The Student Room Group

If hanging returned ...

If hanging returned, would you think, a good day out for all the family, or only for adults, or i know its good drama but not for me?

Me, I'd go along, want to see if the guy blubbed or not. Quite a few of the highway men of old acquitted themselves well when giving their final speech prior to be hanged. I think it would be really gripping to see. I'd take sandwiches, but no one under the age of twelve - don't want the little mites having nightmares.

Scroll to see replies

Death isn't entertainment. I disagree with the death penalty, but where it exists it should be a private affair.
Reply 2
I think I'd go along for the shiz, but its gotta be 18+ and they'd serve beer. What a great day out.
Reply 3
Original post by Rob da Mop
Death isn't entertainment. I disagree with the death penalty, but where it exists it should be a private affair.

this depends on the crime

take a rapist/pedo

i imagine they got a kick out of the humiliation they gave their victims they should be forced to endure some form of humiliation as far as im concerned
Original post by kopite493
this depends on the crime

take a rapist/pedo

i imagine they got a kick out of the humiliation they gave their victims they should be forced to endure some form of humiliation as far as im concerned

An eye for an eye and soon enough the whole world will be blind.
Reply 5

nope cause even the most basic of animals quickly learn to not do something that wil get them hurt

well unless there bart Simpson and there's cupcakes

but seriously most people would soon stop doing horrible things if they where forced to live what there victims had
Reply 6

isn't "deterrence" a major point of death penalty? so the more people see it, the more people will be deterred.
Reply 7
Oh Wow!!! Can't believe anyone would suggest hanging people for entertainment purposes :eek:. Thank God Human Right Act exist to stop such thing happening.
Reply 8
Original post by 419
Oh Wow!!! Can't believe anyone would suggest hanging people for entertainment purposes :eek:. Thank God Human Right Act exist to stop such thing happening.

in saudia arabia people are beheaded in football grounds. and yes, in england in the past people were hung publicly.
i'm amazed that you have heard of the human rights act, yet have such a shallow knowledge of history and politics.

yeah but Gandhi was probably suffering from protein deficiency when he said that.
I definately agree with the death penalty, there are some sick people out there. However doing it publically and inhumanely surely makes us as bad as them..? I say put them to sleep like we do to animals, that's what they are after all.
The problem with the death penalty, is that if you get it wrong, you can't just let the person go again and give them some money for the bit of their life that was wasted. That's it. And out legal system is far from perfect - the wrong people get sentenced probably every day.

And if you were wrongly accused of something and sentenced to death, then you would not want the death penalty in Britain. I don't want the death penalty in Britain. It's not even something I'd want to see/watch.

What about those who were blind already? Will they regain sight?
Reply 13
Original post by johnnn
I think I'd go along for the shiz, but its gotta be 18+ and they'd serve beer. What a great day out.

There could be death-themed toys and sweets too, a whole theme park with rides and stuff could practically be based around hangings. Awesome.
I am all for the death penalty, why did it even stop?
If people commit a crime they should be punished for it. Prison in modern days is like a holiday camp they get everything they wish in there, t.v, food think they even get xbox's and stuff like that now. Its as if they are getting rewarded more then been punished.
It should be like the old days, if you thiefed you get your fingers chopped of.
If you raped you get hung or be headed.
People like to go and watch cause it is watching actual justice and punishment instead of sending them to holiday camp.
This made me laugh :smile:

In all seriousness, they probably shouldn't publicly execute people.
That is one slippery slope you've got there. If it was seen as a fun 'day out' then they'd probably start charging to watch and then when the money the flowing in and they're running low of people on death row they could just start convicting people just for the sake of money.
Reply 17
Original post by Count Stefular
I definately agree with the death penalty, there are some sick people out there. However doing it publically and inhumanely surely makes us as bad as them..? I say put them to sleep like we do to animals, that's what they are after all.

I agree with the death penalty in some situations, and I don't think it should ever be public, but it really gets on my nerves when someone says "makes us as bad as them" or similar.

They brought it upon themselves by doing whatever act was serious enough to put them in that position. I wouldn't say public executing a child rapist "makes us as bad as them".

That said though I do agree it shouldn't be public.

Yes but theres 12 billion eyes in the world so quite a way to go there, and 99.9% wont be hanged for a crime

and now will you come back with "the road to damnation starts with small steps"? :smile:
Reply 19
I would take my friends to watch it as a philosophical experience. We would recoil in horror at the grim reality of death, but in so doing, our own lives would be reaffirmed and we would stop going about our daily business filling the void with drunken tedium, occasional bowling and the odd, rubbish film.

Needless to say, I think we would all find the whole experience enormously arousing. We would be like flag poles. In fact you could probably hang rapists off the end of them, if the gallows were found to be out of stock.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending