The Student Room Group

Pretty sure I'm falling for my best friend..

I don't know if the feeling is reciprocated, obviously my thoughts are going to be biased - wishful thinking. I don't know what behaviour crosses the line from best friends to more. Some times we cuddle for hours and it gets touchy feely, we end up holding hands and he rests his hands wherever, like on my thighs. We play fight/tackle but I would think that this is pretty standard? Some times it gets to the point where we are about to kiss one another but neither of us leans forward first.. if you get what i mean.

I want to come out and admit that i like him but how do I do it tactfully? I keep hinting, I say lame things like "I never want to lose you [to another girl]" and he'll say "you won't. when i get a gf, you'll still be in my life" and this makes me re think whether he likes me?

but he's the kind of guy who doesn't believe that a girl can truly like him. He's that shy guy. you know what i mean..

Scroll to see replies

Honestly, with the level of closeness described, as long as you're not SO close like almost brother/sister then just go for it and talk to him. He'll probably just be really relieved that he doesn't have to ask!
Maybe you'll still be in his life because he hopes you will be the girlfriend.
Reply 3
Haha, I know the feeling.

Just tell the geezer your true feelings.
Reply 4
Original post by themagicpiano
Maybe you'll still be in his life because he hopes you will be the girlfriend.

it makes me think that he doesn't envision me being his girlfriend :frown:
Reply 5
This is.. quite cute, actually. :smile:

I'd go for it, as long as you do it in a tactful way like you said. In person is always best; even if he doesn't reciprocate the feelings you'll have his respect for telling him face to face as opposed to over text or facebook. Don't make it all drawn out - just a simple "thought you ought to know that I like you" or something will suffice. :smile: best of luck!
get your tits out in front of him
Reply 7
Original post by hassi94
Honestly, with the level of closeness described, as long as you're not SO close like almost brother/sister then just go for it and talk to him. He'll probably just be really relieved that he doesn't have to ask!

this might sound stupid... but what would be a brother/sister closeness level? :confused:
Reply 8
Original post by EmmaJayne.x
This is.. quite cute, actually. :smile:

I'd go for it, as long as you do it in a tactful way like you said. In person is always best; even if he doesn't reciprocate the feelings you'll have his respect for telling him face to face as opposed to over text or facebook. Don't make it all drawn out - just a simple "thought you ought to know that I like you" or something will suffice. :smile: best of luck!

yeah, i was really thinking of being blunt and saying it but in a not so creepy way, just like how you suggested! Hopefully one day i'll come up with the courage to!
Reply 9
Cuddle up to him and see what he does. :sexface:
Reply 10
Original post by Cicerao
Cuddle up to him and see what he does. :sexface:

lol what? we already do...and he does what i said in the first post. read my first post :confused:
Loads of relationship starts like this, two people are so worried that the other one doesn't like them then they're too afraid or shy to say anything and time is just wasted

I would just go for it. Life's too short. You don't have to say 'I really like you, should we have babies now?'

Just be like look, the way you act around me makes me feel as though we could be more. To be fair, I've got best mates who are boys and we don't cuddle for hours. I think you're in with a good shot. And if it doesn't work out then at least you know and can find someone who acts with romantic intentions instead of actions that are'nt.

I don't know about you , but when I'm in doubt or don't know something it eats me alive like!
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
get your tits out in front of him

ahaa last resort
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know if the feeling is reciprocated, obviously my thoughts are going to be biased - wishful thinking. I don't know what behaviour crosses the line from best friends to more. Some times we cuddle for hours and it gets touchy feely, we end up holding hands and he rests his hands wherever, like on my thighs. We play fight/tackle but I would think that this is pretty standard? Some times it gets to the point where we are about to kiss one another but neither of us leans forward first.. if you get what i mean.

I want to come out and admit that i like him but how do I do it tactfully? I keep hinting, I say lame things like "I never want to lose you [to another girl]" and he'll say "you won't. when i get a gf, you'll still be in my life" and this makes me re think whether he likes me?

but he's the kind of guy who doesn't believe that a girl can truly like him. He's that shy guy. you know what i mean..

This happened to me, literally exactly this... however, I told him, and he didn't feel the same. Our friendship was a bit strained for a week or two but now we're back to normal, still a bit gutted though.
see if he responds to a crotch grab
Reply 15
Original post by lovers in japan
This happened to me, literally exactly this... however, I told him, and he didn't feel the same. Our friendship was a bit strained for a week or two but now we're back to normal, still a bit gutted though.

that really sucks and has scared me a lot :frown: Don't you feel like his actions lead you on just a bit? Or do you think he's just a touchy feely person in general?
Reply 16
Kiss him when you're cuddling!
Go for it. Chances are the lad is thinking exactly the same thing and if not you've got nothing to lose
Reply 18
Original post by lekky
Kiss him when you're cuddling!

not a bad idea, that will solve everything rather quickly. Once, when we were cuddling, I kissed him on the cheek because i was too scared to kiss anywhere else and there were people around us haha. i have never properly kissed a guy before :confused:
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
not a bad idea, that will solve everything rather quickly. Once, when we were cuddling, I kissed him on the cheek because i was too scared to kiss anywhere else and there were people around us haha. i have never properly kissed a guy before :confused:

Just go for it :smile:

If he is like 'wtf' say "I'm sorry it just felt right. I've liked you for a while now." and see what happens

from what you've said I think he'll kiss you back, he just doesn't have the guts to make the first move

Quick Reply

Latest