The Student Room Group

Would I be stupid to apply next year with better grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
The bf had to repeat a year and one thing he regrets is that he "lost a year", so unless you're doing something super worthwhile, think about it carefully. x

(I know it's not the exact same situation, but sometimes it's best to just crack on with life.)
Reply 41
Maybe not stupid... Pretty eccentric though.
Reply 42
Original post by ilickbatteries
I see.

I was a bit worried about applying to places asking for BBB because I only got AAC at AS, so I know where you're coming from.

I think you'll be okay applying to Durham, Oxford etc.

If you can justify paying £18k extra for a degree, then go for it. If you can't, stick with Soton.

You'd be fine applying for BBB places with AAC! :eek:
Reply 43
Original post by Joinedup
Maybe not stupid... Pretty eccentric though.

:wink:
Reply 44
I'm going to say, if you'd be happy with Southampton next year, do not take a year out.
If you take a year out, do not apply to Southampton at all.

What would be the point, A) I wouldn't accept you if you applied, declined, and applied again if I were Southampton, and B) You'd just be gambling £18,000 in the hope that places that are unlikely to accept you, decided to.

I took a year out and reapplied, and yeah, best decision of my life, but the uni I'm going to is substantially better than the one I could have gone to last year, and I didn't apply again to the one I declined as there was no point.

In addition, the Guardian league table? Really? Times/Complete uni guide are much much better.

CUG Overall Southampton: 14
For Psychology: 23 (RHUL is 8th for God sake, firm that and be happy.)
Reply 45
Original post by Mann18
I'm going to say, if you'd be happy with Southampton next year, do not take a year out.
If you take a year out, do not apply to Southampton at all.

What would be the point, A) I wouldn't accept you if you applied, declined, and applied again if I were Southampton, and B) You'd just be gambling £18,000 in the hope that places that are unlikely to accept you, decided to.

I took a year out and reapplied, and yeah, best decision of my life, but the uni I'm going to is substantially better than the one I could have gone to last year, and I didn't apply again to the one I declined as there was no point.

In addition, the Guardian league table? Really? Times/Complete uni guide are much much better.

CUG Overall Southampton: 14
For Psychology: 23 (RHUL is 8th for God sake, firm that and be happy.)

I prefer SOTON as a place and their facilities are far better... The neuropsychologist I had work experience with said if I want to do research then go to SOTON.
Reply 46
Original post by RobertWhite
I prefer SOTON as a place and their facilities are far better... The neuropsychologist I had work experience with said if I want to do research then go to SOTON.

You aren't going to be doing research as an undergrad. RHUL would be better for undergrad but Soton for postgrad.
You'd be fine applying for BBB places with AAC! :eek:

I was told on here back in October that despite being predicted A*AC I should apply to universities specifying UCAS points or ABC/BBC due to having that C.

I eventually got the C predicted to a B, though.
Reply 48

Firstly, I'd say that if you trusted the neuropsychologist so much, why are you even thinking about reapplying?

Secondly, RHUL Research Index: 2.85 Southhampton: 2.70.

RHUL: Graudate prospects: 65
Southampton: 56.

Put simply, you have offers from some very good universities, you could do better, but you could also do much worse.

Let's look at your chances next year:

Oxford: 23.2%
Durham: 23%
UCL: Not available
Bristol: 27%

So your chances aren't brilliant, but I have a feeling you're going to do it anyway, so good luck mon veiux.
Reply 49
Original post by Mann18
Firstly, I'd say that if you trusted the neuropsychologist so much, why are you even thinking about reapplying?

Secondly, RHUL Research Index: 2.85 Southhampton: 2.70.

RHUL: Graudate prospects: 65
Southampton: 56.

Put simply, you have offers from some very good universities, you could do better, but you could also do much worse.

Let's look at your chances next year:

Oxford: 23.2%
Durham: 23%
UCL: Not available
Bristol: 27%

So your chances aren't brilliant, but I have a feeling you're going to do it anyway, so good luck mon veiux.

If I apply with A*A* A I'm more likely to get an offer with the already attained grades. The neuropsychologist gave me the best I could do with what I applied for. He went to UCL and did his degree in two years after switching from medicine.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tooosh
Two words: student loan.

It's not that stupid but is the difference between Southampton and the other unis worth a year of your life?

hmmm - my point exactly LOAN not GRANT- you do actually have to pay it back, so if you wait the year and the fees rise, you will be in a lot more debt when you come out of uni. my family have set up a fund so the debt will be wiped out for me when i leave uni, but £50 000 is a lot and one needs to question if you really want that much debt when you leave uni.
Reply 51
If I apply with A*A* A I'm more likely to get an offer with the already attained grades. The neuropsychologist gave me the best I could do with what I applied for. He went to UCL and did his degree in two years after switching from medicine.

You're overestimating how much A*A*A* is worth.

I've seen people rejected from Oxford and Durham this year with A*A*A* attained.

I'd expect you to get one offer from four at least, but if you're going to apply to Southampton again, what would be the point?
Reply 52
Original post by brunettegirl92
hmmm - my point exactly LOAN not GRANT- you do actually have to pay it back, so if you wait the year and the fees rise, you will be in a lot more debt when you come out of uni. my family have set up a fund so the debt will be wiped out for me when i leave uni, but £50 000 is a lot and one needs to question if you really want that much debt when you leave uni.

Yeah but you said that ability to afford the £9k fees depends on how wealthy your family is. It doesn't, you can choose to pay back your loan early (don't see why you would but you can) or you can just stick with the standard deduction from your wages.
Reply 53
Original post by Mann18
You're overestimating how much A*A*A* is worth.

I've seen people rejected from Oxford and Durham this year with A*A*A* attained.

I'd expect you to get one offer from four at least, but if you're going to apply to Southampton again, what would be the point?

I'm aware of that. I have many other positives like vast work experience and I'm grade 7 trumpet, grade 5 violin, I've won athletic medals, I'm a prefect, student supporter at school etc... I feel like I'd have a good shot at the top universities.

EDIT: I agree with you though, I wouldn't apply to SOTON again.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by tooosh
Yeah but you said that ability to afford the £9k fees depends on how wealthy your family is. It doesn't, you can choose to pay back your loan early (don't see why you would but you can) or you can just stick with the standard deduction from your wages.

Not many people next year can afford these fees. That's why we have loans in place.
Reply 55
If you are predicted three A*'s, then why didn't you apply to these 'better' universities in the first place?

I wouldn't pull out unless you really believe that first of all, you could get in, and secondly, if you didn't get in next year, you wouldn't hate yourself and really regret it.

What are you going to do next year? Is it going to be something worthwhile or are you just going to bum around for a year? What exactly makes southhampton not as good as other places? And are the places you're considering really good enough to pay three times the fees?
Reply 56
Not many people next year can afford these fees. That's why we have loans in place.

That's basically what I was saying :tongue:
Reply 57
Original post by twelve
If you are predicted three A*'s, then why didn't you apply to these 'better' universities in the first place?

I wouldn't pull out unless you really believe that first of all, you could get in, and secondly, if you didn't get in next year, you wouldn't hate yourself and really regret it.

What are you going to do next year? Is it going to be something worthwhile or are you just going to bum around for a year? What exactly makes southhampton not as good as other places? And are the places you're considering really good enough to pay three times the fees?

I didn't achieve as well at AS level but scored 100% in every exam this Jan, hence my predicted grades have soared. I would hate myself if I didn't get any offers, but I'd probably get at least one. If I took a year out I'd do A2 biology self taught (dropped it at AS), find a part time job, perhaps full time and look for more work experience. I may just apply through adjustment and go to SOTON if not successful now.
Reply 58
I didn't achieve as well at AS level but scored 100% in every exam this Jan, hence my predicted grades have soared. I would hate myself if I didn't get any offers, but I'd probably get at least one. If I took a year out I'd do A2 biology self taught (dropped it at AS), find a part time job, perhaps full time and look for more work experience. I may just apply through adjustment and go to SOTON if not successful now.

I'd try adjustment first - if that fails could you drop out of soton then?
Original post by tooosh

i see that, but as the debt is more, more will be taken from your wages, or it wont be cancelled when your 40 whatever because we are assuming that it will be payed back at the same rate (e.g. amount per month) and conditions, which i doubt it will be other wise they wont get all the money back

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending