The Student Room Group

Lets set Land Rovers record straight here

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheFatController
Think of all the infrastructure and carbon emissions involved in building a new car and shipping it over here simply to replace a perfectly good car.

Point taken. Thanks for explaining :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by mother_eve3088
I'm perfectly happy with my 20 year old Golf :smile:

*ridiculous
In regards to emissions, I'm afraid it IS something that should be on peoples lists. Its a fact. If its on the bottom of yours then I'm pretty disgusted to be honest. But it sounds like you might fit into a stenotype of people, in which case I suppose I'd just have to be disgusted at how ignorant some people can be and write you off as not worth it.

Pretty sure my new Land Rover emits less per km than your 20 year old Golf :smile:

If it didn't it would be darn close and my company did pay a carbon offset for it as well...... hope you did the same, else do contact your nearest Land Rover garage who could help you make a donation to offset your emissions from operating a motor vehicle.

Think of all the infrastructure and carbon emissions involved in building a new car and shipping it over here simply to replace a perfectly good car.

Think of the economic cost of having older cars, the general safety standards of many older cars are abysmal at best. Think of all the lost man hours which would result with more cars breaking down.

Think of the economic cost of factories closing down as a result, just look at both Coventry and Birmingham and compare them to the times of their heyday when Britain was still a major car producer... same goes for Detroit, in Michigan.
Original post by Iorek

Think of the economic cost of having older cars, the general safety standards of many older cars are abysmal at best. Think of all the lost man hours which would result with more cars breaking down.

Think of the economic cost of factories closing down as a result, just look at both Coventry and Birmingham and compare them to the times of their heyday when Britain was still a major car producer... same goes for Detroit, in Michigan.

Absolutely correct

I'm not against building new cars at all. I was simply illustrating to mother_eve3088 the argument that new cars did incur carbon footprint (something which, if you read my other posts on this thread, you'll see that I don't see as being particularly relevant, anyway).

I doubt your Land Rover emits less CO2 than the old Golf, but it probably emits less of the real nasties (i.e. other pollution in the fumes)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JC.
Unneccesary to whom exactly?
When you go out and earn your own money, you can spend it on what the hell you like. The whole "neccesary" argument is only relevent to the person who's handing over the dosh and signing the V5c.
I find it unbelievable that you think you have the right to question how anyone spends their own money.

On a personal level, you couldn't pay me to drive a FWD clown car.

Of course I have the right! It's a free country! Furthermore the question was specifically on other peoples opinions of Landrover ownership.
By all means, spend your money on what you like. If, however, I see you driving through a suburban housing estate in any four-wheel drive, droping kids off at school, doing the weekly shop etc. then I will think of you as a cock, because if you drive a petrol-guzzling lump of metal for the sake of it when any sensible person would have got a VW or a Ford, then you are a cock.

I really couldn't care what I could and couldn't pay you to drive. You've obviously got some kind of superiority complex and you're probably compensating for some penis-related inadequacy. Furthermore, you drive a landrover and have no need to travel on anything other than well constructed Tarmac, and are therefore a cock.
As you may know i used to drive Landrover series 2 and 3 when i was about 12 years old, the series 2 was SWB and had the left wing missing with the exhaust running up the windscreen, the doors did not fit properly and had a lot of leaks. Somehow it was the most reliable Landrover we had on the estate and we had 3 all together, the other 2 were series 3 LWB and one of them i converted to a 2.5 Rover V8 because we had expanded the estate and had a huge hill and potential, extreme off road tracks which was alot of fun with the motorbikes aswel. The Landorver were used as daily working vehicles like when we were logging, towing and getting over the rough terrain etc. I must say they were fantastic vehicles to work with, broke down in them all the time but 30 minutes of working on them they were back to work. We had quite a collection of cars in the paddock such as triumph dolomite sprints (which were a bag of crap), Austin Seven Ruby, Reliant Ant and 2.0L turbo diesel Montego estates which were used for racing down the long 2 mile private road/driveway to the estate and fields behind. We later got another Landrover which was another Series 3 SWB which somebody had put a V8 in and big off road tyres which was alot of fun on the road and off but we didnt keep it for long. Anyway the moral of the story is the Landrover from the working man years were great machines, these days all i see is small women who cant see over the top of the steering wheel driving their kids to school in a massive Landrover Range Rover taking up all the road and way to scared to even move onto the grass verge which is why i ask the question: Why buy a Landrover that your not going to attempt to go off road with? And why bother making the damn things if their not going to be used to their full potential?? What has this working world come to?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
At 18 I was paying £700/year
Reply 46

The thing with landrovers is that unless you're working on a farm and actually NEED the 4x4 gear box, there is no reason to have one unless you do it for the status.

Or need to move big stuff around.. or tow.. Even if it's only an occasional need you wouldn't expect people to run two cars would you?
When I was working on a farm in the autumn I think I needed 4WD once, when I was in a rut in a very muddy field - most of the time I was trundling up and down the track and I could quite easily have taken my car up there. The problem is, every once in a while you do need the extra capability - whether it's 4WD, load space or whatever.

Firstly, they emit more than smaller cars.

Aye, but a BMW 5 series or a Volvo estate also emit more - it doesn't mean a small car is suitable for everyone. I couldn't run anything smaller than a 5 door hatchback - something like a Ka or a Mini wouldn't be practical for me. Just because a small car with low emissions does everything one person needs doesn't mean it will do for another.

Secondly, they take up more space and are generally more awkward.
Ever looked at the footprint of a Landy? Defenders certainly have a pretty similar footprint to a medium size car (or an estate if it's a 110) but obviously they're taller and a bit boxier, which gives an impression of being bigger.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
I'm sorry but I don't understand how changing your car every three years would affect your carbon footprint? Surely changing your car changes nothing else than your bank balance?

Really? You really have the nerve to pontificate on here regarding pollution and carbon footprints, yet fail to understand the most basic aspects of the argument? 'kin hell - give me strength.

I also particularly like the idea that people who drive Land Rovers on road are dicks. Both our Range Rovers travel on the road. Both also work around the farm. If we didn't use them on road, we'd need to buy a large estate to 'replace' them. Except the large estate wouldn't work off road, so we'd still need the Range Rovers. In other words, we'd have bought an additional vehicle (with all the associated production costs) to do what the Range Rover already could. So we'd have caused more pollution in purchasing an additional vehicle, yet nobody would consider us dicks for driving an estate on the road because it's perceived to be 'acceptable'. The stupidity demonstrated in this thread leads me to one conclusion - society no longer provides sufficient selection pressures and humanity is devolving.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Absolutely correct

I'm not against building new cars at all. I was simply illustrating to mother_eve3088 the argument that new cars did incur carbon footprint (something which, if you read my other posts on this thread, you'll see that I don't see as being particularly relevant, anyway).

I doubt your Land Rover emits less CO2 than the old Golf, but it probably emits less of the real nasties (i.e. other pollution in the fumes)

The LR Disco 4 emits 244g/km, it's new picked it up in Feb... hence the figures are probably correct to 3 standard deviations.

A 20 year old Golf, assuming it's a 1.6l Mk3 it would have let out 170-180g/km 20 years ago :smile: Today it probably would be letting out more than that and it would have been built to pass a EuroII standard of emissions.... we are on EuroV now :smile:

In any case even if I did release more carbon, when I picked up the LR, my company had already paid for a carbon offset program which is renewable every 3 years. Hence it's actually much greener than the 20 year old VW :smile:
Original post by JC.
I'm the first person to defend other folks right to a) buy what they want and b) do what they want to do with it.
Personally, I don't think I would buy a 4x4. I can, however apriciate why other people would want to own one. They are comfortable, easy to drive and in a head on collision scenario i'd rather be in a range rover than an aguila!

I certainly wouldn't write you off a "stingy" because you drive an old car. I do to. I have a '73 MGB GT factory V8 as my main car and I regularly swap keys with my other half who has an '83 Porsche 944. There will be another "antisocial" classic turning up on friday too and possibly another one this evening if the price is right.
You couldn't pay me to rock round in a modern euro-box. I'd be bored stiff!

With regard to emmisions, for every scientist saying that global warming is a problem theres another saying it isnt. until there is definitive proof one way or another I'll continue to run around in cars with large uneconomical V8's. Whilst the oil is still here, we might as well burn it, eh?
I'll probably be dead within the next 25 years anyway, so I can't see how a bit of extra petrol and tyre smoke is going to make any difference to me?

Although I'd agree with you on the head on collision bit, the only reason I can see for people wanting to own a land rover is the status that comes with it, UNLESS they are people who will actually be using it.

I apologise for jumping to conclusions in regards to the modern-car thing, I'm extremely jealous of your partners '83 Porsche... There is something about classic cars which are just beautiful. I'm about to get a 1964 Morris Minor Traveller, not quite the same styled car as yours by the sounds of it but still cannot wait!

I'm afraid I can't agree with you on using up oil once we've got it! The repercussions for those afterwards - or even us in our old age - are just a bit dire to think about if everybody considers you might as well make the most of it whilst you can whilst disregarding what the future holds. It may not make a difference to you (although may I ask how old you are if you think that in 25 years you'll be dead?!) but isn't it selfish to not bother thinking about those around you?
Original post by Iorek
Pretty sure my new Land Rover emits less per km than your 20 year old Golf :smile:

If it didn't it would be darn close and my company did pay a carbon offset for it as well...... hope you did the same, else do contact your nearest Land Rover garage who could help you make a donation to offset your emissions from operating a motor vehicle.

By pretty sure how sure are we? I've had my car in the garage being cleaned and sprigged up until its wayy under the limits of the carbon emission, also way under what it should be for the cars age!

Sorry but why would I contact my nearest Land Rover garage to make a donation? Firstly, I could easily do this by myself, secondly, they would take a cut, so why would I want to give them any more money than they already have?
Reply 51
Original post by JayTeeKay
Of course I have the right! It's a free country! Furthermore the question was specifically on other peoples opinions of Landrover ownership.
By all means, spend your money on what you like. If, however, I see you driving through a suburban housing estate in any four-wheel drive, droping kids off at school, doing the weekly shop etc. then I will think of you as a cock, because if you drive a petrol-guzzling lump of metal for the sake of it when any sensible person would have got a VW or a Ford, then you are a cock.

I really couldn't care what I could and couldn't pay you to drive. You've obviously got some kind of superiority complex and you're probably compensating for some penis-related inadequacy. Furthermore, you drive a landrover and have no need to travel on anything other than well constructed Tarmac, and are therefore a cock.

When you have to restort to making personal remarks you've lost the argument.

For the reccord I don't own a landrover - i've traded a few but never bought one for me.
Anyone who buys a KA et al is simply saying they couldn't care less about cars and that they see them as a tool to get from A to B.
People who choose to spend a bit more on their vehicle do so because they do care about what they drive. If you want the little luxuries in life, you have to expect to pay for them.

Getting on your high horse and citing them as "unneccesary" just makes you look ridiculous. If you're so narrow minded to think that you can determin what is and what isnt neccesary for another individual, I feel very sorry for you.
Reply 52
Although I'd agree with you on the head on collision bit, the only reason I can see for people wanting to own a land rover is the status that comes with it, UNLESS they are people who will actually be using it.

I apologise for jumping to conclusions in regards to the modern-car thing, I'm extremely jealous of your partners '83 Porsche... There is something about classic cars which are just beautiful. I'm about to get a 1964 Morris Minor Traveller, not quite the same styled car as yours by the sounds of it but still cannot wait!

I'm afraid I can't agree with you on using up oil once we've got it! The repercussions for those afterwards - or even us in our old age - are just a bit dire to think about if everybody considers you might as well make the most of it whilst you can whilst disregarding what the future holds. It may not make a difference to you (although may I ask how old you are if you think that in 25 years you'll be dead?!) but isn't it selfish to not bother thinking about those around you?

I live in Derbyshire. Most folk run around in a landrover of some description. Harldy a status symbol when everyone is doing the same thing, eh?

I don't see what the big deal is, anyway? Live n let live - that's what I try and do anyway.

My lifestyle choices may well be "selfish" in your eyes, but I'm not out to please everyone else. So long as I'm alright and my partner (who also likes fast toys) are alright that's all that matters to me.

For what it's worth, I'm 25 and for reasons I don't feel like going in to, it's very unlikely i'll make it to 50.
Reply 53
Please don't preach your environmentalist dogma here, this is a motoring forum. Go to one of the debate forums on this very site instead. You will not gain any ground here.

I currently drive a diesel out of necessity, but given the chance I would drive a big, uneconomical V8. Why? Because it's fun, and because I have the right to spend my money however I choose. Life is too short to deny yourself things that make day-to-day life that little bit more pleasant.

On topic here: My brother and his wife both own Land Rover Defenders- my bro hasn't worked in a location where he's needed it for nigh on four years yet he still has it. Why? Because he likes how easy they are to fix, they're fully capable of uprooting a tree given the chance (makes towing the caravan a breeze), and it copes exceptionally well on ice which is an added bonus.

Joe public will always think they're completely unnecessary vehicles but they won't be saying that when it's a Defender pulling them out of a ditch during a cold snap. Their reputation is quite secure in their niche. Ignore what silly students on here are saying and do what you want, the collective opinions of a small segment of society shouldn't matter to you OP.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
By pretty sure how sure are we? I've had my car in the garage being cleaned and sprigged up until its wayy under the limits of the carbon emission, also way under what it should be for the cars age!

Sorry but why would I contact my nearest Land Rover garage to make a donation? Firstly, I could easily do this by myself, secondly, they would take a cut, so why would I want to give them any more money than they already have?

Legal limit for the age of your car doesn't mean it's what it was 20 years ago.... being cleaned up or not. But good on you for doing so.

Oh I was just offering an avenue....... I couldn't care less what you did with your money.

Original post by Flibbles
Please don't preach your environmentalist dogma here, this is a motoring forum. Go to one of the debate forums on this very site instead. You will not gain any ground here.

I currently drive a diesel out of necessity, but given the chance I would drive a big, uneconomical V8. Why? Because it's fun, and because I have the right to spend my money however I choose. Life is too short to deny yourself things that make day-to-day life that little bit more pleasant.

THIS :smile:

Original post by JC.
When you have to restort to making personal remarks you've lost the argument.

THIS

Status? What status? Have you seen how cheap a used LR could be these days?
Do we even care?
Reply 56
ARRrRRRgH! I am ****ing sick Of people not READING threads and posting only on
The title. Yes mother_eve I'm talking to you. The sole point of this thread is that land rovers do not have status! They are classless but yes they are expensive to buy even an old one but that's not the point.

READ a the opening post and don't comment from the title!
Original post by Landie_Man
ARRrRRRgH! I am ****ing sick Of people not READING threads and posting only on
The title. Yes mother_eve I'm talking to you. The sole point of this thread is that land rovers do not have status! They are classless but yes they are expensive to buy even an old one but that's not the point.

READ a the opening post and don't comment from the title!

Why the need to make so many threads about a land rover? Are you really that paranoid over it? Or do you want to show off the fact that your car is bigger than other peoples cars?
Reply 58
I'm proud of my car. I just wanted opinions that's all. I don't care what other people think, and i try to help as the insurance is cheap.

Besides, a modern day fiesta weighs the same as a land rover because of all the gadgets and gizmos
Reply 59
everyone seems to have missed that defenders are some of the most awkward uncomfortable cars to sit in/drive, and the reason they are so easy to fix is that they break down all the time

but they look good, so each to their own.

Quick Reply

Latest