The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kevmeister
Yet another reason for Wenger to not spend any money, eh? :awesome:

World class potential!!!111
Lol no Arsenal fan cares.

I admit to being wound up after your first leg against Barca, but my housemates were WUMing me to death. If anything I felt for Koscielny and Szczesny in the League Cup final.
Original post by In2deep
World class potential!!!111

As seen on physioroom.com. eh? :gah:
Original post by Nasri08
:rofl: Szczesny on twitter...

I love the way Bale just run 20 yards after the referee has given a foul... Should have been sent off. Don't you think @Persie_Official...?

This guy with Djourou and TV next year. So much for lacking leaders and having a weak ****ing spine.
Reply 8064
Original post by Psychotic546
This guy with Djourou and TV next year. So much for lacking leaders and having a weak ****ing spine.

Yup. Szczesny & Wilshere becoming first teamers best thing that has happened to us this season.
Original post by Nasri08
Frimpong is back, played 22 minutes for the reserves :yy:

Oh **** yeah, the future England captain is back :coma:
Reply 8066
Original post by Colonel.
Oh **** yeah, the future England captain is back :coma:

Don't tell that to the Ghanians :colone:.
Reply 8067
So you lot don't want a new keeper in the summer?
Reply 8068
JK.
OP
I do, I want a decent back up for Szcz, Almunia is clearly not good enough to fulfill even that role, I wouldn't be too bothered if we didn't buy as Fabianski started to show he was okay. But, seeing as keepers are best value (price wise) out of any position, it'd make sense spending no more than a couple of mil to bring in a pair of safe hands. :dontknow:
Reply 8069
Original post by L18
So you lot don't want a new keeper in the summer?

Nope. Unless Fabianski leaves. Then we'll need backup.
I would like a new keeper. A 20 year old probably shouldn't be starting for a supposed title challenging club with 6 months top league experience.
Reply 8071
How are people certain that Szcn is going to be no1 for next season. I've just got a sneaky feeling that Wenger will give it to Fab.
Anyways, with our injury record, I'd say we'll probably should buy a decent third choice.
Reply 8072
Original post by Hantheman

I would like a new keeper. A 20 year old probably shouldn't be starting for a supposed title challenging club with 6 months top league experience.

How do you think the top keepers get experience :lolwut:

Go and check how old Casillas was when he started. If you are good enough you are old enough tbh.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - if a keeper is good enough, it doesn't matter what his age is.

Look at keepers like Akinfeev, Asenjo, De Gea, Neuer, Adler, even Hart who have got into their respective first-teams at young ages and how well they've progressed.

Now is the perfect time for Szczesny to be No. 1 - he's been at the club nearly 5 years now and shown his ability at the highest level.

We certainly need decent backup though.
Original post by Mess.
How do you think the top keepers get experience :lolwut:

Go and check how old Casillas was when he started. If you are good enough you are old enough tbh.

There are always exceptions. But most train at slightly lower level, then make the step up. Look at De Gea, he's class, but he's had a few years to develop and get experience before what will amost certainly be a transfer to Man Utd's first team.

Szchez is a good keeper, but Arsenal aren't in a position to let mistakes concede too many goals considering how fragile our defence and confidence is anyway.
Reply 8075
Original post by Mess.

Original post by Mess.

Exactly :yy:

An even simpler "if you're good enough, you're old enough" example for an Arsenal fan this season is Wilshere. What does age matter if they are good.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8076

I have to agree. Your goalkeeper is one position you can't afford to take chances. Especially after this season, it should be blatantly obvious that you need a top keeper to win the title.

It'd be worth sacrificing the progress of Schzwhatshisname for a proper crack at silverware
So everyone here is saying they wouldn't take Reina (for example), who is proven class, if we could get him?
Reply 8078
JK.
OP
So everyone here is saying they wouldn't take Reina (for example), who is proven class, if we could get him?

Apart from anything else, it'd be a waste of money, other areas of the team need strengthening much more urgently.
If Reina wasn't going to cost us £25million or so, it might be worth it. However, as JK said, we need to strengthen other areas - up front and at centre-back.

Besides, there are better (and cheaper) goalkeeping options anyway.

Latest