The Student Room Group

Do you predict WW3 to happen in our lifetime?

I was asked this question today and was unable to respond as I know absolutely nothing about politics. How likely is it that WW3 happens when we're still alive? Maybe in the next 60 years? If it were to happen, what would be the cause and would it annihilate all life on Earth as nuclear proliferation is increasing globally?

Einstein's quote is striking "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones".

Scroll to see replies

unfortunately yes......

and it will be the longest and darkest day in all of mankind's history.....
Reply 2
ww3 won't be anything like the others though, some would say its happening at the moment in countries such as iraq and afghanistan
the chances of seeing countries like the US, UK, russia, any europe and even china fighting against each other is extremely slim
only serious threat is if arab countries form an alliance, although since most trade and weapons come from western countries, and we tend to keep their dictators on our side it is unlikely, or north korea
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
No one can possibly predict what political events will take place over the next century so it is an impossible question to answer
Reply 4
I really don't think it will, because I'm not a sensationalist fool.
2012!

was a terrible movie!
No. The global economy is too connected.
If there's a WW3 there will only be one ultimate victor: Chuck Norris.
Original post by Warrior King
If there's a WW3 there will only be one ultimate victor: Chuck Norris.

No no no, it will be Mr. Rogers.
Reply 9
Hell yeah!

If we haven't had a WW3 by 2030, I'll start one.
I don't know!
I wonder if anything will ever be discovered that will limit the effect of nuclear weapons?
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
No no no, it will be Mr. Rogers.

Who is he?
Reply 12
Original post by ihatebrownbread
I don't know!
I wonder if anything will ever be discovered that will limit the effect of nuclear weapons?

Alien technology
Original post by concubine
I really don't think it will, because I'm not a sensationalist fool.

You say that, but looking at past events it is unlikely that there won't be a large war in our lifetimes. Most of us will die around 2070. 60 years is a long time in regards to human history, I'm not a sensationalist either, but there will be some huge issues in that time. i.e. water shortages and oil running out.
Reply 14
Original post by I'm clever

Original post by I'm clever
I was asked this question today and was unable to respond as I know absolutely nothing about politics. How likely is it that WW3 happens when we're still alive? Maybe in the next 60 years? If it were to happen, what would be the cause and would it annihilate all life on Earth as nuclear proliferation is increasing globally?

Einstein's quote is striking "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones".

Nope. the answer is world war 5!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you forget ...Peter Griffin's quote from Family Guy????..."World five is so intense it skips WW3 & WW4...!!!!.....hehhehehheee"
Reply 15
I think proxy wars are more likely. Maybe with the Chinese backing one country the "west" backing another. Say middle Eastern countries. China/Iran. America/ Saudi Arabia.

Direct war between any of the top 5 economies would likely cripple everyone
Original post by Aj12
Direct war between any of the top 5 economies would likely cripple everyone

Exactly. We will not have sufficiently depleted resources within our lifetimes (unless you're one of those ridiculously optimistic types that thinks that the first people to live to 1,000 are already alive) to make the costs involved with a major war worthwhile in any way.

I'd bet more money on someone advancing far enough in fusion technologies for us to begin contemplating using it within our lifetimes than I would that we're gonna have anything like a world war.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't think so. Not on a huge scale, because of the principle of Mutually Assured Destruction. Were we to go to a World War, it'd surely be catastrophically awful for humanity (and over extremely fast...)
Reply 18
Maybe a bunch of spies spying on each others countries. That is all.
Reply 19
One of these things we can't really predict. Maybe the Cold War counts as World War III but War... War always changes. The Formats of World War 1 and World War 2 were only given brief previews in South Africa and Manchuria respectively, I doubt we'll know how the next World War will be waged until afterwards.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending