The Student Room Group

How Brit System works-accepting at more than one uni

I need to clarify something in the UK system, I can't seem to find information on this.

I'm an American student, applying to several UK uni's for an MA. If I'm reading your rules right, I can't apply for a scholarship until I accept an offer. If I get accepted at more than one uni, can I accept more than one offer, apply for scholarships and see what I get, or do I have to make a firm decision, whether I get a scholarship or not?
Reply 1
Hey OP,

Because postgraduate degrees in the UK can be expensive, and because most funding comes from outside the university, it has become perfectly acceptable practice (even expected) to accept as many offers as you are interested in and wait to hear for funding news. Once you have all your info about funding you then email the departments of the universities you don't intend to go to and explain that you very much appreciate their offer of a place, but as you have been offered funding elsewhere, will not be taking up your place. We all do it, and universities know the funding situations, so I wouldn't worry about it too much :smile:
Original post by Tasha1986
Hey OP,

Because postgraduate degrees in the UK can be expensive, and because most funding comes from outside the university, it has become perfectly acceptable practice (even expected) to accept as many offers as you are interested in and wait to hear for funding news. Once you have all your info about funding you then email the departments of the universities you don't intend to go to and explain that you very much appreciate their offer of a place, but as you have been offered funding elsewhere, will not be taking up your place. We all do it, and universities know the funding situations, so I wouldn't worry about it too much :smile:

Yes but it still very a uncomfortable situation. I don't know what to write exactly, is there some model somewhere ?
Reply 3
When I was doing my master's applications I had to do this. I wrote letters saying something along the lines of:

Dear ......

I am writing to let you know that it is with regret that I will be unable to take up the place on (insert course name) that you offered me on (insert date). I had been hoping to secure university/external (delete as appropriate) funding that would have enabled me to take up my place, but unfortunately I have not been successful in this endeavour, and cannot afford to self-fund my studies. I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause the Department, and I hope that this letter reaches you in time to make an offer to another student.
Yours Sincerely,
Reply 4

When I was doing my master's applications I had to do this. I wrote letters saying something along the lines of:

Dear ......

I am writing to let you know that it is with regret that I will be unable to take up the place on (insert course name) that you offered me on (insert date). I had been hoping to secure university/external (delete as appropriate) funding that would have enabled me to take up my place, but unfortunately I have not been successful in this endeavour, and cannot afford to self-fund my studies. I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause the Department, and I hope that this letter reaches you in time to make an offer to another student.
Yours Sincerely,

The number of those letters I've written must be into double figures.
Reply 5
Thank you so much, I was really confused and didn't want to ask one of the admissions offices at the uni (in America we would call that "just plain rude") :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by LysFromParis
Yes but it still very a uncomfortable situation. I don't know what to write exactly, is there some model somewhere ?

There's no need for it to be uncomfortable, it's the way things are done! The people in the admissions office aren't exactly going to break down in tears every time they receive such a letter...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending