The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Smelly Ellie
Well to be honest most teenage girls wear things for a season and throw them out anyway, if I'm buying a coat, jacket or shoes I'll maybe splurge. But the stuff does look nice, and everything I've bought has lasted ages... I have on a playsuit from a few years ago, I love it to bits, always get nice comments about it, and it was £4.50! Definitely got my moneys worth so yeah, Primark is amazing! :biggrin:

I guess you may be able to get a few nice things from there. You're right about the first bit and that's where I differ, I have a specific style that I go for regardless of current 'fashion', so I tend to buy things that will last as I know I'm not really going to drastically change my fashion sense in the near future. Guess it just depends what you like. :P
Original post by .Ali.
I guess you may be able to get a few nice things from there. You're right about the first bit and that's where I differ, I have a specific style that I go for regardless of current 'fashion', so I tend to buy things that will last as I know I'm not really going to drastically change my fashion sense in the near future. Guess it just depends what you like. :P

Yeah I'm not too 'fashionable' either, but generally what I thought looked mint last year seems a bit too weird now :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by twelve
I know this isn't about Primark, but it sums up the whole price of clothes thing:

I bought a pair of boots last year from New Look. They weren't great - cost about £20, but I didn't have much money, and I needed a pair of boots. They lasted for the winter, and that was including resoling them.

This year, I decided I wanted to buy a more expensive pair of boots, that would last a couple of years. So I spent about £60 I think (?) on a pair of boots, and they have just about lasted the winter. I have resoled them, and had to glue the sole back on when it fell off. I spent an extra £40 for no gain at all.

Just because something is more expensive doesn't mean its better quality. It doesn't mean it'll fit better or last longer or anything really. I don't really shop in Primark that much, but I don't buy many new clothes in general anyway. Basically, Primark might be pretty trampy, but most other high street retailers are the same thing, but with a heftier price tag.

Shut up you pig.
In "general" the more expensive the better!
I had shoes for £60, and there were crap, now my shoes cost £150 plus, bench made shoes and they look GOOD!! AND feel good!
Kids still make stuff like this :biggrin:
I've seen people with quite nice stuff from Primark, but I can never find anything there :sad:
Everything I find just looks really awful/cheap and like it's about to fall apart. But some of my friends have lovely stuff from there and magazines sometimes have models wearing clothes from Primark as well. Christ knows where they are finding them, I can never find anything in that place.

I do get pumps from there for going to the beach in at summer though so I don't ruin my nice shoes :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by .Ali.
What's amazing about it? I can understand to some extent just buying some tights or whatever from there, but clothes wise, as well as being dodgy quality, they just don't seem that nice. Wouldn't you rather buy something more expensive that fits better, lasts longer, and looks nicer?

I can see partly where your coming from (thier suits for instance are shapeless baggy things) but there some gems in there. I bought socks from there a year ago and they have been great, no issues with them. I bought a t-shirt there that looks really nice and fits me well.

I like Primarni its serves its purpose

Original post by SK12345
Shut up you pig.
I had shoes for £60, and there were crap, now my shoes cost £150 plus, bench made shoes and they look GOOD!! AND feel good!

£20 pair of shoes lasted me for over a year and half, £160 pair of cowboy boots and id worn the heels out within four days.

Now piss off you ****. You care so much about labels fine if you have that money to waste then go for it, but do not presume to attack others because they choose not to
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by chemical_bex

I've seen people with quite nice stuff from Primark, but I can never find anything there :sad:
Everything I find just looks really awful/cheap and like it's about to fall apart. But some of my friends have lovely stuff from there and magazines sometimes have models wearing clothes from Primark as well. Christ knows where they are finding them, I can never find anything in that place.

I do get pumps from there for going to the beach in at summer though so I don't ruin my nice shoes :p:

Nice sig :biggrin:
Reply 47
Original post by silverbolt
I can see partly where your coming from (thier suits for instance are shapeless baggy things) but there some gems in there. I bought socks from there a year ago and they have been great, no issues with them. I bought a t-shirt there that looks really nice and fits me well.

I like Primarni its serves its purpose

I guess it depends on what you like. I have a very specific 'look' which a lot of highstreet shops don't cater for, and I prefer my clothes to be of a high quality as I don't change my look with the seasons (I know what suits my face and my body shape, I think it's really pointless wearing something 'in' that makes you look horrid), but if you prefer a more high fashion approach I guess it could be good. :smile:

I have found hidden gems in places like H&M before though. I was very pleasantly suprised.
Original post by blueray
Nice sig :biggrin:

LOL whats the eggplant about? :tongue:
Reply 50
Original post by SK12345
Shut up you pig.

You pig? Oh dear.

That isn't how its been in my experience. And it doesn't matter anyway - I don't have the money to go and buy '£150 plus bench made shoes'. I'm talking about normal high street shops, where everything in there is definately less than £100.
Reply 51
Original post by .Ali.
I guess it depends on what you like. I have a very specific 'look' which a lot of highstreet shops don't cater for, and I prefer my clothes to be of a high quality as I don't change my look with the seasons (I know what suits my face and my body shape, I think it's really pointless wearing something 'in' that makes you look horrid), but if you prefer a more high fashion approach I guess it could be good. :smile:

I have found hidden gems in places like H&M before though. I was very pleasantly suprised.

What is your 'look' then? Just out of interest.
Geez my shoes cost £25 and they rock! (casual)
I initially didnt like Primark as I'd seen a few tops that friends had bought from there and I didnt like them but they dragged me in and I got some decent things,a pair of red skinny jeans and a check shirt for fairly cheap prices.I do shop at charity shops mainly and H&M mainly,and I'm happy I've discovered Primark now,but I dont buy everything there.
Original post by konvictz0007
I thought Primark was a cheapy place before, it still is, but lets say I used to buy a trouser for £40-80 elsewhere, I got the same trouser for £10 from Primark and it has lasted me a year. Im not saying all my shopping is done 4rm primark but it certainly helps at times.

But I guess its the way you wear it and your style and presence. People had no idea it was a cheap trouser until I told them.

Exactly. Besides I buy something because I like it, not where it's from or to be one of them nobs who buys a top because it has an item of furniture wrote in huge letters across the front (bench) and to basically say "hur hur look at me, I don't care what I wear as long as it has some brand on it that everyone else has to try and fit in and also make me look rich." Fair enough if you like their clothing, I'm not against buying designer labels in that instance but just for the sake of having the brand name: Grow a pair.
Reply 55
Original post by SK12345

She brought a dress for £24,:ahee: and planned to wear it for a party.

I didn't know it was possible to pay £24 for a dress in Primark :rofl:
Reply 56
Original post by .Ali.
What's amazing about it? I can understand to some extent just buying some tights or whatever from there, but clothes wise, as well as being dodgy quality, they just don't seem that nice. Wouldn't you rather buy something more expensive that fits better, lasts longer, and looks nicer?

I agree. but ultimately the choice is between good quality stuff that will last 3 years or a new outfit every day for the fashion concious.

It's definitely not amazing but good for theme parties or fancy dress things because then the clothes probably won't be worn more than once.
Reply 57
Tbh, I think the fact that you're judging her on where she shops says more about you then it does her.
I can't be in there. I have panic attacks.
Original post by blueray
LOL whats the eggplant about? :tongue:

An example of the size my unborn child is :tongue:

Latest