The Student Room Group

David Cameron: Britain caused many of the world's problems

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Europe and now America caused/cause a lot of problems.
Reply 41
Original post by Sea of Turquoise
Firstly, No I am not from an ex colony, I have met many people who are from ex British colonies and they bitterly regret the British leaving.

second, Ugandans masacaring homosexuals is their own problem, and their own fault, I find it pathetic, absolutly pathetic that you blame old British laws (that have never advocated the death penalty for homosexuality) for MAKING Ugandans kill gays, You are basically saying the British are rising from the dead through ancient laws and MAKING Ugandans kill, in 2011 no less.

Please **** off. If Ugandans are so infantile and child like that they are influenced in this manner, then the problem is with them psychologically.

p.s. Are you telling me before the British came that ugandans celebrated homosexuality and treated them as equals ?

go do anthropology, homosexuality was a celebrated class of people in the Ancient civilisations including in Africa and Latin America (Mayas, Aztec, Incas) before colonisation began.

you can find some self hating former colony residents, big whoop, i can find you Jews who love Hitler and blacks who like the klu Klux Klan , weak weak weak argument.

Your ignorance is showing, by your measure the UK did no wrong, invading and dividing and oppressing people was a great thing right? shipping millions of slaves and Indians to the Caribbean was good thing right? Legislating Christian laws into non Christian Society was a great thing right? and then leaving without fixing it was good too?

you're not very educated nor critical thinking are you?
He's right. We know it, Pakistan knows it, the rest of the world knows it. Admitting it helps everyone move forward - pretending that it didn't exist and ignoring that part of history helps noone, certainly not our international relations. I really don't get what the "he should keep his mouth shut" crowd are trying to achieve.
Original post by Vozhak
go do anthropology, homosexuality was a celebrated class of people in the Ancient civilisations including in Africa and Latin America (Mayas, Aztec, Incas) before colonisation began.

you can find some self hating former colony residents, big whoop, i can find you Jews who love Hitler and blacks who like the klu Klux Klan , weak weak weak argument.

Your ignorance is showing, by your measure the UK did no wrong, invading and dividing and oppressing people was a great thing right? shipping millions of slaves and Indians to the Caribbean was good thing right? Legislating Christian laws into non Christian Society was a great thing right? and then leaving without fixing it was good too?

you're not very educated nor critical thinking are you?

Show me your eivdence that homosexualty was celebrated in what is now uganda ?

Many ex British colonies such as America, Australia, Hong Kong etc. prospered under British rule. Infact Ireland whom was colonised more brutally and for far longers than any other colony has prsospered to become one of the most prosperous economies (before the reccession) in the west, with one of the highest standards of living in the world

Rhodesia for instance was considered the breadbasket of Arica, as white farmers fed the whole sub saharan continent. Until the rhodesians got back their country and ****ed it up themselves. Ugandans are responsible for killing gays, not the British, I have nothing more to add here.

The fact is that today there are still cultures and societies that are extremely primitive, non-developing, backwards and non-progressive (all of sub saharan Africa for intance).

However, had Africa never experienced European colonisation they would be living in mudhuts eating termites and wearing leaves.

I am not guilty about my nations past, and if Africans hated colonisation they can hand back everything we gave them, science, engineering, agriculture (Sub saharans being entirely nomadic), economics, literature, medicine, infrastructure.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
Show me your eivdence that homosexualty was celebrated in what is now uganda ?

Many ex British colonies such as America, Australia, Hong Kong etc. prospered under British rule. Infact Ireland whom was colonised more brutally and for far longers than any other colony has prsospered to become one of the most prosperous economies (before the reccession) in the west, with one of the highest standards of living in the world

Rhodesia for instance was considered the breadbasket of Arica, as white farmers fed the whole sub saharan continent. Until the rhodesians got back their country and ****ed it up themselves. Ugandans are responsible for killing gays, not the British, I have nothing more to add here.

The fact is that today there are still cultures and societies that are extremely primitive, non-developing, backwards and non-progressive (all of sub saharan Africa for intance).

However, had Africa never experienced European colonisation they would be living in mudhuts eating termites and wearing leaves.

I am not guilty about my nations past, and if Africans hated colonisation they can hand back everything we gave them, science, engineering, agriculture (Sub saharans being entirely nomadic), economics, literature, medicine, infrastructure.

then you hand us back the millions of tons of gold, diamonds, asphalt, timber, labour, sugar, cotton, iron etc. that you took to develop yourself, and give back agriculture to the Mesopotamians who developed it. IDIOT.

you do not think, science and maths originated in the middle east you ass, do you know where the world's oldest university is? i'm sure you don't.

i'm very glad you are continuing to speak, the more you speak is the more your ignorance shows, i'm actually glad people like you exist, hast off !

the UK did no wrong, artificially creating countries with people who hated each other was a great thing, looting and plundering was a great thing, shooting protesters who wanted independence was a good thing. dividing races was a good thing. it was perfect in every way.

poor you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Renner
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/8430899/David-Cameron-Britain-caused-many-of-the-worlds-problems.html

****ing muppet. I'm a Tory and one time supporter of Cameron, I still support most of his domestic policy. But going abroad and saying things like this! Get the gallows out boys

What do you think? Is he right? Wrong? Or should've just kept his big mouth shut on the whole thing.

I think we could play a role in mediating the conflict, were better placed than any other nation to do it. While the French have no problem keeping an eye on there former colonies we shirk away from it, even when they want us to do more in there nations. Its a disgrace

This.

I am a tory supporter and still do support Cameron.

It isn't Britain's fault that countries like Pakistan suffer from corruption to the highest degree. The countries had it's ups and downs. A few years back it was one of the fastest growing economies in Asia, a success story, a growing productive capacity, a growing media, etc... and today it is cap in hand to IMF. Honestly, it is not Britain's fault that Pakistan suffers from inept politicians.
It still has potential and investors recognise this and it can still be a success story. That is dependant on the Pakistani people.
He was focusing Kashmir. Yes, to an extent Britain failed to provide an agreement when it came to partition. It is now dependant on Pakistan and India for the solution. Thankfully, we are not interfering.
Original post by Vozhak
then you hand us back the millions of tons of gold, diamonds, asphalt, timber, labour, sugar, cotton, iron etc. that you took to develop yourself, and give back agriculture to the Mesopotamians who developed it. IDIOT.

you do not think, science and maths originated in the middle east you ass, do you know where the world's oldest university is? i'm sure you don't.

i'm very glad you are continuing to speak, the more you speak is the more your ignorance shows, i'm actually glad people like you exist, hast off !

the UK did no wrong, artificially creating countries with people who hated each other was a great thing, looting and plundering was a great thing, shooting protesters who wanted independence was a good thing. dividing races was a good thing. it was perfect in every way.

poor you.

Yeah the British empire was so bad, yet where you you live. Oh you live in Britain, under the care and auspices of the British. Hypcrae much ?

Firstly, sugar, cotton, timber are renweable resources, and there is absolutly no shortage of Iron or Asohalt. Gold and diamond mining was in its infancy during the British occuption.
You also forget the billions of aid pumpd into Africa by britain for the past 50 years.

We owe you nothing

The ancient Britons were expert metallurgists and chemists so science always existed here, and yes maths did originate in the Middle East, something that they have contributed to knowledge unlike sub saharan Africans who have contributed NOTHING
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 47
Yeah the British empire was so bad, yet where you you live. Oh you live in Britain, under the care and auspices of the British. Hypcrae much ?

Firstly, sugar, cotton, timber are renweable resources, and there is absolutly no shortage of Iron or Asohalt. Gold and diamond mining was in its infancy during the British occuption.

The ancient Britons weRE expert metallurgists and chemists so science always existed here, and yes maths did originate in the Middle East, something that they have contributed to knowledge unlike sub saharan Africans who have contributed NOTHING

i'm done educating you for the day. and i do not live in UK and am not from it.

Not everyone on TSR is, ever heard of International Students?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Vozhak
i'm done educating you for the day.

Oh yeah and can we have the hundreds of billions of pounds and Euros pumped into Africa on an annual basis for the past 50 years. We don't accept cheques because they will no doubt bounce.

The money spent on foreign investment, providing africa with renewable ebergy sources, Medical assistance, military assistance etc ?
(edited 13 years ago)
great powers cause great problems-so what?
Reply 50
Original post by Bunkd
It's shameful treachery - from the very man who is supposed to represent the Queen..

We did more to help the world progress than any other nation in this world.. Pakistan's problems come from islam and its social structure, not her colonial past.

If these colonies want our help (not specifically Pakistan, but Rhodesia, say), they should be prepared to suffer some loss of sovereignty. It is a documented fact that many in Africa would actually support the return of the colonial powers.

Are you serious?

Original post by Stefan1991
PLEASE tell me you are joking? You obviously have NO idea, please go study some post-colonialism. We didn't exactly leave a nice colonial legacy, many countries are still suffering the negative affects from our greed today. We didn't help world progress. We helped our own progress and extracted resources.

:facepalm:

What he said. Goddamn nationalistic brits going on about how the world needs us and was so much better off with us raping their natural resources and undermining/destroying their cultural identity. Get real
Original post by Vozhak
you stupidity is showing, the UK wrote the laws and engrained it into people, do you think laws are just unmade over night? those laws were psychologically engrained into the colonies. are you from a colony? were your people slaughtered and oppressed? were your natural resources raped?

How incredibly ****ing insulting and racist as well.

They are not children or mentally retarded, they can make decisions themselves.
Original post by jacketpotato
We know it, Pakistan knows it, the rest of the world knows it. Admitting it helps everyone move forward - pretending that it didn't exist and ignoring that part of history helps noone, certainly not our international relations. I really don't get what the "he should keep his mouth shut" crowd are trying to achieve.

How about Pakistan faces up to that fact it is the No 1 exporter and source of Islamic terrorism?

If it wasn't for us the country would still be stuck in the faith-obsessed dark ages.

Oh wait......

I really don't see how your orgy of self hatred and flagellation will 'help our international relations'.

Pakistan is a hellhole because of Islam, nothing else.
Reply 53
Original post by Bunkd

Consider in particular how they would be today if we had not incorporated these peoples into the Empire.. They would probably have been under the control of the French (and would have suffered largely the same fate, only smaller markets today and be lumbered with a dying language; rest assured India's recent growth would be non-existant if its population weren't to speak English!). If not the French, then the Germans or the Belgians; if you know, as you seem to claim to, anything about colonial history, you will know that these colonies would have suffered considerably more had they been under the control of the Germans or King Leopold..

Okay so you're argument is, it was okay to subjugate and oppress those deemed "inferior cultures" in their lands because "somebody else would have done it anyway". Good one. :congrats:

Original post by Bunkd

In particular, these people's problems come from the same reason they were so conquerable in the first place!! The inherent cultural inferiority of the islamic and negro peoples has held back their development, and continues to hold back their development.
:rofl:

gtfo troll. :lol:
Reply 54
Okay so you're argument is, it was okay to subjugate and oppress those deemed "inferior cultures" in their lands because "somebody else would have done it anyway". Good one. :congrats:

:rofl:

gtfo troll. :lol:

If you can't understand such a simple point then I suppose it isn't worth my time trying to show you. Hopefully you will see eventually that I am right.

And of course some cultures are superior to others; if you had taken the time to even browse the links I showed you, you would have seen that I am far from alone in having realised this. Your ignorance is your own loss.
You can't count the number of serious issues still around due to England wanting to keep power. It is ultimately a small country to rule the world, causing them to use divide and conquer, whenever one group got too powerful they strengthened the other and caused them to fight.

The greek-turkish divide of Cyprus is a classic example.
Reply 56
As bad as this sounds I cant help but notice the countries who we gave independence to which were made up of white europeans prospered in a generation whereas many 'non-white' countries seemed to have driven themselves straight into the ****ter when they got independence.

The british empire in this countries put down the slave trade, brought infrastructure and law and order to these places, now you look at places like pakistan and india who are a hairs breadth away from full out nuclear war, african countries are starving from corruption when they aren't locked in the latest bloody civil war.

As much as empires are frowned upon these days as an oppressive thing of the past, I can't help but think that many ex-colonies were a lot better off under british rule than they were by themselves, but every country has a right to self determination so I guess we just let them continue as they are.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Bunkd
And of course some cultures are superior to others; if you had taken the time to even browse the links I showed you, you would have seen that I am far from alone in having realised this. Your ignorance is your own loss.

I'm sure Hitler shared your views, but that doesn't mean you're any more right :lol:

Our cultures became most advanced because of geography, and blind luck, nothing about our culture's inherent superiority :lol: Do you really believe such tripe?

If Islam is so inferior, please explain how it spawned an empire rivalling Rome and to this day has millions of adherents?
Reply 58
Original post by Square
As bad as this sounds I cant help but notice the countries who we gave independence to which were made up of white europeans prospered in a generation whereas many 'non-white' countries seemed to have driven themselves straight into the ****ter when they got independence.

It might look like that superficially, however the difference with the white dominions is that they were incredibly rich due to being given opportunities and rich exploits on the account of being white, they were given self-autonomy, a degree of self-governance and dominion status a hundred years before everywhere else. Whereas we left the rest without any experience of governing themselves, after decades of subjugation and servitude, leaving a power vacuum and little in the way of stable institutions of state. We didn't care, we couldn't afford the colonies, so we got out. Look at the partition of India, millions died, and conflict exists to this day.

Original post by Square

The british empire in this countries put down the slave trade, brought infrastructure and law and order to these places, now you look at places like pakistan and india who are a hairs breadth away from full out nuclear war, african countries are starving from corruption when they aren't locked in the latest bloody civil war.

You want to give the British empire credit for stopping the slave trade? WHO STARTED THE SLAVE TRADE?

I'm not saying British imperialism is the source of all the worlds problems, but at least Cameron has the balls to admit it was the source of A LOT of the world's misery. Just pretending all that evil didn't happen would be a dick-head's move.
You want to give the British empire credit for stopping the slave trade? WHO STARTED THE SLAVE TRADE?

I'm not saying British imperialism is the source of all the worlds problems, but at least Cameron has the balls to admit it was the source of A LOT of the world's misery. Just pretending all that evil didn't happen would be a dick-head's move.

Are you mentally ill?

Slavery existed in the Roman Empire predates it. Saying that Britain started the slave trade shows you know nothing about history.

The African slave trade was started by Arab Muslims yet you don't see the Islamic countries taking responsibility....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending