The Student Room Group

Missed out on "teenage life"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr Pressure
this response only comes from people who are equally in the same situation.

And the "other" response comes from people who think that because they have a social life, they are therefore much better than everyone one.
Original post by miss_sporty
why are you being so harsh. from other threads i have read you are young, therfore you cannot comment so keep the catty comments to yourself

I'm being truthful. How dare you make the assumption that because I'm "young" my opinions are not worthy.

Here's something, I'm as entitled to an opinion as anyone else.

If you don't agree with what I say, fine, but don't say that I "cannot comment". Yes I can.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

I'm 19 years old male, in my first year at uni and have found a girl who stuff is starting to happen with. :smile:
But when I look back over my teenage years I feel like I've missed out on a lot... I've never been in a relationship or even kissed, never really went to parties / got drunk and didn't have a solid group of friends (more just good friends with individuals). Its not that I haven't enjoyed the past 5 or so years of my life - I really have - its just that I feel that I may have missed out on some stuff :frown:
I don't really know what I'm hoping to get by posting on here, I just wanted to put it out there!

Bro I'm a LOT like you. I was never allowed out by my mum during my teens and i developed social phobia and depression. I had ULTRA LOW self esteem and was bullied and made fun of like you just wouldn't believe. Some of that stuff still affects me to this day and i feel like i can never ever be loved by a woman. Yeah sad i know.. Also had bad experiences with women.
I moved to uni and did the whole get drunk off your face.I even experiemented with drugs and just got really high.(Nothing illegal just a drug that's been known to give ecstacy-like effects)
Hell i even ended up in A&E for being totally and completely drunk. Just finished my first year of Uni and still a virgin. I turn 20 in June.
Its good you have a girl to have fun with. Just enjoy it dude because you're only young once.
Reply 23
Hey,

I'm 19 years old male, in my first year at uni and have found a girl who stuff is starting to happen with. :smile:
But when I look back over my teenage years I feel like I've missed out on a lot... I've never been in a relationship or even kissed, never really went to parties / got drunk and didn't have a solid group of friends (more just good friends with individuals). Its not that I haven't enjoyed the past 5 or so years of my life - I really have - its just that I feel that I may have missed out on some stuff :frown:
I don't really know what I'm hoping to get by posting on here, I just wanted to put it out there!

Im exactly the same, never drunk, smoke, dated, went clubbing/parties... I had to concentrate on my school work, because my parents are very strict... but I just see it that every teenager is different and everyone grows up differently... I dont see it as a negative thing and I dont think I would have been comfortable with life any other way so Im happy :smile: Just enjoy life, whatever that may entail!!! Everyone enjoys life differently :smile:
Think of it like this, probably all the people that would get lashed and party are on the dole anyway. Yeah ok, you may not have had 'wild' teenage years but thats worked in your favour as you're at uni. With uni secure, you can do whatever now!

Lifes too short to think what if, focus on the now!
Reply 25
Original post by im so academic
I'm being truthful. How dare you make the assumption that because I'm "young" my opinions are not worthy.

Here's something, I'm as entitled to an opinion as anyone else.

If you don't agree with what I say, fine, but don't say that I "cannot comment". Yes I can.

You have no friends, calm it Kermit
Original post by gallivandalf
Think of it like this, probably all the people that would get lashed and party are on the dole anyway. Yeah ok, you may not have had 'wild' teenage years but thats worked in your favour as you're at uni. With uni secure, you can do whatever now!

Lifes too short to think what if, focus on the now!

:smile:

Original post by Phil-
You have no friends, calm it Kermit

Yeah because that's what matters, how many friends you have on Facebook. :rolleyes:
Hey,

hi. I'm a 19 year old girl and i've never been in a relationship or kissed a guy. i wasted my teanage years waiting for this one guy to make the first move, and i think he was doing the same. all we really did was make eyes at and tease each other. i never had a solid group of friends either until i was at college. so i guess i missed out too. but we learn from it.
i now know that if a shy guy looks at you you have to ask them out, not the other way round. and according to some, going to the cinema is actually a date even if it is only intended as friends (thats how i lost someone).
just remember that it rarely works out with ppl u pick up outside nightclubs, and not to get drunk on the first date. even if there is a whole pitcher of margaritas for only 2 ppl.
just sharing my teenage lack-of experience
Reply 28
:smile:

Yeah because that's what matters, how many friends you have on Facebook. :rolleyes:

he didn't even mention facebook. you blatantly have no friends in real life either. sort yourself out and get outside.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Hey,

Be honest, how are you in the social setting of university?
Reply 30
The make sure you have a wild time in uni!

Hey,

I don't see why you would want that. I'm sort of halfway there concerning your situation. I am 19, a freshman at a university, and I haven't really gone "out" and got drunk or partied yet, I'm just not that type of person.

I mean sure there are some nights where I would want to do something...but not party and drink you know? I don't see the value or enjoyment of spending my money to get drunk then feeling miserable the next day.

Meh, I don't think you're missing out. The latter half of your life is dependent on what you are doing now, a lot of people don't take that too seriously.
So? Who ever said it was a necessity?
#

You'll understand eventually!
Reply 33
Original post by OddThings
I'm 16 at the moment and sometimes I worry that I'm not really doing much that 'normal' teens are,I dont really like the parties that go on in my area,its all get as drunk as possible then snog the face of the nearest human looking thing,which isnt my kind of fun.I have a good group of friends and we mainly go to gigs and go to the cinema etc..why dont you do that with these people you are friends with,or try to make friends into their group if they have on or just them on their own.These friends I've found ive only known for four years,and it was all because I got 'out there'.Make your life what you want it to be,not what others are doing.

Uni is a great enviromment(so ive heard) to make friends.arent there oodles of societies to join about nearly anything,sports groups etc..?

Oh my God. Please leave spaces between words and punctuation marks. Reading this made me dizzy! :eek:
Original post by CapnHooch
Getting drunk and being a social butterfly doesn't constitute to a normal teenage life.
You said you enjoyed yourself, that's the important bit.

These are the years where you'll create the memories that'll last forever.
As long as you've enjoyed yourself, who cares?

I agree- as longas you have had fun thats all that matters.
Reply 35
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one... You've got to love TSR :smile:
Hey,

You're 19 bruv, you're still young, there's plenty of time to do all the stuff that you feel you've missed out on. If you want to go out to parties/get drunk etc you still can, it's not exclusive to teenage life. There'll be plenty of people at your uni who'll be happy to do that with you, maybe some of them'll have been doing it for longer but that doesn't matter. Stop worrying about stuff that you haven't done and get out there and do it if you want to do it, enjoy your life! :smile:
Everyone is different. Just because you didn't do what everyone else seems to do, it doesn't mean you 'missed out' on something.

I'm 22. I didn't have any friends in primary school because they thought I was too 'smart' and it wasn't 'cool' to be around me. In highschool I had a few, but I was never that close to them and I have no contact with them anymore. I never went to parties, I hardly drank any alcohol. Even now, parties and alcohol don't seem at all appealing to me. Instead of going out on Saturday nights, I stay in watching Heartbeat and baking cakes:smile: I'm happy with that and I don't care what anyone else thinks:smile:
im so academic, I really do feel sorry for people who know you offline. You're bad enough on here.
I don't really see what your problem is. My early teenage years were rather uneventful - I preferred the company of my family and a few very close friends and never really engaged in any of the partying or drinking: In fact, the first party I attended was last June as a 17 year old.

Over the past year or so, I have moved on quite significantly and, being on the verge of leaving school and starting university in September, I know its time to move on - so yes, I hope that I find a girlfriend, and continue to have a great time for the forseeable future.

Although you may feel upset or 'left out' that you didn't have an overly active social in your teens don't feel resentful or left out. In all honest truth, your probably more mature and sensitive to other people than many males of your age.

My advice, if of course advice is appropriate is just to keep cool, and go with the flow - you've got a girl who is interested in you - just enjoy life for what it is now and, cliched as it sounds, look to the future, not the past!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending