The Student Room Group

Visited a friend at uni and was treated like **** [long rant]

I just got back from a long weekend of seeing one of my "friends" at university - she was a bitch the whole time and I'm never talking to her again.

I'll preface this with a bit of background: we've been friends since the beginning of secondary school and kept in touch, met up and stuff despite doing different courses, so we've made an effort for eachother. Ever since she left for university in September (Northampton, History, for those wondering) she's been begging me to come up and see her.

Last week she asked if I could "please come up and see [her] this weekend (2nd/3rd April)". I said yes, booked the tickets (~90 pounds), booked some time off work and went up to visit her on Saturday.

On the Friday night before I left she texted me and asked if I could bring her some fairy liquid, as she had ran out. I was immediately offended, as you know, washing liquid is cheap as chips and I'm coming to see her as a guest, not as her Mum to bring her supplies. Nonetheless I packed some of the stuff and took it up with me. (Oh, and she didn't say thank you for it).

I got on the train and went up to see her on Saturday, and was concerned about where to meet her once I got there. She originally told me to meet her in town, but as I had never been to Northampton in my life I asked her to meet me in the station off the train. She didn't, instead leaving me to flip my **** when I got out the place without finding her.

She finally showed up and we got home, no problems there. We dumped our stuff, got ready to go out and hit the town. We went into this amazing club called Embargos with one of her friends, and we were having a good time. About halfway through the night, she sits down in a corner and refuses to get up and dance anymore, simply claiming that it "wasn't [her] scene". I felt awkward leaving her there so I sat down too. As she said she was skint, I bought her drinks all night too.

Actually this is taking too long to go through everything so I'll bullet point.

After that;

- Refused to go for a walk or anything the next day, saying she was too tired.
- Didn't have enough food in her flat for her, let alone both of us. Initially refused to take me to Asda because she was skint.
- Seemingly expected me to sit in her flat doing nothing for hours on end.
- Had no clean towels, no milk or bread, no hairdryer, basic things. I had to use a handtowel she had used about 4 or 5 times because she said she was too skint to do laundry... although she could afford to handwash a dress for going out on Monday night. Funny, that.
- Had us sit in her flat for about 3 hours on Monday night waiting for her friends to come over, despite them just being a short walk over at the Student Union. I suggested we go meet them there, she said she couldn't be bothered to walk.
- Left me alone at the club we went to on Monday with her bag and her shoes while she snogged a random boy outside.
- Suggested that I cheat on my boyfriend with one of said boy's friends.
- Told me to move my lilo when I wanted a short nap on Tuesday afternoon so she could use the computer.
- Refused to let me **** off to a Travelodge.

All in all I had a pretty ****ty time despite tolerating her and trying to be fun, and I'll never talk to her again.

tl;dr: **** friend at a **** uni in a **** town. **** trip.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
She sounds like a right ****.

e: Who the heck negged the OP? Basically her friend said "hey, come up and sit in my flat for the weekend, do what I want and give me money - that ok?" - have some +ve to cancel out that neg.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
She sounds like a right slut... is she fit?
Sounds like your friendship is History.

I'm sorry to see you had a bad time, just in the future wait until she makes the effort, or just leave it. It'd be a shame to throw it away as you've been friends for ages, just don't make the same mistakes again:smile:.
Reply 4
yeah i hate when people as me to bring them some cheap washing liquid...
Reply 5
Live and learn :biggrin:
You were offended she asked you to bring some fairy liquid?
Completely unrelated, but Embargos in Northampton is noooot an amazing club, unless you go on Tuesdays.

On topic, sounds like a **** weekend, depending on how much you value her friendship you either talk to her honestly about it with some distance from it actually happening (for perspective for both of you) or just don't bother with her again.
Reply 8
GOOD NEWS! Not being at the same Uni, you no longer have to care.

Forget her and move on with your real friends.
your friend is better than you. what can you do?
What a dick.
Reply 11
you were offended she asked you to bring washing up liquid? seriously?
Stopped reading at fairy liquid
Unlucky... I hope my friends don't turn out like this when they go university :/
Eh, forget about her. Yeah, it's annoying, but now you know.

Also.. offended because you had to buy her washing up liquid? Paying a quid to have clean dishes to eat from isn't that much of a big deal.
Personally, I wouldn't have taken offence at the whole fairy liquid situation, it may be cheap as chips, but I would have assumped she was saving that money to go towards a fabulous weekend she had planned for the two of you!

BUT, the way she treated you was awful - has she apologised at all, for anything? She's clearly not a good friend, no decent friend would suggest you cheat on your boyfriend, and the fact she asked you to pay for stuff, without offering to pay you back as soon as possible indicates that she doesn't value your friendship - let her sit up there on her high horse and you move on. She'll eventually realise she has to treat the people around her right, otherwise she'll end up alone and skint.

I think you will just have to accept it's over, and move on - like a bad break-up. And yes, it will be tough at first, but I'm sure you'll find someone else who values your friendship as much as you value theirs :smile:

Good Luck, xx
Thats mean the way she treated you. You should tell her how you feel about the way she treated you or just forget about her . Friends shouldn't treat their friends like this she invited you over then told you she had no money and expected you to pay for everything thats so rude.
I find it funny when girls rant about stuff like this. It's like you're saying it in one breath.

You may have a point but it's still funny. Fairy liquid? haha

:getmecoat:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
sounds like my sister.
Reply 19
It only takes that to knock your friendship? Tell her how the weekend made you feel, not TSR. If you were really good friends, you would want to make it work. Yes, she has been a complete bitch, but it's time you were the bigger man (or woman :awesome:).
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending