The Student Room Group

Did you fill in your census form?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by GwrxVurfer
Why do you have this silly idea that's it's any of your business whether other people answer the questions?

Are you a census compliance officer who is annoyed that many houses are refusing to obey your demands? Maybe that is an indication of something - that your demands were unreasonable.

Take your hysterics elsewhere.

Because im walking around everyday collecting them from peoples houses! So why dont you take your misguided comment and shove it where the sun doesnt shine.
Reply 101
Original post by Bosch
Thankyou for posting this, put it better than I ever could!
Also +1 rep

Thankyou :smile: I keep seeing people say stuff about "ohh the government are being nosey" etcetc, when actually theyre not at all! i was trying really hard to not say something but i just couldnt help it anymore :biggrin: hahaha!
Reply 102
Original post by gwrxvurfer
remember that you aren't the one defining "nothing to hide".

What happens if what you believe is "nothing to hide" conflicts with what the government believe is "nothing to hide"?

its not run by the bloody government!!!!!!!
My parents filled in mine because I'm living in Italy atm.
They wanted to put that I was white British, when I'm very far from.
Reply 104
People like you deserve little respect. You want people to obey YOUR demands for them to complete the census, and you have a worrying tendency to inform the regime on those who don't.

If you had an ounce of common sense, you'd maybe pause to consider -"Hmm...there seems to be a large number of individuals not obeying my order. Instead of everyone else being wrong, and me being right, perhaps there is a slight possibility that I am the one being unreasonable".

By the way - Let's hope that you don't get sent round to my house :wink:

If you refuse the first and only warning to leave, you are deemed an intruder, and I may use "reasonable force" to defend myself from your attack.

Im not making anyone obey anything! Im a collector, not a non-compliance officer. Im merely going to houses and asking to collect it from them and the number of people that i visit have just forgotten to post it! so i think it is just you, who seems to have a problem with a census that has been running since 1801. So dont accuse me of having no common sense when at the end of the day, the census is important to ensuring money is put in the right places and not assisting in doing so is silly! I also think your mild threat is ludicrous but also inappropriate so please refrain from replying again as threats from someone on a forum do not get me 'quaking in my boots'.
No, but i'm getting pissed off with the ads on radio about it! :smile:
Reply 106
Original post by ahoward
Because im walking around everyday collecting them from peoples houses! So why dont you take your misguided comment and shove it where the sun doesnt shine.

well, i'd say thats part of your job, deal with it
i don't sign up for a retail job then complain about customers asking for discounts, its part of the job
theres nothing special about your job, its basically a paper round

oh and ur other comment said its not run by the government? it basically is, they still designed it and everything, they just outsource the publishing, distribution, collection and analysing
(edited 12 years ago)
So you (a tresspasser) physically attack me, I defend myself, and I'm the one who's being mildly threatening?

Laughable.....

If you initiate an attack, the victim is entitled to use reasonable force to defend themselves. The law says this, common sense says this, the public says this. You are the only one who seems to disagree.

"refrain from replying again"? - On a defensive stance now I see.

So him asking you to fill out a questionairre of pretty benign questions constitues an attack? He's not going to cave your head in if you say youre not going to fill it in. And you want the right to own guns in the UK? I feel sorry for the mormons.
Reply 108
By the way - Let's hope that you don't get sent round to my house

If you refuse the first and only warning to leave, you are deemed an intruder, and I may use "reasonable force" to defend myself from your attack.

I can see the headline now "Homeowner cries and slaps a census collecter - Census collecter left confused"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 109
Original post by f00ddude
well, i'd say thats part of your job, deal with it
i don't sign up for a retail job then complain about customers asking for discounts, its part of the job
theres nothing special about your job, its basically a paper round

oh and ur other comment said its not run by the government? it basically is, they still designed it and everything, they just outsource the publishing, distribution, collection and analysing

Im not complaining, its actually a really nice job to do, i was just stating that it would be easier if more people had done it, same as you would say it would be easier doing a retail job if less people returned items or complained about items?
And parliament had to approve the census questions, but it was the ONS that sourced them:

Testing: The 2011 Census questions were tested and rehearsed to ensure the questions were understood by, and acceptable to, the general public and would generate the statistics users require.

Legal approval: The final content of the questionnaires for England and Wales and for Northern Ireland was approved by the UK Parliament, the Welsh Assembly and the Northern Ireland Assembly, through separate Census Orders and Census Regulations.

So you (a tresspasser) physically attack me, I defend myself, and I'm the one who's being mildly threatening? Wow....

If you initiate an attack, the victim is entitled to use reasonable force to defend themselves. The law says this, common sense says this, the public says this. You are the only one who seems to disagree.

In clear terms: If you became violent towards me, I would use reasonable force to defend myself against you. If you think that this is a "mild threat", then you need to get real.

"refrain from replying again"? - On a defensive stance now I see.

At what point was i EVER physically attacking you?! i dont actually understand how that has even remotely come into conversation when all i said i was responsible for was collecting questionnaires :s-smilie:
Reply 110
Original post by ahoward
At what point was i EVER physically attacking you?! i dont actually understand how that has even remotely come into conversation when all i said i was responsible for was collecting questionnaires :s-smilie:

I think he's just showing off how much of a hard-man he is, bless him.
He would probably be too scared to answer the door haha
Reply 111
I mentioned it right at the start - "defend myself from your attack"

You can understand why I would be at best, suspicious of you. If you continued trespassing, and gave some hysterical rant about why I should fill in your census, I have to think "Is this aggressive individual committing trespass going to attack me at any point".

Census collecters ask you for your census, if you refuse, they leave, you are the only hysterical one, lashing out in a fury of girly slaps at a census collecter is just going to show how stupid and pathetic you are
I didn't receive a form and can't be arsed to order one. Is someone going to visit at some point and hand me one?
Reply 113
I mentioned it right at the start - "defend myself from your attack"

You can understand why I would be at best, suspicious of you. If you continued trespassing, and gave some hysterical rant about why I should fill in your census, I have to think "Is this aggressive individual committing trespass going to attack me at any point".

Yes i know but i dont understand why it was brought up, why would we attack you for not doing your census? its not like we care if you get fined £1000, we're essentially making it easier for elderly people who have struggled to get out to post it, or people who have forgotten etcetc. If someone refuses im not going to hysterically rant at them, ill let them say their piece, thank them for their time and carry on, and not go back again. And its not trespassing if you knock on the door and they answer it and begin conversation, it would be if they told me to go away and i didnt, but as i have already stated, im hardly going to stand there wasting my time if someone doesnt want to do it. It baffles me that you think we're going to put ourselves at risk by trying to convince someone who doesnt want to do it...there's more chance of someone getting sh*tty with us than us with them dont you think?
Reply 114
Original post by Bosch
I think he's just showing off how much of a hard-man he is, bless him.
He would probably be too scared to answer the door haha

Im just generally baffled as to why ive suddenly become aggressive? i only want to collect a form :frown: haha! and if he really was scared to open the door to me id be very surprised! the amount of offers of tea and biscuits ive had is extraordinary!! haha! And realistically, the rubbish he's throwing at me is hardly going to make me quit...the pay is too good! and its like a free gym! haha!
Reply 115
Original post by Tesphena
I didn't receive a form and can't be arsed to order one. Is someone going to visit at some point and hand me one?

Pretty much
Hysterical rants are highly unlikely to be productive, if not counter productive, so would be best avoided. However, if you refuse to fill it in then you will be prosecuted and most likely fined. It is a legal requirement to fill it in, and if silly answers are received it may be that another form is issued too (depending on what questions)
Original post by Bosch
Pretty much

Good times. :cool:
Reply 118
I wouldn't throw the first punch. If the census collector became physically violent, I would of course be allowed to use all reasonable force to ensure my safety.

If the census collector is able to control himself and not lash out, then there is no problem, correct?

Well yes, my law a level taught me that too. I wouldnt expect someone to just take a punch to the face. But im still not understanding why you think a census collector is going to hit someone?! just why would we do it and risk losing our job/waste time etc. ?! there is no logic behind that at all!! so why you even brought it up is beyond me :s-smilie: And why you have got arsey at me for explaining how the census info actually works and expressing my opinion i have no idea. :confused:
Reply 119
Original post by ahoward
Im just generally baffled as to why ive suddenly become aggressive? i only want to collect a form :frown: haha! and if he really was scared to open the door to me id be very surprised! the amount of offers of tea and biscuits ive had is extraordinary!! haha! And realistically, the rubbish he's throwing at me is hardly going to make me quit...the pay is too good! and its like a free gym! haha!

Ahhh he's just a berk lol, I have a mate who's doing census collecting, loves it and says his pay is great, apparently hes had a few people saying "I haven't done it, and I'm not going to do it, I'm not going to give in to the government stealing my information, what you gonna do about it?" and they actually expect an arguement, he just gives them the old "cool story bro", and walks off haha

Quick Reply

Latest