The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Is Sheffield Hallam regarded as a good University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by torchwood
i object to the title of Mr Academic

yes, on tsr, those attending an expoly are not regarded as academic, this does not mean you're stupid, just not particularly intelligent :wink:

Not intelligent? absoloutly glad i wont be attending the same university as tossers like you.
i can easily get onto a Maths degree or something more "academic" or "intelligent", infact i actually did consider that at first when choosing what to study, but im choosing to do i degree related to my career choice. Seriously, just because youve chose to go to a university asking for a few higher grades does not in ANY way make you better than anyone, and if you carry on with that snotty attitude in life, your not going to have many fans...
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by kbountra
Are you starting 5 year Dentistry having already got a degree from Warwick? I was thinking of putting down Warwick as my firm but found that although it is a top university, some of the departments are significantly weaker than others. I understand it is excellent for Maths/Economics.

i did chemistry for a term and didn't really like the course, i basically got sick of doing lab reports. i then reapplied for dentistry

its awesome for maths, accounting, economics, MORSE etc

i think the physics department is also quite good
i did chemistry for a term and didn't really like the course, i basically got sick of doing lab reports. i then reapplied for dentistry

its awesome for maths, accounting, economics, MORSE etc

i think the physics department is also quite good

Yeah that's what I thought- I was going to do Biochemistry there but the department was a bit 'meh' so I ended up going with Sheffield (uni...not Hallam :tongue:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by hollypopz92
Not intelligent? absoloutly glad i wont be attending the same university as tossers like you.
i can easily get onto a Maths degree or something more "academic" or "intelligent", infact i actually did consider that at first when choosing what to study, but im choosing to do i degree related to my career choice. Seriously, just because youve chose to go to a university asking for a few higher grades does not in ANY way make you better than anyone, and if you carry on with that snotty attitude in life, your not going to have many fans...

Out of interest what is your career choice?

I went to Hallam and had dealing with the Film and Media departments. The Film department is excellent with good lecturing standards. The media department are however utterly useless and I could not recommend a media related course because of this.
I don't like university snobbery but it also pisses me off when people try and say a university like Sheffield Hallam is in anyway as good as somewhere such as University of Sheffield. Face the fact, if you were going to get straight A's you wouldn't be applying to somewhere such as Man Met or SHU, you know you wouldn't.
Reply 65
Original post by tommydeaks
I can't believe you've just said that... Explain to me how media is more relevant to real life that maths is?

I think he's actually right, pretty much all of the maths stuff useful in real life is covered in high school.

For example here are the Media modules at Sheffield Hallam: http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/765/content/, those ones will most likely prove useful in real life:
professional writing and practice
communication at work
applied photography
writing the news
work-based learning: professional communication 1
convergent journalism
web design in context

Now lets compare the Maths modules covered at Imperial, http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/mathematics/mathscourses. From all of those maybe Probability and Statistics and Financial Maths can somehow be related to real life (and probably only the most basic concepts would be useful), all the other things are job-specific.
I think the question you should be asking is,

*What is the point in studying media?
Original post by freefrag
I think he's actually right, pretty much all of the maths stuff useful in real life is covered in high school.

For example here are the Media modules at Sheffield Hallam: http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/765/content/, those ones will most likely prove useful in real life:
professional writing and practice
communication at work
applied photography
writing the news
work-based learning: professional communication 1
convergent journalism
web design in context

Now lets compare the Maths modules covered at Imperial, http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/mathematics/mathscourses. From all of those maybe Probability and Statistics and Financial Maths can somehow be related to real life (and probably only the most basic concepts would be useful), all the other things are job-specific.

you aren't going to university to apply what you learn to "real life" though are you - it's obviously going to be job specific...
Reply 68
you aren't going to university to apply what you learn to "real life" though are you - it's obviously going to be job specific...

But that doesn't change the fact that Media is a lot more relevant in real-life, then Maths and if you're studying a subject that doesn't have an abundance of jobs, it's nice if some of the skills you learn can be related to real life and non subject-specific jobs.
Reply 69
I don't like university snobbery but it also pisses me off when people try and say a university like Sheffield Hallam is in anyway as good as somewhere such as University of Sheffield. Face the fact, if you were going to get straight A's you wouldn't be applying to somewhere such as Man Met or SHU, you know you wouldn't.

I got AAA at A Level and I'm going to Hallam... I also applied to Manchester Met.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by Smophy
So so so many snobs on TSR!!

Sheff Hallam is a decent uni. It isn't the best but no way is it he worst.

And as for those who say there is a better uni in the same city. Yes you are right. Yet unless your a snob like all these people on here you will be better at Hallam. Sheff uni is rather stuck up its own arse where as Sheff hallam is happy, down to earth, nice place to be.

Sounds more like you are stuck up your own arse.
Reply 71
Original post by _Mazza_
I got AAA at A Level and I'm going to Hallam...

but were they 'academically rigorous' or 'soft' alevels?
Yeh, you're bound to get a rather one-sided view on this forum.

For what it's worth, my dad studied at Sheffield Hallam. He didn't end up too badly off at all.
Reply 73
Original post by Linweth
Sounds more like you are stuck up your own arse.

I agree.

Both unis have pros and cons, and it entirely depends on what you want to study. I know that the Hallam Biomedical Science course is accredited and has fantastic job prospects and links with industry, but for a more traditional course such as English, I'd probably opt for The University of Sheffield.
Reply 74
but were they 'academically rigorous' or 'soft' alevels?

I'd say Maths, Biology and Statistics are pretty respected as far as A Levels go.
Reply 75
Original post by TurboCretin
Yeh, you're bound to get a rather one-sided view on this forum.

For what it's worth, my dad studied at Sheffield Hallam. He didn't end up too badly off at all.

what is the one-sided view? its a fact that sheffield uni is better than hallam

youve put a very vague statement, what subject did he study, what job is he doing, how difficult was it for him to get there. Also 'didnt end up too badly off' is very relative
Reply 76
Original post by _Mazza_
I'd say Maths, Biology and Statistics are pretty respected as far as A Levels go.

im not sure about stats but maths and biology are not soft alevels, why do you want to go to hallam?

what course have you applied for?
what is the one-sided view? its a fact that sheffield uni is better than hallam

youve put a very vague statement, what subject did he study, what job is he doing, how difficult was it for him to get there. Also 'didnt end up too badly off' is very relative

The OP never said anything about Sheffield. He asked whether Sheffield Hallam is good or not. People on TSR are bound to slate it, so I thought I'd say something positive.

Well off enough that he could live in South Bucks, drive a Mercedes and send me to public school. I didn't want to be a nob about it, but there you are. He studied Urban Land Economics and is now a Chartered Surveyor. He reached the board of directors in the last company he worked for. Granted, he worked hard to get there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 78
im not sure about stats but maths and biology are not soft alevels, why do you want to go to hallam?

what course have you applied for?

Well I appreciate it may not be as rigorous as Maths and Biology and the other sciences, but it's by no means a soft A Level, with regards to university entry.

I studied Economics at York, and didn't like the course and decided I wanted to be a Physiotherapist. I chose Hallam because the facilities for my course are brand new and it is regarded as one of the top courses in the country, also there is a lot of hospitals within the area, and hopefully going on placement in the area will give me an advantage when applying for jobs when I graduate.
haha, i can't believe this js even a question!

ill try to say this in the nicest possible way:
you're applying to a expoly, obviously its crap!

to study maths you need a calculator, to study chemistry you need a periodic table and to study media you need heat magazine :wink:

You got rejected from Sheffield.

Says enough bout you dont it? Scrub.

You're a dentist too...LOL!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending