The Student Room Group

COMP4 - What have you done?

I just put together my first draft of my work and it came to around 450 pages thats including code and everything.

My system is a shop management.

Anyone else want to share what they did?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
450 pages. Thats crazy?! I've just put together my coding and pulled out about 26 pages? aha
My system was management for a Cleaning business
Reply 2
Original post by xaaroncx
450 pages. Thats crazy?! I've just put together my coding and pulled out about 26 pages? aha
My system was management for a Cleaning business

What about inc your work and everything else?

What language?
Reply 3
Dude 450 pages? I'm sorry, but I'd have to see that to believe it!

I have done around 50 pages, that's including all my client documents, deliverable etc.
Reply 4
Original post by ChrisJeval
Dude 450 pages? I'm sorry, but I'd have to see that to believe it!

I have done around 50 pages, that's including all my client documents, deliverable etc.

Chris... this is COMP4 (isn't that computing unit 4?) we're doing INFO4 I think D:
Reply 5
Original post by Kaskade
Chris... this is COMP4 (isn't that computing unit 4?) we're doing INFO4 I think D:

..... "face desk" oops :colondollar:
Reply 6
..... "face desk" oops :colondollar:

Heh. easily done... Though if you carry on Computing next year you'll be doing this.
Reply 7
Yeah, it's Computing Unit 4. (I'm not going to post my coursework here just to prove my work lol.)
Reply 8
Original post by User12399
Yeah, it's Computing Unit 4. (I'm not going to post my coursework here just to prove my work lol.)

I wouldn't expect you to :smile: So what is it you have to do in computing unit 4? Do you code your own system?
Reply 9
I wouldn't expect you to :smile: So what is it you have to do in computing unit 4? Do you code your own system?

Yep you code any system you want but has to be complex for an A.

You do analysis, design, implement, user manual, maintenance manual and then appraisal.
Reply 10
If you don't get an A and you've done 450 pages then you have done something severely wrong. You can probably get an A with 100 pages, so maybe you have done more than enough of some aspects?
Reply 11
Original post by simstar
If you don't get an A and you've done 450 pages then you have done something severely wrong. You can probably get an A with 100 pages, so maybe you have done more than enough of some aspects?

I got an A, found out today. :P

Apparently when my teacher went to the AQA Computing Meetings thing they showed courseworks and he said some of them were over 500 pages but most of it was code.
Reply 12
I gave in my code today and was told I should expect to be in the "top band" (17/18/19/20) out of 20. My code was around 50 pages in total. So far I have done analysis, design and the coding coming to about 100 pages in total. Still a few sections to go. Language is vb.NET by the way
Reply 13
Original post by GameuK
I gave in my code today and was told I should expect to be in the "top band" (17/18/19/20) out of 20. My code was around 50 pages in total. So far I have done analysis, design and the coding coming to about 100 pages in total. Still a few sections to go. Language is vb.NET by the way

It all depends on language. Mine is PHP and SQL so it will be longer.

What does your program do?
Reply 14
Original post by User12399
It all depends on language. Mine is PHP and SQL so it will be longer.

What does your program do?

Its a solution for a self-employed carpenter, a database really but its made with random access files rather than SQL. Holds Contractors, Jobs, Timesheets and Expenses and allows the user to create invoices and reports both of past and present jobs. There were some people in my class handing in 7 pages so I hope its pretty substantial. I wasn't even aware you were able to do some of the simulation or design projects some people have done
Reply 15
I'm just finishing my first year of computing. Info 4 sounds like hard work, but it's something that I enjoy. So would you guys recommend it?
Reply 16
I'm just finishing my first year of computing. Info 4 sounds like hard work, but it's something that I enjoy. So would you guys recommend it?

I think Info4 is on the ICT course? This is COMP4. But yes, I would recommend it if you enjoy programming. The analysis and design sections are a bit tedious but once you can jump into coding its great. I must have spend 80-odd hours programming and am pretty sad for enjoying it. So if you enjoy pratical programming as oppose to theory then go for it
Reply 17
Original post by GameuK
I think Info4 is on the ICT course? This is COMP4. But yes, I would recommend it if you enjoy programming. The analysis and design sections are a bit tedious but once you can jump into coding its great. I must have spend 80-odd hours programming and am pretty sad for enjoying it. So if you enjoy pratical programming as oppose to theory then go for it

Yer I ment COMP4 :smile: I might go for it then, I love programing and could spend hours on it also :smile:
Reply 18
The coding is fun but the writing up and stuff is long winded and boring. But yes if you are programming guy go for it.
Reply 19
I've done a guitar training platform (:
It tests the user to establish what their current skill levels are, and then devises a practice routine for them based on this current level and how much time they can spend practising. Of course it includes all the over stuff like a tuner, a metronome, and a library of music theory lessons too. I've been ill lately, so I'm rushing to catch up now, only just finishing testing! I've done my user's manual though, currently about 80 pages so far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending