The Student Room Group

Had my license revoked - only been driving for..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tinsley
I have to say I don't really understand people who notice they are being tailgated at lights, I never dare look in my rear view mirror if I'm approaching lights in case they change/car in front suddenly stops and by glancing away at the wrong moment I hit them.

I realise that you are worried about going into the back of someone but this doesn't mean you shouldn't check your mirrors. On the approach to lights you should definately glance in your mirrors - but you shouldn't fall into the trap of staring at them. You would recieve a minor fault on your driving test for not checking your mirror on approach to lights, afaik.
Reply 61
Original post by TheFatController

I realise that you are worried about going into the back of someone but this doesn't mean you shouldn't check your mirrors. On the approach to lights you should definately glance in your mirrors - but you shouldn't fall into the trap of staring at them. You would recieve a minor fault on your driving test for not checking your mirror on approach to lights, afaik.

Its not like I don't check them for long, but if I'm approaching lights and say within 4-6 car lengths I don't look in them because I feel I ought to be looking in front of me by then for the lights to change/cars in front stopping or changing lanes. Where I live now though to be fair it is very busy and so everyone squashes close together and nips in and out so blink and half the time someone will pull out in front of you or change lane and not have looked to see you hence nearly smack into you. On the way in and out of town there are three lanes of traffic running together and in 150 yards people will undertake you etc, think that's a more likely accident than getting hit from behind.

Thing is if you have traffic lights on red and someone looks like they are going to hit you, are you really meant to go through on a red? I can't imagine you are so I just figure if I can't do anything about them hitting me why focus looking behind me. My instructor used to ban me from looking in mirrors when I was stopped at lights and only check when I moved off because I used to feel really intimidated by buses maybe it stems from there lol :colondollar:

If you are stationary at a red light or slowing down to stop, what are you meant to do if it looks like someone will hit you? How important is it to obey red lights? Just because I always think what if an ambulance comes up behind you with its lights/sirens on and the light's red?! I'm such a wimp driver :redface:
Reply 62
pissed
I know its a pain in the arse and hindsights a bitch but at the end of the day if youd stopped for that light and he rear ended you, it would have been his fault! I know in lessons youre taught to pay attention to what the person behind you is doing but you cant let them push you into doing something you arent supposed to do. Dont let pricks like him intimidate you!

On a more helpful note... just take the test again, i know its expensive but you passed so recently that you'll still know exactly what to do. And its really admirable what youre trying to do for your little sister!
Reply 64
For the first time on this forum, I'm genuinely sorry for you, OP.

Speaking of traffic light cameras, what do they look like? Every time I've 'accidentally' gone through a red... I've been safe. I thought they were a hoax?
Original post by Tinsley

If you are stationary at a red light or slowing down to stop, what are you meant to do if it looks like someone will hit you? How important is it to obey red lights? Just because I always think what if an ambulance comes up behind you with its lights/sirens on and the light's red?! I'm such a wimp driver :redface:

All interesting questions which I wish I had an answer to! Hopefully one of TSR's resident driving instructors will notice this and post here to clarify.
I think that strictly speaking it is against the law to run a red light to let an emergency vehicle through :confused: - although the fact that you were doing so to let an emergency vehicle through would probably be accepted as a valid defence. Maybe someone else can clarify.
Original post by TheFatController

I think that strictly speaking it is against the law to run a red light to let an emergency vehicle through :confused: - although the fact that you were doing so to let an emergency vehicle through would probably be accepted as a valid defence. Maybe someone else can clarify.

I can't find the source I heard it from, but I remember reading that you should never go through a red light (or break any other road laws eg speeding) to let an ambulance past. I've often seen ambulances driving on the wrong side of the road to get through a traffic light junction where their side of the road has stationary cars on it.

The Highway Code (219) states that 'You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs.'

I believe 'traffic signs' includes traffic lights.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
I posted the what do I do if I'm at a red light and an ambulance comes on another forum. Couple people drive ambulances on there and the consensus was if you can't move over go part way through the red night but NOT fully just over the line enough to move out the way.

Apparently cameras photograph your rear number plate and only if you go all the way through does the camera register and take a photo, but if you are part way through, then wait there til the traffic where you were starts to move again go and it shouldn't even be triggered.

People said as well never go on the wrong side of the road its up to the ambulance to do that if they need to just go slowly and try not to be parked alongside another car.

It really makes me paranoid though I live near a big hospital and we always have ambulances around, hear at least three a day if I'm in the house and sat outside probably hear over 10 some days, terrified of getting in the way but don't want to get myself in trouble either.

This will so happen to me next week :rolleyes: :redface:
When you get tailgated, drive slower until they get the message.

Because I regularly drive on dual carriageways I always re-overtake them and if they still tailgate i slow down some more :wink:
Reply 69
Why not pay for speed course instead of having 3 points.. I m sure they can offer you that if you ask for it..
Original post by AdamZ
Why not pay for speed course instead of having 3 points.. I m sure they can offer you that if you ask for it..

you have to be offered it, and be only a few mph over the limit
Original post by Furgo
Three weeks :frown:

First was when my young sister had a fit in the middle of the night. I was so worried that I didn't want to wait for an ambulance so I rushed her into hospital. I was as safe as I could be despite my panic but was doing 40 I'm a 30 zone. I didn't see the speed camera until it was too late and only managed to get my speed down to 35. I thought i could appeal this because of the 10% speed rule and the circumstances but I got 3 points and a fine. I understand that it was stupid but it was the middle of the night and I was so worried about the little'un :frown:

The 2nd happened a few days ago - I went through an amber because this guy was tailgating me and I was so scared he'd crash into me if I stopped. But just as I went through it turned to a red light and it just so happens to be the first lights ive ever seen with a camera.

I can't believe I've lost my license just 3 weeks after passing :frown: :frown: do you think that's some sort of record? Certainly not one I'm proud of :frown: sorry for the rant guys

30 + 10% is 33 LOL, though I feel your pain, very unfortunate
Reply 72
Original post by fwed1

Original post by fwed1
Ambulances would usually take no more than 8 minutes to get there if his sister was life threatening, which fitting is usually not, and it has a driver who has had 3 weeks intensive training on how to drive on blue lights and claiming exemptions.

Tbh this completely depends on where in the country you're living! I've never had an ambulance arrive any sooner than about 25/30 minutes. If you live in a rural area, there's no doubt that it's much quicker to drive than wait for an ambulance.

I don't live in the country anymore but even so I had an accident at work over Christmas and was bleeding loads from the head and that time the ambulance co-ordinating people rang us back and said they couldn't spare an ambulance at all!?! That was after we'd been waiting about 15 mins already for it.
Reply 73
http://www.ukspeeding.co.uk/SpeedFines.htm

This does only apply to 37 of the 44 police forces in the country, and I'm not sure which forces those 7 are, but still thats pretty good odds.
Original post by Furgo
The 2nd happened a few days ago - I went through an amber because this guy was tailgating me and I was so scared he'd crash into me if I stopped. But just as I went through it turned to a red light and it just so happens to be the first lights ive ever seen with a camera.

You should of let him crash into you as he pays for the damage, you could of faked a neck injury on top of that and hey presto :cool: or am I the only one that'd do this?

And on the camera issue, you need to drive a wee bit more as there are lots that have cameras on them or just after them....
I'm concerned at the amount of people saying here that you should have allowed to be rear ended. Truth be told, you shouldn't have been in the position for him to rear end you with lights coming up; you should have been slowing down far in advance to hitting the lights if he was that close to your 6 (in the same way you should deal with tailgaiters on the motorway), the greater the distance you slow down over, the less likely a collision is, giving you more than enough space to slow him to a safe stop.

Not having a snipe on my high horse, avoiding accidents from behind is something they don't teach you for your test (but bloody well should) and it's something you don't pick up until you have experience, so it's easy to see why you might have paniced and jumped the light. But ultimately it takes two to have an accident, and part of avoiding one can be to influence those around you.

just one of those things, it's your fault at the end of the day, but imo you were just unlucky. Many new drivers make the same mistakes and just dont get caught. enjoy your last month or so of driving for a while and remember it's not the end of the world, you can re-test and start over..
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Furgo
I do follow the rules of the road, I was just so worried :frown:

no you don't as has been shown by these incidents

as for the first one you are an utter utter knob of the first order, you drove dangerously in an unmarked vehicle without warning devices in response to a percieved medical emergency , did you make it to the hospital in substantially less than 8 minutes ?

you put yourself, your sister, the other passengers in the vehicle and other road users at risk while your sister recieved suboptimal care...

why didn't you concentrate on ABCs and giving any prescribed rescue meds while awaiting a 999 response ? did you want to be the hero ?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by L i b
That's simply not true. Judges have discretion over sentencing issues.

Even despite being guilty of an offence, transporting someone to hospital in an emergency or even simply the need to use a car for certain purposes are both perfectly reasonable grounds to highlight in a plea in mitigation. Any outcome, including being entirely admonished, or a fine without penalty points, is possible.

the OP will be unable to demonstrate that he was claiming exemptions under the provisions for 'a vehicle used for Ambulance purposes' as he is not a CQC registered Independent Ambulance Provider, NHS Ambulance Trust or the British Forces ...

look what happened to this self styled hero ...

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-west-yorkshire-news/2010/05/22/asbo-for-meltham-man-who-used-999-blue-light-to-drive-to-mum-s-house-86081-26496923/
Original post by alibee
Tbh this completely depends on where in the country you're living! I've never had an ambulance arrive any sooner than about 25/30 minutes. If you live in a rural area, there's no doubt that it's much quicker to drive than wait for an ambulance.

but unless you have a fully equipped and crewed ambulance present ,
- the standards of care not being delivered on your 'heroic mercy dash' lead to adverse outcomes
- a 'heroic mercy dash' to the wrong hospital will lead to adverse outcomes,
- you do not have warning devices, passive livery and a 3 or more week emergency driving course

I don't live in the country anymore but even so I had an accident at work over Christmas and was bleeding loads from the head and that time the ambulance co-ordinating people rang us back and said they couldn't spare an ambulance at all!?! That was after we'd been waiting about 15 mins already for it.

Cat B or Cat C emergency not a Cat A like a seizure ...
Reply 79
Original post by zippyRN
the OP will be unable to demonstrate that he was claiming exemptions under the provisions for 'a vehicle used for Ambulance purposes' as he is not a CQC registered Independent Ambulance Provider, NHS Ambulance Trust or the British Forces ...

look what happened to this self styled hero ...

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-west-yorkshire-news/2010/05/22/asbo-for-meltham-man-who-used-999-blue-light-to-drive-to-mum-s-house-86081-26496923/

No ****, Sherlock.

Original post by fosters88
Point 1, unlucky, as others have suggested put together a case of mitigation.

Too late. She's already accepted a fine and penalty points.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending