The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Got e-mailed a reading list today! Can't let this distract me cos I need to get the grades first!!! :smile:
should i be learning any lingo?
Original post by bigbosomsevie
should i be learning any lingo?

Some colleges give you a fresher's pack with a glossary at the back!!:smile:
Heya, John's 2nd year here. Any John's freshers here, I was just wanting to get your feedback on what you think about the accommodation ballot - I think you've just received information about it? I'm on the JCR and we're thinking of getting rid of the balloting system. What's your opinion? PM me or leave a message on my profile :smile:
Original post by Got the tshirt
Some colleges give you a fresher's pack with a glossary at the back!!:smile:

wonderful, thanks!
do i have to say i'm "reading" english?
i prefer "studying". it's not a deal-breaker.
I prefer 'studying' too. I was put in the pool so I got my offer via phonecall and I was told I had an offer to 'read' Education with English and Drama and for ages I was like 'read'?!? Of course I'd heard it before and I knew thats what its called but it just threw me cos it is kinda random lol :tongue:
Reply 1466
Original post by magicalyoghurt
I prefer 'studying' too. I was put in the pool so I got my offer via phonecall and I was told I had an offer to 'read' Education with English and Drama and for ages I was like 'read'?!? Of course I'd heard it before and I knew thats what its called but it just threw me cos it is kinda random lol :tongue:

Bless my mother's soul, she didn't know what 'to read' meant in the context of Cambridge xD
So when one of her friends asked her what subject I was going to read, she looked at them with a blank face. Understandably, she was confused too - it's a bit odd intially if you haven't heard of it before. Maybe I should have filled her in - whoops :tongue:
Original post by bigbosomsevie
wonderful, thanks!
do i have to say i'm "reading" english?
i prefer "studying". it's not a deal-breaker.

I asked my sister and she said everyone says 'I'm doing .......'. Perhaps she doesn't mix with any posh people !:smile:
Hi everyone!

Looking for some advice. I applied to Emmanuel then got a pooled offer for Medicine at Newnham. It looks amazing and of course I still want to go, but I'm thinking of changing course to Nat Sci (Physical). I'd definitely be happy studying medicine if I couldn't swap, but it's just I'd be waaay happier in physics:colondollar:
I don't know when, who or how would be best to ask about it. Also I'm really scared that if they don't let me swap they'll take away my medicine offer too :frown:

Any ideas?
Reply 1469
Original post by thegrasstree
Hi everyone!

Looking for some advice. I applied to Emmanuel then got a pooled offer for Medicine at Newnham. It looks amazing and of course I still want to go, but I'm thinking of changing course to Nat Sci (Physical). I'd definitely be happy studying medicine if I couldn't swap, but it's just I'd be waaay happier in physics:colondollar:
I don't know when, who or how would be best to ask about it. Also I'm really scared that if they don't let me swap they'll take away my medicine offer too :frown:

Any ideas?

Congrats firstly for an offer for Medicine!
There was a topic started about a month ago where someone asked if they could swap courses after being given an offer. ( Link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1562946)

The general concencus by various members on TSR was that it's probably better to wait till you get to college in October to express that you want to change.

Isn't the Medicine degree at Cambridge an Intercalated degree? So in your 3rd (?) year I believe you can study a separate subject, which in your case could be physics, if they don't let you change places :smile:

On the other hand, Medicine is an extremely competitive subject, soo you may want to notify the college earlier. I'm not sure.
You know, you could always email them and just check what their procedure is - they won't just take your offer away if you simply ask! :smile:
Original post by thegrasstree
Hi everyone!

Any ideas?

My sister (first year medic) has a friend who is changing to phys nat sci from medicine. I think he is going to finish his first year first. He had been talking about it since last November but has only just bit the bullet.
Reply 1471
Also shouldn't it be possible to change to part IB of any subject (of course only with permission of the college and/or university) after having finished part IA of the tripos.
Reply 1472
Original post by Bumbl
Also shouldn't it be possible to change to part IB of any subject (of course only with permission of the college and/or university) after having finished part IA of the tripos.

Yes, it is technically possible, but like many possibilities, this doesn't imply that it's guaranteed. It requires permission from various sources, frequently a reinterview at a time when you're trying to do all of your other work, a required grade at the end of the year (2.i usually, which can be quite difficult if you're not enjoying your subject) and often a very hefty summer reading list. In short, it's much easier to do if you start the process when you arrive!

Departments do tend to be pretty flexible. I actually know of someone who started out in my Russian class and switched to History almost immediately, and then the year after switched back to something MML/AMES related, I don't remember exactly what. I know loads of other people who've switched as well: MML => PPS, Economics => History, Architecture => History of Art, and there's even a girl on her year abroad at the moment who is switching from MML to History of Art when she gets back, so changes are quite common. A switch from Medicine to PhysNatSci shouldn't pose any problems that I can see, particularly if you just mention it to people when you arrive in Cambridge. I'd wait until you've got your grades and then contact the relevant people at your college to start sorting it out. They won't take your offer away :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1473
Original post by Zoedotdot
Yes, it is technically possible.

I like having exit strategies :wink:
Reply 1474
Original post by Bumbl
I like having exit strategies :wink:

Haha yes, I looked into it when I was overtaken by Russian despair in first year. I ended up not mentioning it to anyone in the end and thought I'd stick it out for a while, and now I'm in Russia and taking only Russian papers next year. So it's sometimes best not to be hasty :biggrin:
Reply 1475
Original post by Zoedotdot
Haha yes, I looked into it when I was overtaken by Russian despair in first year. I ended up not mentioning it to anyone in the end and thought I'd stick it out for a while, and now I'm in Russia and taking only Russian papers next year. So it's sometimes best not to be hasty :biggrin:

I found that Russian has a very steep learning curve. Basics take ages but then you progress fast. (When I made good progress I had to drop it though ;( )
Original post by SoapyDish
Heya, John's 2nd year here. Any John's freshers here, I was just wanting to get your feedback on what you think about the accommodation ballot - I think you've just received information about it? I'm on the JCR and we're thinking of getting rid of the balloting system. What's your opinion? PM me or leave a message on my profile :smile:

Ah I've just asked about this is the Cambridge Chat Thread... How exactly does it work? And what would be the alternatives? :smile:
Original post by Smelly Ellie
Ah I've just asked about this is the Cambridge Chat Thread... How exactly does it work? And what would be the alternatives? :smile:

I posted something here...If that doesn't answer it let me know :smile:

Congrats on the offer btw, I have a friend who does VetMed and she said the Director of Studies is awesome :biggrin:
Original post by SoapyDish
I posted something here...If that doesn't answer it let me know :smile:

Congrats on the offer btw, I have a friend who does VetMed and she said the Director of Studies is awesome :biggrin:

He is!! And thanks :smile:

Not too sure what it means, am I supposed to be doing anything now? And can I ask for a particular room or just type of room (Fell in love with where I was on the open day :love:)
Reply 1479
is anyone with a cambridge offer thinking of NOT STAYING IN THIER ACCOMODATION?
please get back to me!!
:smile:
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending