The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by silent ninja

So who's got the Xperia Arc? It's looking hot. I'm think it might be the one. I need to check it out in person. I don't think I'd be able to afford an all out high-end phone like the SGS2 cos it's gonna be over £500 and I'm one that likes to buy SIM free. The Arc will be around £100 cheaper, maybe more.

I saw it and love the design. I would get one but A) It isn't coming to my carrier and B) The next phone I get is going to be at least dual core; the Arc isn't that much better than the N1 to warrant an upgrade IMO.
Original post by Young Spade
I saw it and love the design. I would get one but A) It isn't coming to my carrier and B) The next phone I get is going to be at least dual core; the Arc isn't that much better than the N1 to warrant an upgrade IMO.

Probably not enough to warrant an upgrade, but it will be significantly cheaper than the dual core phones and secondly, dual core-utilising apps are pretty far off. It won't be the norm until 2012 I imagine so performance-wise, beyond gaming, I see there being little advantage in a dual core phone. Both the recent Incredible S and Xperia Arc are single cores and no review suggests slow down in media or general operation. They are blisteringly quick.

So yeah, I think I'd go for a dual core but only at a comparable price because I don't think the extra bucks is worth it. Just my opinion.
(edited 13 years ago)

Probably not enough to warrant an upgrade, but it will be significantly cheaper than the dual core phones and secondly, dual core-utilising apps are pretty far off. It won't be the norm until 2012 I imagine so performance-wise, beyond gaming, I see there being little advantage in a dual core phone. Both the recent Incredible S and Xperia Arc are single cores and no review suggests slow down in media or general operation. They are blisteringly quick.

So yeah, I think I'd go for a dual core but only at a comparable price because I don't think the extra bucks is worth it. Just my opinion.

Damn right; that's what I say ove in the XDA forums and why i took the Atrix back. Yes it was fast but it wasn't that much faster than my Nexus 1. Also having a locked bootloader along with a body design that I don't like.... I love my N1 a lot more.

But yea, if you aren't going to be purchasing a dual core or beyond this year, the Arc is a great phone.

I'm personally waiting for the Galaxy S 2 to see how that holds up; I had the first galaxy s and loved it; just sold it though.
This news story lends even further credence to Sony Ericsson being the way forward. Who would have thought?
Just joined the rank and file of Android users with my new Desire S. First question to more veteran users - how to get rid of the bloatware? There's a lot of stuff on it like Amazon MP3 which I'm simply never going to use, and the delete button seems to be greyed out.
Original post by FyreFight
Just joined the rank and file of Android users with my new Desire S. First question to more veteran users - how to get rid of the bloatware? There's a lot of stuff on it like Amazon MP3 which I'm simply never going to use, and the delete button seems to be greyed out.

You can't, yet.

Keep an eye out here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1033

As and when it happens, they'll know. :smile: You need root as a minimum for what you're trying to do.
Original post by mikeyd85

Original post by mikeyd85
This news story lends even further credence to Sony Ericsson being the way forward. Who would have thought?

Sony really do need to be commended for that
Original post by ~style
This could become a society at this rate :p:

So HTC has 3 phones so far - Magic, Dream and Hero. Anything else?

Sony Ericsson also seem to be releasing an Xperia 3 operating the android OS.

Samsung have the Galaxy.

I heard Motorola have one in the making also.

Also the Hawaii.

Then there are the rumoured Dell and Archos devices/phones.

Add to that Asus and Lenovo, whatever they are planning to make with android.

Ok that's off the top of my head, anything else?

motorola already have an android phone
the defy
htc is releasing the htc desire s that has android 2.3
and also the galaxy 2 which looks like an iphone4
Original post by hahaff
motorola already have an android phone
the defy
htc is releasing the htc desire s that has android 2.3
and also the galaxy 2 which looks like an iphone4

There are far too many Android phones for us to try keep up with.
The SGS2 is apparenrly being delayed in order to upgrade to 1.2ghz dual core in place of the 1ghz. The battery on this thing is gonna suck. Why not address that instead of a pointless upgrade?
The SGS2 is apparenrly being delayed in order to upgrade to 1.2ghz dual core in place of the 1ghz. The battery on this thing is gonna suck. Why not address that instead of a pointless upgrade?

Hear, hear.
Reply 4571
AFter nearly a year, my phone (Desire) is geting considerably slower, and has been crashing in the last month when it never used to crash at all.

It's quite frustrating tbh, force quitting most apps I use most, especially social mediums.

Any tips to increase the efficiency of the OS? Or having had it for this long, was this to be expected?
I'm looking to sell my iPhone 4 and buy my first Android handset in place of it, but the pace at which manufacturers are bringing out dual-core phones in Europe is getting a bit annoying. America's had the Atrix for a bit now, and we won't get it for months. The Galaxy S II, again, doesn't look like it'll arrive for a while, and HTC's dual-core offerings look to be even further off.
Reply 4573
Original post by Lizzzle
AFter nearly a year, my phone (Desire) is geting considerably slower, and has been crashing in the last month when it never used to crash at all.

It's quite frustrating tbh, force quitting most apps I use most, especially social mediums.

Any tips to increase the efficiency of the OS? Or having had it for this long, was this to be expected?

Do a full wipe of your phone, and re-install only the apps that you need
Reply 4574
Original post by Dijipo
Do a full wipe of your phone, and re-install only the apps that you need

Thanks, will do!
:biggrin:

I'm not so sure about that. 1600+mah? Dual core phones are more efficient than single cored phones. Aside from the larger screen, more ram, and higher specs, the dual core should give it a 1 up in terms of battery life.

Of course when you start stressing those cores the battery will drop, but then again, there are hardly any programs or apps out that can do this.
Original post by Young Spade
I'm not so sure about that. 1600+mah? Dual core phones are more efficient than single cored phones. Aside from the larger screen, more ram, and higher specs, the dual core should give it a 1 up in terms of battery life.

Of course when you start stressing those cores the battery will drop, but then again, there are hardly any programs or apps out that can do this.

That's the theory but with such a large screen I don't expect the battery to be anything beyond average. The Atrix has a smaller screen and a similar battery (didnt you have one?), but seems to have pretty mixed reviews on the battery front. The new screen is supposed to be more efficient too so you may have a point. A phone like this ideally needs to be built for heavy usage.

The more powerful processor will kill the battery marginally quicker I expect as well. The extra cost will be passed on?
Ah well, pointless upgrade. They're playing the numbers game. Let's see if the package comes together.
(edited 13 years ago)

That's the theory but with such a large screen I don't expect the battery to be anything beyond average. The Atrix has a smaller screen and a similar battery (didnt you have one?), but seems to have pretty mixed reviews on the battery front. The new screen is supposed to be more efficient too so you may have a point. A phone like this ideally needs to be built for heavy usage.

The more powerful processor will kill the battery marginally quicker I expect as well. The extra cost will be passed on?
Ah well, pointless upgrade. They're playing the numbers game. Let's see if the package comes together.

I did have an Atrix, you're right; like all phones, battery life varied depending on what you did witht he phone and how long you had the screen on. If I use my Nexus one as I did with my Atrix, I can easily last a day, more if I push it. Doing things like disabling the data connection all together while in class, disabling background data until I'm sitting down ready to read the information, and proper task management, I can easily pull a whole day here at school and go back to my room with over 20% left.

But as you stated, they are playing the numbers game, and Moto did that as well with the Atrix, which is why I took that phone back. On paper the phone was great and it was amazingly fast, but when I actually used it for my main phone, I didn't like the screen and the design just wasn't' there. A hard to reach power button and the fact that I had to pick it up to turn it on? No thanks.

It's all a numbers game, if HTC are releasing 1.2ghz they can't come out with 1ghz, it makes them seem behind the curb. In terms of battery I think HTC are making the choice of having a better design. The aluminmum makes the phone heavier so does the battery, can't have bigger battery and aluminium to, the phone would just way to much. I'm weary of the HTC Pyramid, a dual core and a 4.3 inch screen sound like its going to have worse battery time than my Desire HD, and the battery on this is generally crappy.
Original post by Addzter
I'm looking to sell my iPhone 4 and buy my first Android handset in place of it, but the pace at which manufacturers are bringing out dual-core phones in Europe is getting a bit annoying. America's had the Atrix for a bit now, and we won't get it for months. The Galaxy S II, again, doesn't look like it'll arrive for a while, and HTC's dual-core offerings look to be even further off.

Actually HTC seem to be right in the middle of it, the HTC pyramid is apparently being launched on 13th April. 1.2ghz Dual core + 4.3ghz screen.
Original post by yoyo462001

Actually HTC seem to be right in the middle of it, the HTC pyramid is apparently being launched on 13th April. 1.2ghz Dual core + 4.3ghz screen.

Yeah, launched, but according to Engadget it's not going to be on sale for a few months now. Although the Pyramid does look amazing, and I'll probably get it if it doesn't have the DHD's poor battery issues.

Latest

Trending

Trending