The Student Room Group

Ex-polys asking for AAB for biomed.... ???

I am currently at an ex-poly doing a science foundation year that for years asked for CCC-BBC for its biomed course.

This year due to the fee rise the uni has been forced to only give offers of ABB. This uni doesnt even rank in the top 50 for bioscience.

I was speaking to the biomed course leader today and she said that this year there was 1 place for every 6 people who applied (but that was kind of expected because everyone wants to go to uni this September due to the fee rise 2012). A lot of people put ex-polys as there back up in the hope that they will get into a better uni (ie Russell group)or in case they dont get their grades. By asking for ABB it is making it a similar/the same offer to higher ranking biomed courses.

She (the course leader) said that they will also be increasing the requirements to AAB next year :eek:.
I was shocked. This is getting very close to a medicine offer.

I said "but no one will apply if they will get a lower offer from a Russell group uni"
Her reply was " all unis will be increasing their requirements again next year"

This suggests that higher ranking unis will be asking for AAA for biomed in the next 2 or 3 years. That means that
1. there will be little point in med applicants having it as a back up any more.
2. People who are pretty clever and get BBB at alevel will not be able to do biomed even at the lowest ranking unis.

An ex-poly asking for AAB for biomed is totally ridiculous. Along with the £9000 fees it is making it like it was in the old day where you could only be very well off and very clever to go university.

the course leader also said that if she was to apply to this uni now that she would not get in with her Alevels. Yet she currently has a 1st class degree distinction at masters and a PhD.

END RANT.

Scroll to see replies

You should have to be very clever to go to uni or do a course that doesn't need the traditional 'book-intelligence'. And, seeing as there's no money up front, you won't need to be well-off to afford university.
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
You should have to be very clever to go to uni or do a course that doesn't need the traditional 'book-intelligence'. And, seeing as there's no money up front, you won't need to be well-off to afford university.

people on low income will begin to fear going to uni due to the debt that they know they will accumulate during their studies. They will feel it is out of their reach.

Getting AAB in alevels doesnt mean your clever or that you will get a good degree. My course leader got BBBD at alevel but she still went on to get a 1st class degree, distinction at masters and a PhD. According to the new requirement she would not be "clever enough" to do the course when in fact she did that very course and did bloody well in it.

I dont believe you have to be A grade clever to do well at uni.
Original post by anon2010
people on low income will begin to fear going to uni due to the debt that they know they will accumulate during their studies. They will feel it is out of their reach.

Getting AAB in alevels doesnt mean your clever or that you will get a good degree. My course leader got BBBD at alevel but she still went on to get a 1st class degree, distinction at masters and a PhD. According to the new requirement she would not be "clever enough" to do the course when in fact she did that very course and did bloody well in it.

They already know they're accumulating debt; if they can't research it, they definitely shouldn't be going to uni.

You're not taking grade inflation into account, it's not like she got a modern-day D. Depending on how long ago she took her A-levels, it could be a modern B grade, and those B's would have been more like A's or maybe even A*'s.
Reply 4
They already know they're accumulating debt; if they can't research it, they definitely shouldn't be going to uni.
how are they already accumulating debt?

You're not taking grade inflation into account, it's not like she got a modern-day D. Depending on how long ago she took her A-levels, it could be a modern B grade, and those B's would have been more like A's or maybe even A*'s.

She took her Alevels 10 years ago. She is still in her 30s.

Plus my sister got a 1st in an academic degree and she had CDD at alevel 4 years ago. No way that is worth A*A*A*.
And my BF is due to finish his degree this year he is predicted a 2:1. He had CCC at Alevel 3 years a go.
Alternatively there is a girl where I work who got 3As at alevel and did a Biochem degree and left after the first year because she said she found it too hard.
A guy at my church has NO alevels and is now studying medicine because he managed to get a 2:1 nursing degree.

Good Alevel grades doent = clever or able to get a good degree.
Interestingly, going to an ex poly for biomed science rather than a Russell Group uni can be a smart move for some people, particularly if they want a career in the NHS as a biomedical scientist so perhaps the grades / fees are justifiable. For example, Manchester Metropolitan Uni's biomedical science course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science and the degree gives registration with the Health Profession's Council (HPC) as a biomedical scientist - while Manchester University's biomedical science course does not have this accreditation or give you HPC registration.

It's not real debt by any modern understanding of it, so if they aren't smart enough or prepared to do the slightest bit of research to work that out then why should they go to uni?
Reply 7
Original post by SemperVivum
Interestingly, going to an ex poly for biomed science rather than a Russell Group uni can be a smart move for some people, particularly if they want a career in the NHS as a biomedical scientist so perhaps the grades / fees are justifiable. For example, Manchester Metropolitan Uni's biomedical science course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science and the degree gives registration with the Health Profession's Council (HPC) as a biomedical scientist - while Manchester University's biomedical science course does not have this accreditation or give you HPC registration.

This is a good point actually. My course is accredited.
pointing out unis are asking for AAB, than gets told there will be 1place in 6
your A-levels grades don't mean nothing to how you will do on your degree

entry requirement go up due to the amount of people applying, nothing to do with how good the place is

most uni that are termed "higher ranked" already want AAA or AAB, i can only think of a few that will ask for BBB
doesn't help people have the mind set if i don't get into med no matter my grades i can do biomed than i will get into med school, (if only it was that easy, that another ball park i'm not getting into as same don't know they want to do med until they are into their degree)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Locally QUB is a russel group university where the entry grades are ABB while the neighbour expolytech university university of ulster has entry requirements of BB with 280 ucas tarrif points, yet recently more people are placing University of Ulster as their firm even if they are sure to get A*A*A*A* simply because the course has a year in industry and the course structure is seen as better. When the NHS is a potential employer and its a vocational course, students wont get so hung up on russel group status. I think if your university has the same oppertunities the grade increases must seem very appropriate; its a very compettive and well respected course.
I don't understand the point of this thread? A university can set its entry requirements to be whatever it wants- clearly if these ex-polys are setting AAB requirements then they feel they can fill up all their places with >AAB students, so it makes sense for them to do so.

Good Alevel grades doent = clever or able to get a good degree.

A few examples of people you know don't mean anything. If you look at the statistics you'll see that higher A-level grades do correlate to better degree performance.

Therefore,

Good A-level grades does = More likely to get a good degree

Which is why Universities use A-level entry requirements. If A-levels had no relation to university performance, these universities would save themselves the trouble and just select on a first-come first-serve basis or at random.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by innerhollow

Which is why Universities use A-level entry requirements. If A-levels had no relation to university performance, these universities would save themselves the trouble and just select on a first-come first-serve basis or at random.

Or by the best personal statement and the applicants with the most appealing qualities and work experience.
Alevel grade only tell you a tiny amount about a student.

The point of this thread way to rant. As the ending said
END RANT.
(edited 12 years ago)
Or by the best personal statement and the applicants with the most appealing qualities and work experience.
Alevel grade only tell you a tiny amount about a student.

The point of this thread way to rant. As the ending said

You can say that all you want, it doesn't make it true! What is your evidence?

If you look down any league table comparing entry standards with good honours rate, you'll see a fairly apparent correlation. I never said A-level grades are a perfect indicator, but considering most university courses test your ability to complete coursework, revise for and pass exams- just like at A-level- it's no surprise that A-level performance tells you far more about how well they will do at university than "personal qualities and work experience".

An ex-poly asking for AAB for biomed is totally ridiculous. Along with the £9000 fees it is making it like it was in the old day where you could only be very well off and very clever to go university.

:rofl:

*Read up the new student finance plan, please
*Why shouldn't just the very clever go to university?

Bull****, there are many bursaries and grants available.

No, but there are something called standards. Are you saying it's unfair for a "really clever student" to be denied a place at Oxbridge because he or she attained CCC?

Tough. If you want a certain university place, you've got to reach the minimum standard, irrespective of institution.
Original post by im so academic
:rofl:

*Read up the new student finance plan, please
*Why shouldn't just the very clever go to university?

Oh my, this is scary - we roughly agree. :s-smilie:

It's a tough old world. Guess you just have to deal with it.

Along with the £9000 fees it is making it like it was in the old day where you could only be very well off...

To be honest, there's still going to be enough financial support to ensure that you can still get to the top universities, even if they are charging £9k.

...and very clever to go university.

Some would argue in favour of that point, anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by im so academic
Bull****, there are many bursaries and grants available.

No, but there are something called standards. Are you saying it's unfair for a "really clever student" to be denied a place at Oxbridge because he or she attained CCC?

Tough. If you want a certain university place, you've got to reach the minimum standard, irrespective of institution.

In some ways it can be 'unfair' because one bad A-level exam can screw up your university choices entirely. Nevertheless, it must be recognised that little can be done about this.

Original post by innerhollow

That's a scary thoguht. Although, to an extent, I think they already do!
(edited 12 years ago)
Looks like she wants to unofficially close down the department.

But A levels have been significantly dumbed down since your course leader took them as three B's ~8 years ago was very good and much harder to obtain.

EDIT: Neg rep? It is not opinion that A lvls have been dumbed down but fact - just get a past paper from 2000.....:rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
This is becoming more common. Maybe its because more people are applying this year to avoid the fee increases in 2012 so even the lower ranked unis are over subscribed forcing them to increase entry requirements.

To do Psychology at Trent University you now need ABB excluding general studies and drama.

Quick Reply

Latest