The Student Room Group

downshifting after exiting motorway

Scroll to see replies

I normally keep mine in 4th, exit and keep it in 4th till I slow up to less than 30mph. The Landie has a top speed of 62mph and no 5th gear..
Reply 61
Original post by gbduo
Yep! Pretty much, haha!

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Plus it is damn good fun and makes you a better driver, more aware of what is going on than simply using a car, you are driving it. I feel more in control and more in tune with the car.

But different people see cars in different ways and different cars respond to bad input in different ways. Your average rep mobile or eurobox is not going to care if you set the car up, weight transfer and heel and toe, but if you don't do it in a sports car or a classic car you are going to get all tied up very quick and end up with your rear facing the direction you were going as you lock the rear wheels up trying to block change like the good ol DSA teach you, wrongly. Some cars can be driven appallingly and forgive you, proper cars will not look kindly on poor driving. The S2k is certainly one of them, particularly in the wet with no traction control! Come off a motorway slip or go through a country lane and rely on the brakes solely at your peril...

As someone who has passed their test using just the DSA techniques, how could I go about teaching myself good driving?

I've had my license for about a year, and won't have a car for a couple of years at least, but I would at least like to look up the methods. I know absolutely nothing but I could learn, I hope :tongue:.

I do remember my examiner telling me after my test that I might have been using engine braking a little bit too much, but he didn't really say if this was a good thing or a bad thing :confused: Said it in a very neutral way.

I want to be a good driver!
Reply 62
Original post by tface
As someone who has passed their test using just the DSA techniques, how could I go about teaching myself good driving?

I've had my license for about a year, and won't have a car for a couple of years at least, but I would at least like to look up the methods. I know absolutely nothing but I could learn, I hope :tongue:.

I do remember my examiner telling me after my test that I might have been using engine braking a little bit too much, but he didn't really say if this was a good thing or a bad thing :confused: Said it in a very neutral way.

Get some experience using the DSA methods, they are pretty idiot proof and you won't get in a mess.

Then get on forums like Pistonheads and read up on progressive driving and anticipation. Then you can start looking into heel and toe and double declutching, there are numerous tutorials online.

Also, you could go on experience and racing driver tuition at track days which are quite useful in telling you how a car behaves when you brake/accelerate, which tyres will have grip and get you to learn how a car behaves on the limit, which although you should never ever get to the limit on a public road, it is reassuring to know how to deal with that situation if it were to arise. Weight transfer is very important when you accelerate, brake and corner, the shift in mass of the car unsettles the car and if you are able to keep the car balanced you not only have greater control but you are being smooth with your actions which will save you fuel if driven sensibly.

As I say though, heel and toe can only really be done where the pedals are not staggered and not a million miles apart, I would leave that until you have either a older car or a drivers car. However, blipping the throttle on downshifts when you are just using engine braking is good for the transmission as you are rev matching the speed of the engine to the speed of the output shaft, thus reducing the lurching motion that you get by letting the road wheels speed the engine up.

There is nothing wrong with engine braking, it should be used in conjunction with normal foot braking.

Hope this helps!

Graham
Original post by tface

There is quite a lot of good info in the following thread (although I confess that I haven't read it all)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=346419

This website is also good:

http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/driving-tips-menu.htm

Probably less interesting (especially as someone who doesn't have immediate access to a car to go and try it as well) to read than what Graham has suggested though!!

Some videos you might find interesting (I've posted you to the uploaders' channels so you can browse them all):

http://www.youtube.com/user/BespokeGroupUKLtd

http://www.youtube.com/user/UltDrivingCraft

and two particular favourites of mine from those two channels are:
and

Both of these are applications of the Roadcraft system but without the constraint of speed limits (although police driving is based on Roadcraft, there is lots of other training involved as well) - don't try this at home most definately applies!

All of the above is based upon the 'Roadcraft' system of driving which is what the police have used for many many years. This system is often a bit like Marmite - some people love it and see it as the key to progressive, considerate and safe driving, and some see the system as 'how to drive a Volvo' (although I think the video above of Mark Kendrick taking a corner at 100mph on the Isle of Man goes some way to shattering this illusion!). Roadcraft focuses only on preventing dangerous situations occuring so there is very little in it related to correction once you hvae messed up - this is where the skills learnt on a track day might come in handy.

There was also a very good website on defensive driving which I remember reading some time ago, however I can't find the link at the moment - if I come across it I will update this post!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by loz957
I seriously wouldn't downshift into 2nd gear at 70+mph

70 in second is do able in my car :P
Reply 65
Original post by iwantcheese5
70 in second is do able in my car :P

What do you drive?

Having said that, my dad used to have a 99 Impreza turbo, and when accelerating he would hold 2nd gear until 70.
Reply 66
Original post by loz957
What do you drive?

Having said that, my dad used to have a 99 Impreza turbo, and when accelerating he would hold 2nd gear until 70.

I believe it it is a RX-8.

With the amount that thing revs to, I can believe it!
Reply 67
Yeah cars like the RX-8 and the Civic Type R might be able to do 70 in 2nd... but there's a difference between entering a gear at 2000rpm and entering at 9000rpm bouncing off the limiter.
Original post by loz957
What do you drive?

Yea it's an RX-8 as someone said, and I wouldn't actually change down to 2nd at 70 because it really is the limit for that gear and my rev matching isn't the best (it really would be at 9000rpm with the buzzer blaring). The old 300ZX could do about 75 in second but that had silly long gears to the extent that it felt almost gutless in 5th at 70 even though it had ~300bhp and a heck of a lot of torque...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
You can't. The car does it for you. Unless you're talking about tip-tronic gearboxes?

Yes you can.

You er... move the shifter?

Or are you one of these folk that think you can just stick it in D and forget about the gearbox?
Original post by JC.
Yes you can.

You er... move the shifter?

Or are you one of these folk that think you can just stick it in D and forget about the gearbox?

Yes, the latter. I'm exactly that folk. Though I drive a manual, but used to have a 330 and there is no need for first or second on an auto I can tell you that right now.
Reply 71
Original post by gbduo
Get some experience using the DSA methods, they are pretty idiot proof and you won't get in a mess.

Then get on forums like Pistonheads and read up on progressive driving and anticipation. Then you can start looking into heel and toe and double declutching, there are numerous tutorials online.

Also, you could go on experience and racing driver tuition at track days which are quite useful in telling you how a car behaves when you brake/accelerate, which tyres will have grip and get you to learn how a car behaves on the limit, which although you should never ever get to the limit on a public road, it is reassuring to know how to deal with that situation if it were to arise. Weight transfer is very important when you accelerate, brake and corner, the shift in mass of the car unsettles the car and if you are able to keep the car balanced you not only have greater control but you are being smooth with your actions which will save you fuel if driven sensibly.

As I say though, heel and toe can only really be done where the pedals are not staggered and not a million miles apart, I would leave that until you have either a older car or a drivers car. However, blipping the throttle on downshifts when you are just using engine braking is good for the transmission as you are rev matching the speed of the engine to the speed of the output shaft, thus reducing the lurching motion that you get by letting the road wheels speed the engine up.

There is nothing wrong with engine braking, it should be used in conjunction with normal foot braking.

Hope this helps!

Graham

Yeah I will definitely get experience (after uni most likely :frown:) before trying anything 'fancy' :tongue:

Original post by TheFatController
There is quite a lot of good info in the following thread (although I confess that I haven't read it all)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=346419

This website is also good:

http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/driving-tips-menu.htm

Probably less interesting (especially as someone who doesn't have immediate access to a car to go and try it as well) to read than what Graham has suggested though!!

Some videos you might find interesting (I've posted you to the uploaders' channels so you can browse them all):

http://www.youtube.com/user/BespokeGroupUKLtd

http://www.youtube.com/user/UltDrivingCraft

and two particular favourites of mine from those two channels are:
and

Both of these are applications of the Roadcraft system but without the constraint of speed limits (although police driving is based on Roadcraft, there is lots of other training involved as well) - don't try this at home most definately applies!

All of the above is based upon the 'Roadcraft' system of driving which is what the police have used for many many years. This system is often a bit like Marmite - some people love it and see it as the key to progressive, considerate and safe driving, and some see the system as 'how to drive a Volvo' (although I think the video above of Mark Kendrick taking a corner at 100mph on the Isle of Man goes some way to shattering this illusion!). Roadcraft focuses only on preventing dangerous situations occuring so there is very little in it related to correction once you hvae messed up - this is where the skills learnt on a track day might come in handy.

There was also a very good website on defensive driving which I remember reading some time ago, however I can't find the link at the moment - if I come across it I will update this post!

Thanks for the awesome help both of you guys, I will start reading up 'cause I am interested in it all :smile:

+ rep to you both when I have it!
Reply 72
Yes, the latter. I'm exactly that folk. Though I drive a manual, but used to have a 330 and there is no need for first or second on an auto I can tell you that right now.

What did you do to control your speed when descending a steep incline? Ride the brakes?
Original post by Butane
What did you do to control your speed when descending a steep incline? Ride the brakes?

Descending an incline? lol?
Reply 74

There are a lot of times it comes in very useful. If, for any reason, you need to hold the car down in a gear to keep the revs up (towing a heavy trailer up a long hill, for example, so it doesn't keep on changing up and straight down again) or to give you engine braking (going down long hills, especially with a lot of weight in the vehicle). Saying there's no need to have lockdown gears on an auto simply because you have no idea how to use them or how they work is a little ignorant :rolleyes:
Original post by Nuffles
There are a lot of times it comes in very useful. If, for any reason, you need to hold the car down in a gear to keep the revs up (towing a heavy trailer up a long hill, for example, so it doesn't keep on changing up and straight down again) or to give you engine braking (going down long hills, especially with a lot of weight in the vehicle). Saying there's no need to have lockdown gears on an auto simply because you have no idea how to use them or how they work is a little ignorant :rolleyes:

I do know how to use them, I just choose, like many others not to use them, thanks for the patronising talk though big chap.
Reply 76
Descending an incline? lol?

Goin' down that there hill?
Original post by Butane
Goin' down that there hill?

Isn't it a decline when you're going down a hill?
Reply 78
I do know how to use them, I just choose, like many others not to use them, thanks for the patronising talk though big chap.

You said 'there is no need for first or second on an auto I can tell you that right now', doesn't sound like you know how to use them to me.. There is need for them, you just don't make full use of it.
Original post by Nuffles
You said 'there is no need for first or second on an auto I can tell you that right now', doesn't sound like you know how to use them to me.. There is need for them, you just don't make full use of it.

Not anymore, as aforementioned, I drive a manual now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending