Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by i<3NY
Also, does anyone know when you hear about what accommodation you get?

Unless I'm mistaken, I think emails are sent the week after A Level results come out.. I seem to remember reading that somewhere, but it's worth checking again!
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 761
Original post by saaail
Unless I'm mistaken, I think emails are sent the week after A Level results come out.. I seem to remember reading that somewhere, but it's worth checking again!

Ahh thanks :smile:
Finally :smile: I cannot express my happiness, wooooo conditional offer for A&F!!!!
Reply 763
Original post by redrose_ftw
Finally :smile: I cannot express my happiness, wooooo conditional offer for A&F!!!!

Pob avatar!!! :grin:

I found some old clips of him on youtube the other day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9k_Vpd7-ms
Original post by redrose_ftw

Yay :biggrin: Same course as me :smile:
Reply 765
Got an offer for History (V100) in December.. saw Kent today and contemplating firming it :smile:
There doesn't seem to be much of a "HELL YEAH I'M GOING TO KENT" attitude going on compared to some of the other threads I've seen. I don't get it, it's considered a good university (isn't it?) so it's just a bit strange that not all that many people seem too enthused about the idea. :confused:
Reply 767
Original post by StefanieLouise
There doesn't seem to be much of a "HELL YEAH I'M GOING TO KENT" attitude going on compared to some of the other threads I've seen. I don't get it, it's considered a good university (isn't it?) so it's just a bit strange that not all that many people seem too enthused about the idea. :confused:

HELL YEAH I'M GOING TO KENT!

I guess there are a lot of things for people to consider when choosing a university, and a lot of the courses I've seen people consider firming Kent for are quite practical ones which would demand a strong department with good facilities..

I'm extremely excited to be (hopefully!) going to Kent. It is a good university - good enough for me to firm it despite it not being the best for my course - and it's in a lovely area. It may not be the most architecturally beautiful or the most academically renowned, but there are many highly developed departments within the university. I suppose there are many people still waiting to decide on their firm, too..

Aside from smaller issues, I haven't yet heard anyone speak badly of their experience at Kent so there shouldn't be reason to worry.. I hope!
Reply 768
Original post by saaail

Ditto. :biggrin:
Original post by saaail

I guess there are a lot of things for people to consider when choosing a university, and a lot of the courses I've seen people consider firming Kent for are quite practical ones which would demand a strong department with good facilities..

I'm extremely excited to be (hopefully!) going to Kent. It is a good university - good enough for me to firm it despite it not being the best for my course - and it's in a lovely area. It may not be the most architecturally beautiful or the most academically renowned, but there are many highly developed departments within the university. I suppose there are many people still waiting to decide on their firm, too..

Aside from smaller issues, I haven't yet heard anyone speak badly of their experience at Kent so there shouldn't be reason to worry.. I hope!

I've firmed for English Lit. and it's not that I'm not excited myself about going - I can't wait to move to Canterbury, it seems the ideal place for me - but it does feel like a lot of people seem to overlook the university or just see it as an insurance for those with AAA grades. But maybe they're just snobs.
Lol, getting defensive over Kent before I'm even there. :biggrin:
Reply 770
But it does feel like a lot of people seem to overlook the university or just see it as an insurance for those with AAA grades. But maybe they're just snobs.
Lol, getting defensive over Kent before I'm even there. :biggrin:

I can't count how many times I've had to explain why I've actually firmed Kent - it does seem to be a typical 'insurance' university but I suppose that within that, it shows that it's respected. Kind of :redface:

I'm so defensive over it too! But I'd much rather live somewhere for three years and happen to go to university there rather than live somewhere for three years because I go to university there. Some of my peers don't really see the difference, but this is only the beginning of my planned academic career. I suppose I'm seeing these three years as a time to find myself, however cheesy that sounds, before pursuing further degrees more seriously.. And it seems like Canterbury is a great place for that, as is the university itself!
Original post by saaail
But I'd much rather live somewhere for three years and happen to go to university there rather than live somewhere for three years because I go to university there.

Spot on. I know people who are miserable at university in places like Liverpool and Leeds, who are coming home every chance they get because they hate where they're living. The 60's architecture doesn't bother me at all, and neither does the lack of nightclubs - if I'd wanted to go somewhere that was a typical "student city", I'd have applied there.

You're just right though. University isn't just about where you study, it's 3/4 years of your life, and people change so much during their time at university that I couldn't base my decision on what other people thought I should do. I feel like I'm rambling now haha, sorry if I haven't made much sense.
For anyone already at Kent, is there a mid-term break around October time?
Original post by asha_patel
For anyone already at Kent, is there a mid-term break around October time?

There is a "Reading Week" for a lot of modules, but not all, around the end of October, beginning of November, yes.

HOWEVER, if your modules are from different departments and schools, the chances are, your week off will not coincide, so you won't be able to go home. For example, for me, I had "Reading Week" for two of my modules one week, and for the others, the week after, meaning I had no lectures/seminars on certain days, but did the rest of the week so still had to be there.
Reply 774
Spot on. I know people who are miserable at university in places like Liverpool and Leeds, who are coming home every chance they get because they hate where they're living. The 60's architecture doesn't bother me at all, and neither does the lack of nightclubs - if I'd wanted to go somewhere that was a typical "student city", I'd have applied there.

You're just right though. University isn't just about where you study, it's 3/4 years of your life, and people change so much during their time at university that I couldn't base my decision on what other people thought I should do. I feel like I'm rambling now haha, sorry if I haven't made much sense.

I couldn't agree more! For my subject, my other offer (Queen Mary) is supposedly better, but I couldn't face the idea of living there for three years! Whereas living in Canterbury will be so nice and the area is so pretty. Plus, I'm obsessed with old buildings, castles and the whole 'cobbled streets' thing, so that might have helped a bit :wink:
Reply 775
The 60's architecture doesn't bother me at all, and neither does the lack of nightclubs - if I'd wanted to go somewhere that was a typical "student city", I'd have applied there.

You're just right though. University isn't just about where you study, it's 3/4 years of your life, and people change so much during their time at university that I couldn't base my decision on what other people thought I should do.

Original post by RosieRose
I couldn't agree more! For my subject, my other offer (Queen Mary) is supposedly better, but I couldn't face the idea of living there for three years! Whereas living in Canterbury will be so nice and the area is so pretty. Plus, I'm obsessed with old buildings, castles and the whole 'cobbled streets' thing, so that might have helped a bit :wink:

Ahh I'm so happy you both feel the same way about Kent! I'm excited to be studying there, of course, but I'm so excited about exploring the area.. These three/four years are going to change us completely, and I want to be in an environment where I can escape the stress of studying and get on the bus to the sea, or wander down cobbled streets, or even just sit on the grass and watch rabbits hop by :rolleyes: I also want to be somewhere which encourages me to do well rather than enforces me to perform, and Kent seems to offer that!

Finally, here's the 'hell yeah we're going to Kent' attitude this thread needed!

Brilliant post, definitely the right attitude to come to uni with!

As for the buildings, they don't even look thatbad.. :s:
Original post by Champagne Supernova
Brilliant post, definitely the right attitude to come to uni with!

As for the buildings, they don't even look thatbad.. :s:

The buildings in Canterbury itself more than make up for the buildings on campus anyway.
I'm suddenly getting extremely excited to go to Kent! Must be the fact that we're nearly on the last college term!!! :eek4:
Reply 779
Original post by nooneyouknow
I'm suddenly getting extremely excited to go to Kent! Must be the fact that we're nearly on the last college term!!! :eek4:

I feel exactly the same, Last day at school before study leave tomorrow!!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending