The Student Room Group

Corned beef - why doesn't it come in NORMAL tins??

Seriously, the most frustrating thing ever...

The only food to come in an irregular can, together wit ha really handy looking key... right until you attempt to use it, wrap it round that piece of metal and twist... and more often than not the metal snaps off instead of opening the can!

Does anyone know why corned beef is packaged like this, or any good tips for opening the ****ing cans??
Reply 1
I didn't realise people still ate corned beef!
Reply 2
Because corned beef isn't for eating, it's for storing up in case of a nuclear holocaust.
Reply 3
I opened a tin of corned beef last week and of course the metal key snapped off and went flying across the room so the only way to open it was to once again destroy another tin opener, they really don't like them corners! Now I can't get into a tin of beans cos that ****ing tin opener is all bent to ****!
Reply 4
Corned beef was produced to provide soldiers with protein in the war, so they needed to be stored. Round tins waste space, square-ish tins tessellate so they can pack more into a space. You cant open a square tin with a tin opener, hence the weird key thing.
corned beef hash.... nomnomnom
Reply 6
Original post by superwolf
Because corned beef isn't for eating, it's for storing up in case of a nuclear holocaust.

You've clearly never had a corned beef and pickled beetroot sandwhich!
Reply 7
ive never had problems opening corned beef no offense but maybe your just a moron...XD
Reply 8
Original post by ikoghoo
Corned beef was produced to provide soldiers with protein in the war, so they needed to be stored. Round tins waste space, square-ish tins tessellate so they can pack more into a space. You cant open a square tin with a tin opener, hence the weird key thing.

You learn something new everyday..
Original post by kopite493
ive never had problems opening corned beef no offense but maybe your just a moron...XD

Oh the irony.... :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Original post by superwolf

To be fair I've actually had these tins for about five years... they last forever! Normally I'd buy some good quality ham, but I haven't been to the supermarket for a while and I'm waiting for payday after shelling out on holidays, driving test etc... so corned beef it is - if I can open it!
Reply 11
Original post by ikoghoo

That has to be fact of the day! Cheers :smile:
Original post by SirMasterKey
Oh the irony.... :rolleyes:

for starters the last part was a joke

secondly im on the internet why would i care about grammar am i being graded on this? no

does it have some significant importance to my future? no

does your take less time to write than you are or you're? well yes

so which word am i going to use on an internet forum? hmmmm that's a tough one
Most people snap the keys off because they don't remove the key and turn it around so that the bit you grip is below the bottom of the tin before replacing it, they just grab the tin and start turning. Not saying you did that, but I've never snapped one before doing it my way!
Original post by Pegs
You've clearly never had a corned beef and pickled beetroot sandwhich!

its sounds so wrong but it feels so right!!! tell me more! :biggrin:
Get yourself one of these bad boys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener

They'll open any tin you care to try.
Reply 16
Original post by EssexDan86
Seriously, the most frustrating thing ever...

The only food to come in an irregular can, together wit ha really handy looking key... right until you attempt to use it, wrap it round that piece of metal and twist... and more often than not the metal snaps off instead of opening the can!

Does anyone know why corned beef is packaged like this, or any good tips for opening the ****ing cans??

You can't open a square tin with a tin opener, hence the key and it's shaped bigger at the top than the bottom so you can get it out more easily, it would just get stuck otherwise and if you did that with a round tin it wouldn't stand up properly!
Reply 17
Original post by EssexDan86
That has to be fact of the day! Cheers :smile:

The tins are also designed so that the rectangular "end" that is detached fits over the sharp edges of the larger part of the can, thus "closing the can" so one tin could be re-packed to provide multiple portions.
I've never had this problem... you are switching the key so it turns easier, right?

Quick Reply

Latest