The Student Room Group

Summer jobs in healthcare?

Hi,

Does anyone have any good ideas for any work (voluntary is fine, nay, expected!) around the London area?

Ignoramus

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I joined a temp agency and got medical secretary work in a variety of hospital departments every summer for my first three years, just covering for sickness/maternity/holidays. Loads of people on here seem to do HCA bank work, just ask your local hospital's HR dept or check on their website if there are any vacancies.
Reply 2
Bank HCA! Can't sell it enough! Good pay too - near £15/hour on Sundays :teeth:
Reply 3
Original post by lekky
Bank HCA! Can't sell it enough! Good pay too - near £15/hour on Sundays :teeth:

Seconded. Professional arse wiping all the way.
Reply 4
Original post by Ignoramus
Hi,

Does anyone have any good ideas for any work (voluntary is fine, nay, expected!) around the London area?

Ignoramus

Army! 2k for a month.
Try and get a research project. If you get funding (easier than you think) you can get paid and it looks great on your CV.
Original post by No Future
Seconded. Professional arse wiping all the way.

Psych HCAing :yes: Professional babysitting, without the poop.
Reply 7
Original post by digitalis
Army! 2k for a month.

Doing what?
Reply 8
Original post by Becca-Sarah

Can't do it though. Only done a handfull of shifts so v limited experience.. but like, I can't hold people down to stop them running full pelt into the wall head first or hurting themselves/others in other ways as I have had to do on 2 of my shifts, It just leaves me emotionally drained :frown:
^ mostly only the intensive care mental health ward that requests bank staff here.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Army! 2k for a month.

how/what?

i'd quite like 2K!
Original post by Wangers
Doing what?

Sandhurst.

I did that for 6 months. There was plenty of ****. Often it was thrown straight at me.
Original post by Onychophagia
I did that for 6 months. There was plenty of ****. Often it was thrown straight at me.

This is what a colleague said to me. She left psych HCAing and went to elderly care HCAing because in psych HCAing she was chased, attacked, offered poop as a gift, poop thrown at her, poop hidden in the radiators.

Though it probably depends what sort of psych unit (maybe certain types are generally worse than others?) it is and the patients you get.

Whatever dept you're in, depends on the patients you get as to whether there's a lot of poop or not.
Reply 13
Sandhurst.

The so called vicers and tarts course? I had a look on the website, you have to do a officer selection board thing, either through the OTC - which also has selection, or TA. Dosn't sound like something you can just rustle up tbh. Also, fitness might be an issue :redface:
Original post by Wangers
The so called vicers and tarts course? I had a look on the website, you have to do a officer selection board thing, either through the OTC - which also has selection, or TA. Dosn't sound like something you can just rustle up tbh. Also, fitness might be an issue :redface:

Do TA, it's very doable as a med student. It's what I'm doing.

Four days, commissioning board over another two days, then four weeks training. Get paid for all of it!

Fitness isn't that arduous, you have to do 1.5m in 14 minutes when you join which is a pisstake really and be able to do it in 10 and a half minutes by the board. 44 pressups and 50 situps in two minutes.

Four days, commissioning board over another two days, then four weeks training. Get paid for all of it!

Fitness isn't that arduous, you have to do 1.5m in 14 minutes when you join which is a pisstake really and be able to do it in 10 and a half minutes by the board. 44 pressups and 50 situps in two minutes.

Ooh what is all this? Can you just do it as a one off or are you signing up for something?
Ooh what is all this? Can you just do it as a one off or are you signing up for something?

No, it's not a one off...it's like a 12 year contract that you can quit at any time without penalty. The TA is the reserve Army (49.5% of the Army Medical Services are from the TA)

You can join as a soldier at any time but can only be commissioned as a 2Lt in your 4th year. It's good fun, the training commitments are quite minimal really and they are a really nice, understanding bunch of people. Pay for all your transport and taxis there and back!

Please tell me there's an easier set of requirements for girls? :puppyeyes: I could possibly manage 1 pressup in two minutes...
Please tell me there's an easier set of requirements for girls? :puppyeyes: I could possibly manage 1 pressup in two minutes...

Yeah it's more time on the run (equiv to level 8.1 on a bleep test), 21 pressups in two mins and 50 situps in two mins.
Original post by Onychophagia

This is what a colleague said to me. She left psych HCAing and went to elderly care HCAing because in psych HCAing she was chased, attacked, offered poop as a gift, poop thrown at her, poop hidden in the radiators.

Though it probably depends what sort of psych unit (maybe certain types are generally worse than others?) it is and the patients you get.

Whatever dept you're in, depends on the patients you get as to whether there's a lot of poop or not.

I work in a long term psych (learning difficulty +/- forensic +/- adolescent drug problems when there are no beds left elsewhere) hospital and have never had poop thrown at me *touch wood* I've had a chair and a tv remote, though. And been chased. And hit. And kissed (would honestly have preferred another flying chair) But the frequency of those events is pretty minimal - I've been there 18 months and had each of those things happen maybe twice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending