The Student Room Group

Declining medicine offers and reappying the the same medical schools

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lekky

Original post by lekky
Also to point out that if it is financial problems you are concerned about, the burden will be a lot more after this year as the fees are increasing :frown:

I know... but I really cant go this year... if they allow me to reapply in the future, I might be able to earn enough money or borrow some to pay for even higher fees I know it is so painful but no way I can start this year even the fees are less

Original post by Stasiaxx
If you explain your situation i think they would allow you to defer. But good luck no matter what.

Thank you! As I said I am not sure I can even start next year if they give me a defferred offer... I would not feel good if I had to decline my deffered offer again next year... they would not ever accept my application again if I even decline my deferred offer after trying to get one :frown: I think the best way is I reapply :frown:

Original post by tooosh
Have you been living in Germany for at least 3 years?

Well 3 years at the point of Sept 2011.

No... about 2 years I am in a process of getting German passport :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by Iwanttobeamedic

That is just bad timing. I'd talk to your unis about deferring your offer and what will happen to your offer if your fee status changes, and to SF about eligibility for home fees (and therefore loans) if you break the 3 year mark before Sept 2012.
Reply 22
Do you have no way to borrow money from a bank or relatives?
Reply 23
Oh man thats a really painfull situation. But I think it could be possible to loan money from the bank. But the interest rates are probably massively high. Whatever you do I think it would be the best thing to defer if you're definitely sure you can't borrow the money from anywhere. So many things can change in 1 year, so deferred entry would be really the best option.
Original post by tooosh

Original post by tooosh
That is just bad timing. I'd talk to your unis about deferring your offer and what will happen to your offer if your fee status changes, and to SF about eligibility for home fees (and therefore loans) if you break the 3 year mark before Sept 2012.

Original post by lekky
Do you have no way to borrow money from a bank or relatives?

Original post by Giggy88
Oh man thats a really painfull situation. But I think it could be possible to loan money from the bank. But the interest rates are probably massively high. Whatever you do I think it would be the best thing to defer if you're definitely sure you can't borrow the money from anywhere. So many things can change in 1 year, so deferred entry would be really the best option.

Thanks you guys here so much for supporting me and suggesting me for asking the medical schools a deffered offer!
However it might sounds stupid but I feel not right if I persuade the medical schools to get the deffered offer and eventually decline it next year. I would just waste an offer for other medicine applicants waiting 2 years. It is also not good for me if after next year I can afford to go. I would not be accepted again if I declined their offers twice after they consider my special circumstances
The thing is I am not allowed to have a deferred offer as I am not home student ( I am an EU student )

Why can't you go for a Student Loan?

sorry- I have just read that you don't have an EU passport.
If you find a job for the next year or so are you going to do save enough money for unit given that the tuition fees are going up to 9000 pounds?
Maybe you could look into financial help from banks and if there is no solution then doing medicine in Europe should also be a possibility for you.

Best of luck.
(edited 13 years ago)
It's far easier to borrow £15000 than £45000. I'd look at taking out a professional development loan from a bank, you'd be in a much better position financially to go this year.
Reply 27
If you go to cardiff then you only pay 1,200 ish a year. My girlfriend is german and studies medicine there. Welsh and EU students pay less. Not sure if u knew that but maybe u could afford it?
Why not ask if you can defer for "personal reasons"?

Do you have to have an EU/German passport to get funding or is it based on how long you have lived in Germany?

Not to sound rude, but why will you have enough money to fund yourself for the whole 5/6 years after 1 year?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29

You should sort out your fee status first. I assume you are a German national (naturalized) as you are getting German passport. You are not giving details about where you resided but you are probably aware that residing in EU for less than 3 years priort to the course makes you liable for international fees (there are other conditions, too). International fees will not go up next year (at least not much) but they cannot be possibly financed from a part-time job, and the bank loan will be hard to get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending