The Student Room Group

Women: Exposing your breasts in public, Is it empowering or exploitating?

Hey everyone, I was recently staying with some mates in America for Spring Break and whilst I was there partying there were dozens, if not hundreds of times when women (both and sober) exposed their breasts just because some guys wanted them to, or because they wanted to feel the sun on it or for some other reason. I've also noticed this happening at festivals and gigs and other places.

I was wondering: Have you ever exposed your breasts in public? Do you feel empowered by doing it (considering that in other countries that level of freedom doesn't exist for women)? What do you think of others who do it? Is it empowering or exploitative? And really why do you do it (or think others do it), I doubt anyone primarily does it to feel empowered, but if so it'd be interesting to hear why.

Cheers :smile:

Scroll to see replies

People aren't going to admit it but it's true:

American women are more confident and more sexually liberal than their British counterparts.
Reply 2
Neither, breasts aren't that big a deal for non-virgin adults who've seen a fair few pairs in their time.
Reply 3
"Spring Break"

Doesn't that explain it. It's like the American version of Magaluf :holmes:
Reply 4
I'd rather stick red hot forks in my eyes than expose my breasts in public.
Yummy.
Never done it so I don't know, but frankly I don't think I would care that much. HAving been in hospital for a while and had every nurse, orderly and anyone who happened to walk past see me naked means that I don't care that much anymore!
Reply 8
I wouldnt say its exploitative if the women are doig it willingly. I dont really see the big deal and how it makes women 'empowered'. Would you say a guy wapping his cock out all the time is empowering for him?
Reply 9
I think it's for tragic attention seekers, like the oxygen thieves who frequent Jerry Springer.

Sunbathing, fair play.
Reply 10
I don't see why women have to turn their bodies into a political statement at all. I can imagine American girls, especially posh ones, would love that sort of thing because of how much more uptight people are about sex in America.
Reply 11
i have flashed people a couple of times (on request of course) and i find it empowering. i have generally low self-esteem and poor body image, so i find that getting out of my comfort zone really helps me out. especially since i dont get the reactions i expect to get (i had rather small breasts and i expect negative comments but i always get positive comments).
Reply 12
It's not empowering, it's just cheap and nasty.
Tits or GTFO?
Reply 14
Original post by QI Elf
I'd rather stick red hot forks in my eyes than expose my breasts in public.

Your breasts that hideous?
Reply 15
Original post by Triple_H
Neither, breasts aren't that big a deal for non-virgin adults who've seen a fair few pairs in their time.

Original post by Holly Hiskey
Never done it so I don't know, but frankly I don't think I would care that much. HAving been in hospital for a while and had every nurse, orderly and anyone who happened to walk past see me naked means that I don't care that much anymore!

I would presume people would be quite apathetic but, there's still a vocal minority (maybe even more than a minority) that would say it's either empowering or exploitative - you can thank third wave feminism for that :tongue:
Perhaps people are more apathetic today but,In the 60s and 70s (even the 80s) people would be more vocal about it and more opiniated.
I have done life modelling a few times so yes I don't mind showing off my body, but I would only do it under circumstances which I deem a least fairly tasteful.
It'd make me feel like an object. I prefer to feel like a person.
Original post by Anonymous
I would presume people would be quite apathetic but, there's still a vocal minority (maybe even more than a minority) that would say it's either empowering or exploitative - you can thank third wave feminism for that :tongue:
Perhaps people are more apathetic today but,In the 60s and 70s (even the 80s) people would be more vocal about it and more opiniated.

Saying that, I think it's very different if you're doing it for a guy than if you're just sunbathing. I wouldn't care about doing it for an even tan (if I tanned in the first place), whereas I wouldn't want to do it for a stranger or whatever. I definitely wouldn't find that empowering.
Reply 19
Original post by Yawn11
Your breasts that hideous?

Yes. :smile:

I just fail to see the attraction to either boobs in general or getting them out for people to see.

Quick Reply

Latest