The Student Room Group

For all you anti gun hoplophobes on here

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by Vanbrugh
I should also add that in the last few years, the military no longer gives soldiers ammunition for their military rifles (popular referendum backed this move). You can only buy it and then use it up on the same day at the shooting range.

I don't buy this, even here you can keep your shotgun and rifle ammo at home
Reply 361
Original post by Hardballer
guns haven't killed anybody, only people are capable of that

Yeah, you're right. **** it, let's give everyone access to nukes.
Reply 362

It sounds perfectly reasonable however i have no idea if this is true or not- it seems a little irrelevant. Having said this why would you assume it is unreasonable based on what WE can and cannot do? I believe the OP you quote has gone to considerable effort to show that you cannot infact make a valid comparison!
Reply 363
compare our gun crime per capita to the americans.

its far lower

im getting sick of all of there threads saying we need to protect ourselfs, we need guns bull****

how would you prevent a shooting like that

you are saying "I saw someone shout, i best shoot him before he shoots me"
Reply 364
Original post by Planto
Yeah, you're right. **** it, let's give everyone access to nukes.

are you retarded? we're talking about weapons you can defend yourself with personally? you gonna nuke a mugger asking for your cash?

:biggrin: It is against the rules on TSR to write in a foreign language without a translation so, to help you out, I will supply one for this:

Hm, your facts seem not to help my case, which has used the Swiss as an example of a high gun ownership society with little gun crime.

It appears the Swiss don't allow their gun owners to keep ammunition. How inconvenient for those that thought they have a low gun accident rate, and how inconvenient for those that want to justify ownership on the grounds of seld defence.

Perhaps we should change our gun laws, and eliminate all ammunition in the home.
Reply 366
Original post by Dan3va
compare our gun crime per capita to the americans.

its far lower

im getting sick of all of there threads saying we need to protect ourselfs, we need guns bull****

how would you prevent a shooting like that

you are saying "I saw someone shout, i best shoot him before he shoots me"

oh so I can't mention switzerland but you guys can mention America every other ****ing post, yes free men shouldn't have to ask to bear arms, else they are slaves, thats the point im trying to make
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 367
Original post by Good bloke
:biggrin: It is against the rules on TSR to write in a foreign language without a translation so, to help you out, I will supply one for this:

It appears the Swiss don't allow their gun owners to keep ammunition. How inconvenient for those that thought they have a low gun accident rate, and how inconvenient for those that want to justify ownership on the grounds of seld defence.

Perhaps we should change our gun laws, and eliminate all ammunition in the home.

I keep my shotgun ammo at home and I haven't had any accidents, you're just assuming everyones a moron who can't even cross the road without accidently jumping into a bus windscreen. Every firearm owner in this country keeps their ammo at home, is that plain enough english for you good sir? you need help interpreting that? theres 800,000 firearms owners in this country all with their ammo at home. How many accidents you hear of?
free men shouldn't have to ask to bear arms, else they are slaves, thats the point im trying to make

Yet Europe is peopled with those who consider themselves free, and few of them have the right to carry loaded weapons in the streets of Europe, not even the Swiss. I think you are the one with the problem.
Reply 369

Tranditionally the Swiss army gave you tins of ammunition for your rifle when you left military service. This is no longer done.

*Edit* Found an article: http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/Specials/Gun_debate/Background/Archives/Soldiers_can_keep_guns_at_home_but_not_ammo.html?cid=970614

You can keep ammunition for other non-military weapons at home. However, as said, these weapons are in a minority.

I am swiss and keep my service rifle at home without any ammo.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 370
Yet Europe is peopled with those who consider themselves free, and few of them have the right to carry loaded weapons in the streets of Europe, not even the Swiss. I think you are the one with the problem.

well the czech's have the right to coneal carry in their country, actually thats one country I haven't mentioned much. Czech republic has extremely liberal gun laws yet the murder rate there is quite low as well. Conceal carry a handgun is permitted and shotguns and low calibre rifles don't require registration. Low capacity shotguns don't require registration either, same here before 1968, over the counter item and yet back then gun crime was lower as well :rolleyes:
Reply 371
Original post by Vanbrugh
Tranditionally the Swiss army gave you tins of ammunition for your rifle when you left military service. This is no longer done.

You can keep ammunition for other non-military weapons at home. However, as said, these weapons are in a minority.

I am swiss and keep my service rifle at home without any ammo.

well it doesn't make sense as the point of the militia is to be able to mobilise a large army within 24 hours and without ammo for your weapons what are you going to do? I know the swiss leftist parties have been trying to clamp down on freedoms lately but still
Reply 372
I keep my shotgun ammo at home and I haven't had any accidents

So what exactly is this thread trying to prove. Yes, it is legal to own a firearm given you follow the correct procedure. The fac is just a way to ensure general safety- That it is safely stored, and to screen anyone who may pose a risk. If you have committed a crime which exempts you from owning a gun and you REALLY enjoy it as a sport, join a gun club and use the club guns.
Reply 373
Original post by L-J-B
So what exactly is this thread trying to prove. Yes, it is legal to own a firearm given you follow the correct procedure. The fac is just a way to ensure general safety- That it is safely stored, and to screen anyone who may pose a risk. If you have committed a crime which exempts you from owning a gun and you REALLY enjoy it as a sport, join a gun club and use the club guns.

Yes but we need a constitutional right to bear arms, and also people need a way to defend themselves on the street, even with just a taser or cs spray
Yes but we need a constitutional right to bear arms,

I don't think many agree with you. Most of us would rather have a constitutional right to come nowhere near anyone with a weapon.
Reply 375
I don't think many agree with you. Most of us would rather have a constitutional right to come nowhere near anyone with a weapon.

you don't have that right, criminals don't obey the laws
Reply 376
We have had a right to bear arms. Its just been brought up to date to stop every idiot bearing arms, or from people getting guns for no good reason. I think you read too many tabloids if you truly believe people 'on da streeeeet' need guns for protection. Anyone involved in anything that requires a gun for protection isnt going to worry about licensing.

How would you (OP specifically) control the right to bear arms. What age limit would you give it? What level of mental state would be required. How about people who have in the past commited crimes. Would some ex-cons be able to but not others? This isnt rhetorical as such, im genuinely interested what youd do different...
(edited 13 years ago)
criminals don't obey the laws

An outstanding insight.

Wait, isn't that the very definition of a criminal?
Reply 378
Original post by L-J-B
We have had a right to bear arms. Its just been brought up to date to stop every idiot bearing arms, or from people getting guns for no good reason. I think you read too many tabloids if you truly believe people 'on da streeeeet' need guns for protection. Anyone involved in anything that requires a gun for protection isnt going to worry about licensing.

How would you (OP specifically) control the right to bear arms. What age limit would you give it? What level of mental state would be required. How about people who have in the past commited crimes. Would some ex-cons be able to but not others? This isnt rhetorical as such, im genuinely interested what youd do different...

Adopt the same system as in the USA, specifically a state like Arizona or Vermont. It's usually 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns.
Reply 379
Adopt the same system as in the USA, specifically a state like Arizona or Vermont. It's usually 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns.

Ah i read the vermont laws wrong, so i stand corrected for any future posts.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending