The Student Room Group

Equilibrium??

Firstly, I'm slightly confused with the concept of the position of the equilibrium when temp, pressure & concentration are increased/decreased?

and on my homework sheet, it asks 'What type of energy change takes place when ammonia is formed from nitrogen and hydrogen?'
I'm probably being really stupid but a little help please :biggrin:
Thanks!
Reply 1
okayy, ummm so equilibrium is very much like a seesaw! so if two skinny kid seat on either side, they are pretty much balanced so they are at the state of equilibrium, but if a fat kid comes then it will be unbalanced, so the position of the equilibrium will shift to counteract this, and (maybe add another fat kid on the other side to balance it) thats pretty much it :smile:

im assuming energy is taken in when bonds are broken and because Nitrogen molecule are triple bonded more energy will be need to break these bonds and so it will be an endothermic reaction where the energy is taken into the system.
Original post by topboim
okayy, ummm so equilibrium is very much like a seesaw! so if two skinny kid seat on either side, they are pretty much balanced so they are at the state of equilibrium, but if a fat kid comes then it will be unbalanced, so the position of the equilibrium will shift to counteract this, and (maybe add another fat kid on the other side to balance it) thats pretty much it :smile:

im assuming energy is taken in when bonds are broken and because Nitrogen molecule are triple bonded more energy will be need to break these bonds and so it will be an endothermic reaction where the energy is taken into the system.

Nice analogy (if a little fattist) and assumption, but not correct.

Formation of ammonia is exothermic to the tune of -46kJ per mole of ammonia formed.

It has to be exothermic because the entropy of the system gets reduced (four moles of gas into 2 moles of gas) going from LHS to RHS.
Reply 3
Original post by charco
Nice analogy (if a little fattist) and assumption, but not correct.

Formation of ammonia is exothermic to the tune of -46kJ per mole of ammonia formed.

It has to be exothermic because the entropy of the system gets reduced (four moles of gas into 2 moles of gas) going from LHS to RHS.

oooooh LOL tried my best :smile: i assumed the last one but im sure my analogy is correct!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest