The Student Room Group

Do you have the "family rule" when it comes to relationships?

Poll

Would you go out of your way to dump someone to please your family?

Okay so I've just spoken to a friend who has told me he dumped his girlfriend because his family didn't like her. They weren't going out for long (2 months or so) but that isn't the point. He stated that his family didn't approve of her as an ideal girlfriend for him.

Does anyone else seem to follow this "family rule" when it comes to relationships?

Would you go out of your way to dump someone to please your family?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. I love my family but if they didn't like my partner, frankly, screw them.
Nope, unless their reasons for disliking her were justified e.g she in some way intentionally insulted them. Other than that, I wouldn't care what they thought, and I'd look forward to the awkward christmasses :tongue:
Reply 3
Yes, no relationships till I'm ready to marry! Doesn't mean i'm gonna ****ing follow it. Not going to disrespect them but not going to follow silly rules
Reply 4
Yeah no way, but quite frankly if I heard her family didn't like me, I'd be pretty likely to cause a scene and never feel like speaking to her again anyway. Can you imagine them being grandparents to your child? yeah thought not...
Reply 5
No.

Original post by Fynch101
Can you imagine them being grandparents to your child?

You have two sets of Grandparents to choose from, unless your own family hates you as well
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Our family rule is not too shag each other - if only all families felt the same way. :biggrin:
No - based on the fact my Mum and Stepdad wouldnt be together if they followed this rule because his stupidly unreasonable family thought that Mum was the devil coming to snatch their little boy/brother away...

Mum would support me whoever I was going out with because she trusts me to make my own decisions/mistakes...
Reply 8
My parents let me make my own decisions, and they generally approve of the guys I date, but the times when they haven't been overly happy has been with good reason and the relationships didn't work out anyway (age gaps, unfaithful guys etc..)
Reply 9
I don't think my family would ever dislike my partner for reasons that weren't legitimate, so badly that I felt I was pressured into breaking it off with them. My last partner wasn't liked too much by my dad, but I didn't mind.
My mum says i can date anyone but my sister
It's at times like these when I'm glad I wasn't born into a Muslim family.
Reply 12
Original post by qwerty7
I don't think my family would ever dislike my partner for reasons that weren't legitimate, so badly that I felt I was pressured into breaking it off with them. My last partner wasn't liked too much by my dad, but I didn't mind.

My mum didn't like my ex... due to him always showing up and staying for 2-3 weeks :/ (blergh long distance relationship). Even though she didn't like him she didn't expect me to get rid of him... but I do recall her jumping for joy when he ended it with me...
My family wouldn't dislike a gf without good reason.

Especially my Dad, when it comes to the girls I bring home he's fine (my sister and boys on the other hand :tongue:) My Mum's a protective one and I love her for it however even when she had a big problem with a girl (looking back she was right) she didn't show it around her for my sake.

If my family and a girl didn't get on though it would be a big hindrance to our future because my family mean the world to me. Tbh we would probably break up from the fights resulting from the situation. My gf gets on ridiculously well with my family atm. I actually wish she got on less well with my Mum and sister so I didn't have three women constantly ganging up on me (waiting for the reference from TSR's perv community on three women ganging up on me).
Reply 14
Yes, my family are strict and we come from South Africa but live in UK at the moment, their rules are: South African who is also a Christian.... does that sound like something that is common in the UK? lol... :P
Reply 15
I definitely wouldn't break up with someone because my family didn't like them. However, my family are incredibly important to me and anyone I date needs to be able to appreciate that :smile:
Reply 16
Just one rule in relationships: Don't accidentally start a family.
when i reach the marriage stage, i guess the family rule has to play a part

PS: your second option on your poll is :toofunny:
Given the relationships my family have (Bitter divorce to say the least) I'd take them disapproving of my relationship as a sign that I may of found the one.
Well I'm the one that's going to be shagging them not my parents :ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending