The Student Room Group

Why don't students just go for the degrees that don't charge?

would you say
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe because not everyone wants to be a nurse

edit: neg rep for making a valid point?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Because if you want to be an Areonatical Engineer for example, theres no cheap degree available. Unless you self teach somehow.

Degree level industry/proffessions needs relevent qualifcations...

Its not like the degree is just filler, you actually learn **** I assume.

Original post by alio~
Ok but Im talking about the people who don't seem to know what they want to do anyway.:

Thats even more illogical.
If you dont know what you want, why spend X thousands of pounds on a very specialized degree?
Uni is not like school. You dont have to go, and you can go at any time in your life.
And you certainly will not end up with a pass mark if your there purely out of confusion.

Original post by alio~
Its as hard as you make it really, mental health nursing is fairly easy Im only in uni 2 days a week.

so, thats the measure for degrees? how much time you have lounge about?

Original post by alio~
Similarly couldnt a degree in nursing be useful for getting the same jobs that an health and social care graduate would apply for

You could apply for the job, but you would be rejected pre-interview because there are 4-10 other applicants who actually went out and got the one correct Degree for the job.

You couldnt deal with a delicate situation, such as taking a child into social care if your only trained in how to measure somebodies blood pressure. Thats just a ridiculous statement. If you could do that, then why isint there one General Studies Degree that teaches us everything and is applicable to all careers?

Original post by alio~
Thats not my logic that came from you.

Errr, no. You said it. We are just stunned at your lack of it.

Original post by alio~
Yes but my point is does a nursing degree HAVE to be used for just nursing, im sure there are lots of areas in healthcare that would make a nursing graduate very employable.

Thats why so many of us are unemployed?

Key words in bold. You need to learn somthing about the world as it! you just assume life is that easy because its fair.
Im sorry, you are painfully Naive, and its only gonna cost you when you find out how much **** us 'Young People' are wading through in the job market. You NEED to get your head straight if you want to survive.

(WOW I got in early on one of these for a change! Im gonna edit in some more troll! and Im gonna keep editing the troll cos THE WHOLE WORLD can see it now! Muahahaha.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
I doubt a degree in nursing is going to help prospective engineers/lawyers/mathematicians...
You seem to forget that nursing students get far less loan than most students, and get a bursary instead. This still equates to less than what a lot of people get in loans.
Reply 5
If a degree in nursing will help me become an investment banker or stockbroker I'll cancel my ucas for economics right now.
Reply 6
Original post by alio~
Would you say that it is fair that, with tuition fees now being £9000 a year, nursing students get their fees paid for while also getting a bursary of about £125 a week? I know they are on placement 50% of the time but thats even better as they are building up work experience to and increasing their employability

Couldnt people do nursing and then use the degree to do something similar/something else?

I doubt many people who don't want to become nurses do nursing, it's not a general subject like english or philosophy and I imagine it's quite difficult, with the long hours and blood and guts at work. Probably not worth the effort unless you want to be a nurse.
Reply 7
Brilliant plan, your logic is totally sound. Everyone just be nurses!
Reply 8
It depends what you want to do. I couldn't stick three years studying nursing; fair play to anyone who does want to do it, but it's so far removed from my interests that it's unreal, so I doubt I'd make it to the end of the degree.
Reply 9
I'd pay money to not be a nurse! Some jobs aren't for everyone, the tuition fees are nothing compared to earning potential with some courses!

EDIT: Why the neg, blood makes me throw up!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Because I don't want to be a nurse :holmes:
Reply 11
Original post by xulander
Maybe because not everyone wants to be a nurse

edit: neg rep for making a valid point?

Ok but Im talking about the people who don't seem to know what they want to do anyway. I dont see why someone would pay to do a psychology degree or say one in health and social care when they can get paid to do a nursing degree. When I worked as a nurse assistant quite a few people who I worked with said they had done psychology and similar degrees which had got them nowhere. They ended up doing nurse training anyway. Similarly couldnt a degree in nursing be useful for getting the same jobs that an health and social care graduate would apply for:confused:
Reply 12
Original post by Wookie42
Brilliant plan, your logic is totally sound. Everyone just be nurses!

Thats not my logic that came from you.
It's people thinking "yay, free degree!" that make it even more difficult for people who have a genuine passion for nursing to get a place in university.
Reply 14
Original post by alio~
Ok but Im talking about the people who don't seem to know what they want to do anyway. I dont see why someone would pay to do a psychology degree or say one in health and social care when they can get paid to do a nursing degree. When I worked as a nurse assistant quite a few people who I worked with said they had done psychology and similar degrees which had got them nowhere. They ended up doing nurse training anyway. Similarly couldnt a degree in nursing be useful for getting the same jobs that an health and social care graduate would apply for:confused:

you're missing the point, when people start doing a degree - they don't necessarily know what they actually want to do

If they did want to be a nurse from the start then they would have done a nursing degree rather then a psychology degree
Reply 15
Original post by xulander
you're missing the point, when people start doing a degree - they don't necessarily know what they actually want to do

If they did want to be a nurse from the start then they would have done a nursing degree rather then a psychology degree

Yes but my point is does a nursing degree HAVE to be used for just nursing, im sure there are lots of areas in healthcare that would make a nursing graduate very employable. Im not talking about the maths/economics areas.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by alio~
Its as hard as you make it really, mental health nursing is fairly easy Im only in uni 2 days a week.

But what about the work? Is that easy too?
Reply 17
Original post by LeeC
But what about the work? Is that easy too?

well placements are to learn we are supernumery so guide our own learning much of the time. As students we can get experience in lots of areas too we dont have to be on the ward all the time we can shadow a physio, social worker or OT for a day therefore gain work experience in areas other than nursing.. which is useful imo if we change our mind about nursing lol. Since half of the course is vocational you are learning lots of skills too like first aid, clinical skills etc which can be applied to other jobs. Whereas on healthcare degrees that you pay to do you will be paying £9000 a year and not be getting all this work experience. Just my opinion.
(edited 13 years ago)
If nursing opens doors in the archaeological world then sign me up.

Also I'm male. No offence to male nurses but yeah not gonna happen.
Reply 19
Original post by RobertWhite
I'd pay money to not be a nurse! Some jobs aren't for everyone, the tuition fees are nothing compared to earning potential with some courses!

EDIT: Why the neg, blood makes me throw up!!!

Thats why I did mental health theres a lot less of it (depending on where you work anyway).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending