The Student Room Group

What's your BMI and does it "match you" ?

So today I found out that my BMI is 28 :s-smilie:

Wasn't very impressed at all seeing as I am never called fat. I don't have moobs or anything and my stomach is well toned and in September I had a 6 pac when I was weighing maybe a few pounds less than I do now. Obviously I'm not going to lose any sleep over it because I'm happy with my body and apparently my gf does too from her response of "don't you dare try and lose any weight":rolleyes:

Yeah so what I mean by does it match you is does your BMI "classification" fit how you and other people see yourself.

Based on the fact my BMI is the way it is, I'm sure some people who have a technically obese BMI will actually look good within their body. So even if your BMI says you are underweight is that how you look etc. ?

18-25 normal apparently
25-30 overweight (so apparently I'm not far from obese)
30-40 obese
40+ morbidly obese (this is not on the site I used the BMI calculator from but from supersize vs superskinny yesterday when the doctor said it)

I'm 6ft3 and 226 pounds if anyone cares.

Scroll to see replies

18.8. Yes.
Reply 2
Mine's 25.6 so apparently i'm overweight too. The reason is BMI doesn't account for muscle mass. I'm 6'4" 210lbs.
Reply 3
BMI doesn't take into account muscle mass and heavier bones - just focuses on fat!

Many athletes are obese according to their BMI!
Reply 4
It's 21/22 and not really, I have a higher BMI than a few people I know of and I am definitely not the same size (ie. as big) as them. Well that's what years of swimming does for you I guess... :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
mine is 16 :smile: it seems about right...
Reply 6
Mine's 20 and I'd say that's right for me. I'm slim but I count still lose some weight and not look unhealthy.
Mine is 31. something, but i play rugby and gym a lot, I'm not fat, just get described as big, being 6,6ft, and 18st something
21 and yes I would say I'm normal, although I would say I should be slightly more on the large side of normal!

Body fat percentage is a better indication of actual obeseness!
My BMI is over 9000. This suits me.
Original post by MutantGecko
mine is 16 :smile: it seems about right...

Technically you're underweight but it doesn't take into account your build or amount of fat or anything so it could be fine for you :smile:

Mine is 21 - 5ft 9", 10 stone 3. Can't complain :smile:
Reply 11
Mine is somewhere between 18 - 20 I presume (I've not weighed myself in a while, but my clothes still fit so presume I've not put on/lost weight), and I do look fairly slim so yes, I guess so. This is mainy because I'm so tall though.
Reply 12
Original post by greeneyedgirl
21 and yes I would say I'm normal, although I would say I should be slightly more on the large side of normal!

Body fat percentage is a better indication of actual obeseness!

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/lose-weight/body-fat-calculator

According to that I'm an athlete :wink:

Girls can use that too btw even though the website is called mens.

Then again I have a friend who really needs to lose weight who falls under acceptable ...
Reply 13
Well according to BMI I am obese but then I have a 49" chest and 34" waist and play a lot of sport so tend to disregard it. Height 1.95, Weight 115kg
Original post by Arenas123
http://www.menshealth.co.uk/lose-weight/body-fat-calculator

According to that I'm an athlete :wink:

Girls can use that too btw even though the website is called mens.

Then again I have a friend who really needs to lose weight who falls under acceptable ...

Just over 25 (so just fall into acceptable rather than in shape)

When I did a fat percentage thing in the gym over a year ago, I was 33%, then after training I got down to about 23% and haven't done much since (plus first year at uni) so seems about right :smile:
Original post by Pink Bullets

Original post by Pink Bullets
18.8. Yes.

Jealous! 19.5 - at 5'9" I'd like it to be a tad lower
Original post by Evangelica
Jealous! 19.5 - at 5'9" I'd like it to be a tad lower

Lol, why be jealous? You'd only have to lose 5 pounds to have the same BMI as me. Nobody would notice the difference. :p:
23.2 although I'm hoping to go quite a lot lower as I'm training to be a lightweight rower.
Reply 18
24.16 no
Reply 19
Original post by tw7055
Well according to BMI I am obese but then I have a 49" chest and 34" waist and play a lot of sport so tend to disregard it. Height 1.95, Weight 115kg

What's finding clothes like with those sizes ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending