The Student Room Group

Why do people do the things they do?

Feeling really quite pissed off at the moment, why would a person show interest and suddenly go cold? :frown:

Now the back story, towards the end of January I went clubbing for a friend's birthday. We ended up at this small student union place. While we were there, I noticed a guy looking over at me, we exchanged looks but nothing came of it. Now, I'm not the most confident person in the world and would never normally approach a person for fear of rejection which is only magnified when you're surrounded by a group of your friends. Another problem was the fact that I thought, and still do, think that he is out of my league couldn’t understand why he would be interested in me.

So anyway, we had a great time at the club and I didn’t really think much of the guy and got on with life. A few friends of mine had heard of the student spot and wanted to check it out, I decided to come along since I had enjoyed it so much the first time. Over the next couple of weeks it became a regular thing, I would see the same guy occasionally and he would look over at my direction and when I looked over at him, he would quickly turn his head away. During this time I was also dating somebody for a month before realising I wasn’t attracted him and broke it off.

About a month later, I went back to the club and saw him again. This time we maintained eye contact for a while, was planning on approaching him but I had to leave early. Now, I know how ridiculous it sounds reading it back. Seeing the same guy for nearly three months and never speaking to him but unfortunately it seems to have happened somehow. I actually had arguments with my friends about the best way to approach him but since we both hang around in fairly big groups it would seem a little odd if either of us made a move. But since our last encounter, I finally had built up the idea in my mind that was interested in me and was anticipating bumping into him again.

So it was decided, I went back to the club a week later and he was there, staring right at me. At this point, my heart was thumping away and my hands were shaking. Yeah it wasn’t pretty, I decided to separate myself from the group and sit on my own, hoping he would join me. So I sat there with my phone out, looked over in his direction and he stood there looking a little uneasy. Eventually my friend came along and sat next to me, a few minutes the guy had left and I was gutted.

Now, this club posts pictures up on Facebook every week and I realised that the only way I was going to get anywhere was to contact him and since doing it face to face wasn’t working I decided to send him a friend request along with a nice message along the lines of ‘Hey, I keep seeing you around but I never got the chance to say hello. :smile: That was two weeks ago and I ‘ve heard nothing since…Now surely if he was interested in me and a little shy, he would appreciate the fact that I put myself out there like that? It doesn’t seem to make any sense to be honest and it’s been getting me down. I was drawn to him the moment we locked eyes but I was too scared to approach him and I finally make a move, he ignores me. :frown:

(I'm a guy BTW)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

(I'm a guy BTW)

Maybe he's straight? :iiam:
Reply 2
Because they like to do the things they do.

PS: Or he dosen't like you...
Or maybe he is shy because he doesn't want to be labelled gay by his friends?
I think the better question to ask is "Why don't people do the things they want to do?"
Reply 5
Original post by Yawn11
Maybe he's straight? :iiam:

Sorry I forgot to mention, it was gay club.
Reply 6
lol that bit on the end just changed everything. Maybe he's straight and was flirting for a laff. who knows, maybe he's not "out"
Original post by Anonymous
Feeling really quite pissed off at the moment, why would a person show interest and suddenly go cold? :frown:

Now the back story, towards the end of January I went clubbing for a friend's birthday. We ended up at this small student union place. While we were there, I noticed a guy looking over at me, we exchanged looks but nothing came of it. Now, I'm not the most confident person in the world and would never normally approach a person for fear of rejection which is only magnified when you're surrounded by a group of your friends. Another problem was the fact that I thought, and still do, think that he is out of my league couldn’t understand why he would be interested in me.

So anyway, we had a great time at the club and I didn’t really think much of the guy and got on with life. A few friends of mine had heard of the student spot and wanted to check it out, I decided to come along since I had enjoyed it so much the first time. Over the next couple of weeks it became a regular thing, I would see the same guy occasionally and he would look over at my direction and when I looked over at him, he would quickly turn his head away. During this time I was also dating somebody for a month before realising I wasn’t attracted him and broke it off.

About a month later, I went back to the club and saw him again. This time we maintained eye contact for a while, was planning on approaching him but I had to leave early. Now, I know how ridiculous it sounds reading it back. Seeing the same guy for nearly three months and never speaking to him but unfortunately it seems to have happened somehow. I actually had arguments with my friends about the best way to approach him but since we both hang around in fairly big groups it would seem a little odd if either of us made a move. But since our last encounter, I finally had built up the idea in my mind that was interested in me and was anticipating bumping into him again.

So it was decided, I went back to the club a week later and he was there, staring right at me. At this point, my heart was thumping away and my hands were shaking. Yeah it wasn’t pretty, I decided to separate myself from the group and sit on my own, hoping he would join me. So I sat there with my phone out, looked over in his direction and he stood there looking a little uneasy. Eventually my friend came along and sat next to me, a few minutes the guy had left and I was gutted.

Now, this club posts pictures up on Facebook every week and I realised that the only way I was going to get anywhere was to contact him and since doing it face to face wasn’t working I decided to send him a friend request along with a nice message along the lines of ‘Hey, I keep seeing you around but I never got the chance to say hello. :smile: That was two weeks ago and I ‘ve heard nothing since…Now surely if he was interested in me and a little shy, he would appreciate the fact that I put myself out there like that? It doesn’t seem to make any sense to be honest and it’s been getting me down. I was drawn to him the moment we locked eyes but I was too scared to approach him and I finally make a move, he ignores me. :frown:

(I'm a guy BTW)

HAHAHAHAHAHA fantastic troll.
Reply 8
For money or sex.
Reply 9
Original post by HistoryRepeating
HAHAHAHAHAHA fantastic troll.

How am I trolling? I was really getting my hopes up on this guy before he ignored me. Imagine thinking you won the lottery only to find out a few days later there had been a mistake, yeah that's how I feel atm. =/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending