The Student Room Group

Applying through ucas and direct to uni

So say you used up all your choices on ucas
could you be cheeky and apply straight to another uni? they're not for degree courses for a hnd:colondollar:

or on the other hand if you got rejected by all could you quickly apply to another via their site?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
If you get caught doing this all your offers could be withdrawn.

Be fair and apply like everyone else.
Reply 2
Original post by bedhead09
could you be cheeky and apply straight to another uni? they're not for degree courses for a hnd:colondollar:

or on the other hand if you got rejected by all could you quickly apply to another via their site?

I don't get you first question. UCAS only allows you to choose 5 uni's.

As for you second question, if you get rejected by all you uni's you automatically go into UCAS extra and can add an extra uni
Reply 3
i personally don't like UCAS as they are the middlemen, we should just go direct to the uni for application. In addition, UCAS is a business and in the view of the business, profit is probably their main aim as you have to pay £20 (i think!) to send you application off. Yes it saves time, but i feel that actually writing to the uni makes it feel more personal then a inline application. I will probably get neg rep for this, pls do not take offence
Original post by bedhead09

I thought you studied HND's at Further Education Colleges, in which case, you would be allowed to do that.
Original post by ajayhp
i personally don't like UCAS as they are the middlemen, we should just go direct to the uni for application. In addition, UCAS is a business and in the view of the business, profit is probably their main aim as you have to pay £20 (i think!) to send you application off. Yes it saves time, but i feel that actually writing to the uni makes it feel more personal then a inline application. I will probably get neg rep for this, pls do not take offence

This was discussed extensively on the Medicine forum earlier this year. The admin costs of you applying separately to each uni would probably end up being far more than £20. And if you had an unlimited number of choices, the time taken to process all those applications would be exponentially longer and the statistics of trying to balance offers to places would be messed up. Having filled out three separate applications this year for individual uni apps, I found myself wishing for a UCAS that covered intercalated applications!
Reply 6
I have a friend who applied to 7 unis, applying to two direct and 5 through ucas. I don't know if there are any rules against this though.
Reply 7
I think you can for a HND...
Reply 8
Original post by ajayhp

UCAS is actually a charity, not a buisness. And do you want it to be like in the states where you have to pay at least £20 for each application, if not more?
Reply 9
Original post by jelly1000
UCAS is actually a charity, not a buisness. And do you want it to be like in the states where you have to pay at least £20 for each application, if not more?

What happens to the money afterwards? how does it get redistributed?
Original post by ajayhp

I'm not sure
Original post by ajayhp

I imagine it pays for all those people who answer the phones, and for all those servers that enable you to check Track every two minutes. Just because it's a charity doesn't mean it doesn't use its income to pay its costs.
Reply 12
Original post by ajayhp

There is no money afterwards. £20 covers the administrative cost of applying. UCAS does not make a profit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending