mum had one of those cars and it's just not practical. Contrary to the claims of the manufacturer it is not a 4 seater car, it's a 2 seater with a bucket in the back. If you ever need to give passengers a lift they're going to be squashed and uncomfortable any journeys longer than 20 minutes are painful. Compared to a mini their acceleration is absolutely appalling, they look ugly, the doors are clunky and heavy, the automatic roofs develop faults after a while, and because of being badly designed the simple action of moving ones seat backwards and forwards can dislodge wires linking to the passenger and drivers airbags causing them to be disabled (this was confirmed by a peugeot garage when it was taken in for a service)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
My brother got a 2002 Mini Cooper 1.6, the gearbox exploded and it had only done 70k miles.

I would get a pretty thorough check of it before you buy.

But I would still get the Mini over the 206cc!
Original post by superturtle
Heya Everyone!

Thanks!

Id go for the mini cooper
Reply 11
Post 2006 MINIs are amazing. Pre 2006 have two main known issues, these being that the clutch tends to go after around 35k and that the power steering pumps tend to burn out after a few years. Tbh I would try and get the newest car you can afford. Although MINIs are cracking cars, the old ones will come with the problems old cars get... only with BMW parts prices.
Reply 12
Just to add... the post 2006 MINIs are a total re-build. Not one part of the car is the same as on a pre 2006 MINI, hence it is the MUCH better car of the two.
Reply 13
Peugeot? Convertible? Are you homosexual by any chance? Any French car is terrible and a convertible is definitely a girls car.

And yeah the post-2006 MINIs are very good. Test drove a Cooper S yesterday, was great. But then they're totally different to the pre-2006 models so this is pretty much useless information.

I wish I could have afforded to insure a 1.6 when I just passed my test...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Mini's are cool. Get one.
Reply 15
lol have you checked the insurance on the 206? Im 34, and it was nearly £900 to insure it with 9 yrs no claims!!
Reply 16
Original post by FXX
Peugeot? Convertible? Are you homosexual by any chance? Any French car is terrible and a convertible is definitely a girls car.

And yeah the post-2006 MINIs are very good. Test drove a Cooper S yesterday, was great. But then they're totally different to the pre-2006 models so this is pretty much useless information.

I wish I could have afforded to insure a 1.6 when I just passed my test...

How did you like my former car? Did you have a go with a JCW version?
Reply 17
Original post by Iorek
How did you like my former car? Did you have a go with a JCW version?

I wanted to drive the JCW but they didn't have it so will be driving it in the near future :smile: Yeah I loved it, hoping to buy the JCW next year. I asked on a mini forum whether I should get a MCS with JCW mods (they do a sport pack with them bundled in now) or put a bit more money into a full JCW and they said go with the latter because it still has better brakes, a better turbo and a better engine. Can't wait to test it now :tongue:
Reply 18
Thanks everyone. A couple of days ago, I decided to go for the MINI anyway, so it is all good

Thanks!
Reply 19
Original post by FXX
I wanted to drive the JCW but they didn't have it so will be driving it in the near future :smile: Yeah I loved it, hoping to buy the JCW next year. I asked on a mini forum whether I should get a MCS with JCW mods (they do a sport pack with them bundled in now) or put a bit more money into a full JCW and they said go with the latter because it still has better brakes, a better turbo and a better engine. Can't wait to test it now :tongue:

Both the MCS and the JCW actually has 90% similar engine components, but the tuning differs between them. The turbo is also slightly bigger, but unlike the JCW the MCS has very little turbo lag.

Suspension wise, the JCW suspension can quite easily be fitted into a regular MCS.

But the thing that differs a lot is the clutch and gearbox, you drive the MCS hard and you're bound to blow a clutch or if you try to retune it to have a higher output you can just as well blow the gearbox as well. The JCW version somehow or rather does not give any problems with the clutch or gearbox even if you thrash the daylights out of it. My guess is they did toughen up the gearbox to cope with the extra horses.

If you're an enthusiastic driver, then it's best to get the JCW. Unless you will be under 21 when you get the keys to it, forget the MCS :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest